mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
This week I drove from my home in Williamsburg to see my parents in Roanoke. On the way there and back I captured data from the trip using Car Scanner. This is a report of what I measured coming home. On a side note, the efficiency in mi/kWh going there was similar to what I measured coming home. I was not sure that would be the case because of the elevation change, but it was. That was interesting.
8I2GlyNiYmjiLaSo-7RMyd9flHAFLgV-Xq9rGPGyY9-eGhp1s0.jpg

The Route
I left my mom’s house in Roanoke County at 5:30 AM and drove through the city to I81. I took I81 up to I64. I did go around Richmond instead of going through, but otherwise it was all I64 until I got to Williamsburg at around 9:30 AM. The route is around 243 miles. I had one charger stop which I will describe later.
PfP0jjPSVbiPC1AzcLn3Uq-ZHkS1ct0vZzU7tRpsfrMxh-T7nf.jpg

From Roanoke to Charlottesville, the route is very, very hilly. I went over Afton Mountain, and while it is a puny mountain compared to what is out west, it is still a significant elevation change. Between Charlottesville and Richmond the terrain gets less and less hilly, and it is pretty flat from Richmond to Williamsburg.
_h7Zu9QXWU-3HerwvkxGrphlFyowMpjxTAQUvd3oZqUF5Ib6VT.jpg

So this route had a really good mixture of different types of terrain - it wasn’t all mountain or all flat.

Temperature
I started Car Scanner after I left my mom’s house. In hindsight, I wish I had started while sitting in the garage so I could have captured the temperature in the garage. I guess it was in the upper 40’s, maybe low 50’s in the garage.

The cabin temperature was set to 67 F for the entire trip, fan on Auto. I used the steering wheel and seat heaters for most of the trip. I changed the seat temperature to low and off a couple times. It feels great when you first get in, but after an hour my back starts to sweat a little. Yes, I know, I have sweating issues. You should see me after a run. That said, I found 67 degrees to be a very comfortable temperature especially if you have long sleeves on. I was in short sleeves for the first half, but that was fine as well.

For the first half of the trip the outside temperature was below freezing. The second half it was mostly in the 30s. This is definitely not subzero arctic conditions like our friends in the Great White North experience, but it more closely resembles a typical winter temperature in Virginia. (Even though this morning it was 13 F outside.)

wtQ2JK0tylaBDCAnq62L3C4tj05OGN7SZfRrmewT0rqlCcFGIC.png

Temperatures ranged from 25 F to 41 F. It was strange that the measured temperature rose so much when I stopped to charge, but I guess that makes some sense. I am not sure where the temperature sensor is, so it must be in an area that senses the heat from the battery heating system.

Speed
I drove over the speed limit for most of the trip, which is what most people do, right? ;-) Anyway, the start of the trip was suburb and city, so lower speed and some traffic lights. When in 70 speed zones I set the cruise to 78 mph. In slower speed zones I tried to not be the fastest car on the road, and my cruise is set to keep me at 8 mph over the speed limit. If the traffic is faster than 8 mph over the limit, like in a 60 or 65 zone, I bump it up. Usually people are driving in the 70s when the speed limit is 60-65 mph, so I exceeded the 8 mph standard in those cases to keep up with traffic. I never intentionally exceeded 78 mph.
GavKNnUSUIL3lSrxbVXSMnVxsSR8VZ4SabXTeY42m2mBDlBzxZ.png

You will note by the graph that my max speed looks to be 77 instead of 78. This correlates with The Google, which also showed me actually going around 77. The MME speedometer appears to be off by 1 mph at 78 mph. Just an interesting side note. May save some people from getting a ticket when it is close…

Tire Pressure
My GT drives great and I don’t seem to have the oscillating “bounce” issue that is apparent in the Premium model. However, I don’t like how harsh the suspension is, and there is a rebound “bounce” when I hit bumps on the highway. I have decreased my tire pressure to 32 psi (cold) because it takes away a lot of the harshness, and the rebound bounce from bumps is less apparent. Don’t get me wrong, it is still there, but better.

