Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach-E GTPE (ordered), 20 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Software Systems Integrator
Country flag
First, the background.
I've had my MME for 4 months. Bought it new in mid-December.
Blue Cruise Hands-Free would not work. Maps were out of date. They expired before I even bought the car. Called BEV support. They made what seemed to be a crazy suggestion. 10 Start Cycles. I'll detail this below.
It worked! Maps updated AND PowerUps started happening when they had not before.

Took my car to a dealership to get some module updates, etc. in January. It cost me some $$ but it came out with PowerUp 4.1.2. Shortly after, 4.1.3 came through.

Since then, all quiet on the MME front. I've watched several additional updates talked about here, but none for me.

What's New?
I went out last Thursday and did the 10 Start Cycle trick. Since then, I've had PowerUps 4.2.1 and 4.2.2 come through.
I know it sounds crazy, but just maybe, the 10 Start Cycles polls the server and prompts it for some love....
It seems to have worked for me.

10 Start Cycles
  1. Start your MME.
  2. Turn it off.
  3. Get out and lock it.
  4. Walk far enough away to disconnect PAAK and/or your key fob.
  5. Wait until interior lights turn off.
  6. Return to step 1.
Do this 10 times.
Sponsored

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Pretty soon you guys will have me standing on a fence post, on one leg, doing the crane while praying to the gods for an OTA. Remember when updating your stuff was easy. If I do it 11 times do I need to start over?

OP
OP
DadzBoyz

DadzBoyz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
LOL
10 or more. 11 won't hurt.
I've said the same kind of thing. When the BEV tech told me to do that, I thought she was kidding too. It's a silly way to do things, for sure.

I've said, before, that Ford needs to move to cumulative updates (any version can update to most current in one step) instead of their serial updates (must install all in order). That said, I'm not sure if it's possible with their current DevOps, hardware, and firmware configurations.

Even so, I think they're improving. There will be hiccups, speed bumps, and roadblocks that they'll have to deal with to get all cars on the same playing field. Even so, I think we're starting to see progress from some of their recent hires (leadership and otherwise) on the vehicle software team.

If they can fix and get past the current development problems, maybe they'll get to a point where they can focus on software creativity and fun vehicle improvements.

leehinde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
Took my car to a dealership to get some module updates, etc. in January. It cost me some $$ but it came out with PowerUp 4.1.2. Shortly after, 4.1.3 came through.
Why did it cost you anything?

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
It's not crazy... been posted in the forums earlier this year. Apparently checks in every 10 key cycles.

And yeah, a key cycle is a few mins so it takes some dedication to force this.

astrorob

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23MME GTPE, plug-in prius, 99 MBZ C43
Country flag
some dealers won't do module updates unless the car has demonstrated a problem which is covered by a TSB which mentions a module update. that's because they can only charge ford for the time in that situation. bringing an MME all the way up to date with FDRS can take a couple of hours, so it's not totally unreasonable.

my dealer apparently did some updates for me but complained that they were just doing me a solid as they were under no obligation to do the updates. i haven't re-checked with FDRS to make sure it really happened, but assuming they did, i'm glad for it as one of the problems with the door module software on 2023 cars is that you can have false alarm activations.

OP
OP
DadzBoyz

DadzBoyz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Oh, that’s a story I hate….
I dropped the car off with a list of things that were happening that were addressed by software/firmware updates that had not been applied. Most had TSB’s (Technical Service Bulletins). They ran the updates for those. Even so, that did not update all modules or bring me current on Power-Ups.
They charged ab hourly rate to update anything else that did not have a TSB.

Worst part is, I asked that EVERYTHING be updated by the dealer before I bought the car. I was told several times that is would be done.
It was not.
SO, I’m chasing this problem down with higher ups to get re-imbursed.

OP
OP
DadzBoyz

DadzBoyz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It's not crazy... been posted in the forums earlier this year. Apparently checks in every 10 key cycles.

And yeah, a key cycle is a few mins so it takes some dedication to force this.
Yes. I posted this solution earlier this year too. When I did, it was related to trying to get BlueCruise maps updated to get Hands-Free to work.
I re-posted because it also seems to have worked for triggering Power-Up updates for me as well.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
10 Start Cycles
  1. Start your MME.
  2. Turn it off.
  3. Get out and lock it.
  6. Return to step 1.
Do this 10 times.
Because Ford software engineers are too stupid to put a 'check for updates now' button on the software update screen. I mean... seriously.

OP
OP
DadzBoyz

DadzBoyz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Because Ford software engineers are too stupid to put a 'check for updates now' button on the software update screen. I mean... seriously.
There is one.
I don’t think it does anything….
But it’s there and looks pretty.

EasyPass

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium 4X, 2017 Fusion Energi PHEV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
First, the background.
I've had my MME for 4 months. Bought it new in mid-December.
Blue Cruise Hands-Free would not work. Maps were out of date. They expired before I even bought the car. Called BEV support. They made what seemed to be a crazy suggestion. 10 Start Cycles. I'll detail this below.
It worked! Maps updated AND PowerUps started happening when they had not before.

Since then, all quiet on the MME front. I've watched several additional updates talked about here, but none for me.

What's New?
I went out last Thursday and did the 10 Start Cycle trick. Since then, I've had PowerUps 4.2.1 and 4.2.2 come through.
I know it sounds crazy, but just maybe, the 10 Start Cycles polls the server and prompts it for some love....
It seems to have worked for me.

10 Start Cycles
  1. Start your MME.
  2. Turn it off.
  3. Get out and lock it.
  6. Return to step 1.
Do this 10 times.
Originally posted 1/23/23 when I was in a OTA drought since 11/1/22:
"I think I heard from my cousin's, step-sister's, boyfriend's, neighbor that you have to balance crossed chicken bones on the hood of your car and think intense thoughts, or something like that, in order to reliably get OTAs as they come out.............but I might be mistaken on that.
Really, though, sometimes it seems like voodoo witchcraft for these updates to show up on their own."

As of today I'm up to 4.2.1 getting a flood of updates in the week following 1/24/23. Guess those chicken bones really worked! 🤣

Deleted member 16048

There is one.
I don’t think it does anything….
But it’s there and looks pretty.
Yeah, there is but it's "greyed out" when an update has been completed so it's pretty useless. They really need to make that button function like it should, and roll out updates better.

Honestly they need to do what most phones do for updates. Let them run auto updates, but stager their checks, or installs once downloaded. Then allow the check for update button to override and force the install of the latest that is available. It would be a better experience than batching it out by VIN like they do now. Make them available for all VINs but stagger the release in case they need to pull it back.
Sponsored