First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Hi All,

Shopping EV's and comparing edutainment systems. Recently learned that Ford may adopt full Android Automitive for future vehicles. Just wondering how the Mach-E progression would happen so far as Android. Many EV's support Android Auto and others employ Android Automotive. Would there be an update path? My timeline is for a 2021, but would be interested in any insight on when a transition to Android Automotive would be happening. Also intrested in any owner experience with the current system.
Sponsored

SeattleMachE

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Unfortunately, right now it is anyone’s guess as to how/whether Ford provides meaningful support to vehicles like the MME in light of this planned transition. I don’t know whether the current hardware in the MME could support Android Automotive or not, but IMO it will be a huge miss by Ford if not, and a deciding factor in whether I stick with them in the future.

OP
OP

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ya, this was one of the few dislikes about the MME in our comparisons. I do believe the existing system is quite capable and quite good, and dislike was just our term for comparison. Certainly not a deal breaker, but noted.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
They talked about millions of cars right away. Gotta think that the only way to get there is to retro fit existing cars.

iankellogg

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES 300h, Red Mach E XR AWD
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
My desire to keep this car for more than a few years completely comes down to how ford handles future support. If its like ford of the past I don't think I'll stick around.

OP
OP

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm guessing it will be going forward. Updating apps is one thing, but retrofitting full Android Automotive to older vehicles that have existing operating systems would be quite a chore. Kinda like trying to change your old windows laptop to run the latest iOS. I'm sure there will be emulators and such, but we talking about low level systems and code. I'd say unlikely.

According to Forbes, Ford adoption date has been targeted for 2023.
https://www.forbes.com/wheels/features/what-is-android-automotive/

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Very, very unlikely.

OP
OP

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hoping it will be available for my next EV. Will likely start shopping just before the 3rd anniversary of my MME purchase (9/21, so summer 2024). My Ford option is for 48 months, but I have to keep the car for 3 years due to MA (MOR-EV) state rebate program. Not a deal breaker, but sure nice to have as AAOS does not require a phone as AA does.
Sponsored