Anyway, my tire pressure setting is not good for the best range. So while it does make the drive more comfortable, I realize efficiency could be impacted by up to 10%. More on range later.

Charging
I stopped at one DCFC on the way home. I really only needed a short 15-20 minute charge, but I had to use the facilities (you know) and wanted a nice, fresh cup of hot coffee. I stopped at the Sheetz just east of Charlottesville that has 350 kWh EA chargers. There were no other cars there when I stopped, and no spaces were ICEd. That Sheetz is very busy at 7:30 AM with lots of work trucks and guys gearing up for work. It is a nice facility, and there are lots of restaurants and fast food places within a short walking distance.

0v7hHU_IpE7daEaiKKLG81EGoTr_esIZ0mqAiPuDR_7YFVdiQK.png

I could have stopped the charge after 20 minutes but I didn’t want to worry about range. I wanted to be able to heat and drive at the speed I want to drive, so I left it on until it was around 77% charged. You can see by the graph that my average charging speed was 91 kW, which is pretty good.

Tracking the HV Charge Power Limit was something I have never done before, and I think I can interpret what it means correctly. From the graph it looks like the battery is maintained for charging at around 100 kW during a drive. At the start, it is much lower, which makes sense. As the battery heats up from driving, it eventually reaches 100 kW and is maintained there.

After plugging in, the car heats up the battery even more and the charging speed starts out slow, then ramps up as the car is charged. It looks like the limit tops out at 150 kW, which confirms Ford literature regarding the max charge speed. I wish I had looked at the charging speed on the station prior to turning it off to see if it was at 150 kW, but I didn’t. Next time I will be sure to do that. I was inside enjoying my coffee until it was time to stop the charge.

I used Plug and Charge and it worked flawlessly. I arrived at the station, opened the charging port door, and inserted the charger plug. I stood there for about 20 seconds to make sure the charging started, and then walked away into the Sheetz. It is easier than getting gas. Tell that to your ICE owning friends!

Range and Efficiency
And now what you really care about, how efficient was my drive considering low tire pressure, cold exterior temperatures, large elevation changes (for part of the route) and 78/77 mph highway speed? I think really good. After reading all the other posts about how horrible the range is in winter, I really expected bad results. Not the case. I am going to repeat this route in the summer and I am really interested to see how much better it is when it is warmer outside.

SYKIT2Q86gfl1wwfUwvQRWsAtG6QQ9oZLlKGcjB1LYO02apjqq.png

According to actual data, not the GOM BS, my range is around 214 miles under the conditions specified previously. This is real, not estimated. You can see exactly how much battery capacity I started with, and now much I ended with.

What is very interesting is how the efficiency for the first part of the route was better than the second part. One would think it should be the opposite considering the first part was a lot more hilly and was colder. The only logical explanation is speed: the first part of the route has a lot of slow, highly efficient driving. I drove like my mom: weak acceleration, always using the motors to slow down. And my mom lives higher up, so it was mostly a decrease in elevation from her house to the highway through Roanoke. My efficiency for that part was well over 3 mi/kWh according to the car.

When I got home I took a picture of the car Trip display. It is pretty close to what I measured with Car Scanner. Also it does not appear any of the battery was used due to the cold temperatures (this is only from the Sheetz to Williamsburg, when it was warmer but still cold). Very interesting.
Hn-HJVJWkkkUZnhqmr2P8fcNkMk3lOSLRvHx3udt0sV8ToK1Mb.jpg

Summary
I love this car. It is so much fun to drive, and even on trips is great. My calculated range of 214 miles was excellent considering the conditions and my cruise control speed of 78 mph. You can easily drive for 2.5 hours on the highway without stopping. Not many people want to do that, and if you do, you can. Of course I didn’t do that, but I didn’t want to.

The biggest complaint people have who never owned a BEV is charging stops on trips. Well, I needed to stop anyway to go to the bathroom and wanted some coffee so it was not inconvenient at all. In fact, the process of starting and stopping a charge is easier than getting gas. Sure the refueling process takes longer, but getting gas is a multistep process with credit cards, zip codes and contains the risk of dripping gas on your hands or your shoes. Dirty and smelly. No, charging is better than getting gas, especially if you have to do something while you charge, like I did.

Let me know if you have any questions about my trip.

ElectrifyCLT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT- Dark Matter Grey
Country flag
Good numbers considering your tire pressures were 8 PSI lower than spec. I've gotten anywhere from 2.58 to 2.36 calculated efficiency when tracking my trips in similar weather, except my tires are at 40PSI. Do you remember what the car was telling you the pressures were when you were on the highway at operating temp? At 40 cold mine read 44-45 when on the highway.

Those were longer 1,000 mile roundtrip journeys with multiple DCFC stops, and maybe a bit higher speeds at certain points.

UsernameChecksOut

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Evo X, 2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good numbers considering your tire pressures were 8 PSI lower than spec. I've gotten anywhere from 2.58 to 2.36 calculated efficiency when tracking my trips in similar weather, except my tires are at 40PSI. Do you remember what the car was telling you the pressures were when you were on the highway at operating temp? At 40 cold mine read 44-45 when on the highway.

Those were longer 1,000 mile roundtrip journeys with multiple DCFC stops, and maybe a bit higher speeds at certain points.
After traveling at a decent speed the tire pressure was up to around 36-37 psi.

On a side note, yesterday I decided to pump my rear tires back up to 40 psi because it seems the harshness is most noticeable in the front, and by increasing the pressure in the rear I can cut the efficiency hit in half. On my 140 mile commute this morning it felt good, and I didn't notice the increase in harshness in the rear.

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for sharing the detailed report!

Your experience with the battery heating and ramp-up of charging rate at the charging station was especially enlightening. It'll be great to see how this changes with [possibly] the improvements introduced for pre-conditioning ahead of arrival at a charging location.

Mach-E charging info from Ford engineer, including Preconditioning / Pre-warming update possibly coming
Good question. I expect the improvement won't be significant, if the battery system is currently prepared for 100 kW when you stop. It rapidly ramps and the cost of preparing the battery for a higher speed has to result in a hit to range. And how much will it improve a 30 minute charge? Five minutes, maybe?

My car was prepared for a 100 kW charge but the average was less than that. That means it started much slower than 100 kW and probably ramped up to 150 kW near the end. I wish I had looked at that, but the point is the charge must have been limited by something other than just the battery prep.

Personally I am much more interested in the charge speed increase over 80%, which has finally been released for Job 2 vehicles. I am taking my car to the dealer in a week and I am expecting them to apply the update that improves the charge curve. Pretty excited about that!

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
@mkhuffman I don't understand how you were able to drive in sub 40 degree temps without any energy being used by external temp management. What are your thoughts on that? Thanks for the detailed write up!

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@mkhuffman I don't understand how you were able to drive in sub 40 degree temps without any energy being used by external temp management. What are your thoughts on that? Thanks for the detailed write up!
Maybe heating the HVB during the DCFC means it is hot enough for 35 F to be irrelevant. I noticed that battery conditioning for charging remained above 120 kW for the remainder of the trip. Or maybe the Trip log is wrong.

That's all I got.

Trick.Mach-E

First Name
Trick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old Raptor, Mach-E4x, New Raptor, F-250, Taycan.
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag
After traveling at a decent speed the tire pressure was up to around 36-37 psi.

On a side note, yesterday I decided to pump my rear tires back up to 40 psi because it seems the harshness is most noticeable in the front, and by increasing the pressure in the rear I can cut the efficiency hit in half. On my 140 mile commute this morning it felt good, and I didn't notice the increase in harshness in the rear.
Did your TPMS dash light warning appear? On that note anyone know what PSI triggers the warning light?

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Nice writeup! Thanks for sharing.

A few comments:

1. Since you logged the data received in CarScanner, you already have the counter "Hybrid/EV Charger Power", it matches the value shown on the EA chargers.

2. The power limit can go slightly above 150kW, I have seen it go up to the 160s although the highest charging rates I have seen on my car is 125kW, but some folks have reported brief bursts of actual charging power over 150kW in warmer climate.

3. Every week we see multiple new threads on this forum because new owners freak out on the range estimates. Some argue that those are just guesses and one would have to drive till the bitter end to know how many miles are actually possible; while I agree with that assessment, these posts often imply the estimates are always on the conservative side when in reality they can swing either way. The odometer on my car is just shy of 6,000 miles and I have to say the range estimates are actually fairly accurate for me now, but they are overly optimistic right after each visit to Electrify America. The SOC is the ratio of how many kWh the car thinks the battery pack can release over how many kWh the car thinks the battery pack holds when fully charged; comparing SOC values across a wide ambient temperature ranges is meaningless because the baseline - 100% charged - is very different in each case. Using Energy to Empty divided by SOC I found the estimated full capacity of my battery pack ranged from 70kWh to 91kWh. At the beginning of a DCFC session HVB is warmed up, the range estimate at the end of the session assumes the elevated HVB temperature will hold up well even though in reality it will always move downward toward ambient temperature. As a result range estimate right after a DCFC session in cold weather is overly optimistic. Here is the charger power limit shown over the course of 10 hours:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Analyzing a 243 Mile Winter Trip in my Base Mach-E GT Charging Power

It started out at 11AM, when the car was plugged into a ChargePoint Level 2 public charger. Ambient temperature was approx. 20F, HVB temperature was approx. 34F. While the car was charged, its HVB temperature drifted gradually toward ambient temperature and reached 27F at 2:20PM. I had set a departure time for 3PM, so at 2:20PM the charging status switched to Preparing for Drive and most of the energy received from the EVSE was sent to the heater in order to warm up the battery. It started warming the cabin at 2:45PM. When I left the parking lot at 3PM HVB had warmed up to 54F. You can see the fall of charger power limit in the graph above as HVB cooled in the parking lot, it then rose up as HVB temperature rose prior to departure at 3PM. After running some errands we set off for the 150-mile drive to an Electrify America location; upon arrival HVB had cooled to 43F. Just before I plugged in, the power limit had dropped to 77 kW. In approximately 20 minutes, HVB warmed up to 95F and power limit went up to 161 kW. My peak charging rate was 112 kW, but actually arrived before the power limit peaked. 40 kWh was delivered in 28 minutes, averaging 86 kW.

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did your TPMS dash light warning appear? On that note anyone know what PSI triggers the warning light?
No, the warning light has not come on at 32 psi yet. I have had the pressure there for a couple weeks now. I don't know how low it needs to go to trigger it.

revmatchtv

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Nice writeup! Thanks for sharing.

1. Since you logged the data received in CarScanner, you already have the counter "Hybrid/EV Charger Power", it matches the value shown on the EA chargers.
Great write up! Unrelated, but how do you generate those charge and speed graphs? Are you using CarScanner with a bluetooth dongle of some sort?

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Trick.Mach-E

First Name
Trick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old Raptor, Mach-E4x, New Raptor, F-250, Taycan.
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag
No, the warning light has not come on at 32 psi yet. I have had the pressure there for a couple weeks now. I don't know how low it needs to go to trigger it.
I lowered the tire pressure to 32 psi over the past weekend and I have noticed a smoother ride... especially over the small expansion joints. Those are much smooth as there is more tire flex. No noticeable drop in range as we have only done 40 miles or so and we are still sitting at 3.1 kWh.

Good tip... thanks!

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I lowered the tire pressure to 32 psi over the past weekend and I have noticed a smoother ride... especially over the small expansion joints. Those are much smooth as there is more tire flex. No noticeable drop in range as we have only done 40 miles or so and we are still sitting at 3.1 kWh.

Good tip... thanks!
Since this trip I pumped the rear back up to 40 but kept the front at 32. The rear harshness is less noticeable than the front in general, and I figured it would impact the range less with only two tires at 32 psi. I might put the rear back to 32, but so far I am satisfied with the ride.
Sponsored