Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
I got it last week and it was a pleasant surprise. I only wish I could have a choice over what is in each window. Maybe that will come with time.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
1 no Android Auto is for Android as Apple Car Play is for iPhone
2 AA and CP do not have a frunk button

3 on a separate thought look at AA Ford has stated the next version of Sync will be based and Android
Sync will be based on Android Automotive, not Android Auto. They are two completly different products. Andrdoid Automotive is an operating system, Android Auto is an app.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Sync will be based on Android Automotive, not Android Auto. They are two completly different products. Andrdoid Automotive is an operating system, Android Auto is an app.
Yes, this is true. I should have been more specific. Thanks for the correction

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Maybe I don’t understand something…this looks just like CarPlay, but in the Android world. Are they basically the same thing, or am I missing the point completely? Android didn’t have a CarPlay-like thing before?

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Maybe I don’t understand something…this looks just like CarPlay, but in the Android world. Are they basically the same thing, or am I missing the point completely? Android didn’t have a CarPlay-like thing before?
Android Auto didn't have multiple apps showing at once.

OP
OP
Eraser

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
Last edited:

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
From what I can tell, it looks like AA does a better job with auto-sizing the windows compared to Carplay. If you compare OP's first and third images to the Carplay equivalents, you notice that Carplay really doesn't choose very good window sizes for the three active windows. Nav gets a smaller portion of the screen in Carplay (when you really want it bigger) and the other two windows are just unnecessarily big.

ThatGuyLando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CR1
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
You can download the Android Auto beta .apk file from the Apk Mirror website. That's how I upgraded mine to take a peak at the new beta update.
You can but this is a server side flag. You can manually force it to show this UI if you have a rooted phone but here in the US that's a long shot considering most android devices have bootloaders you can't unlock.

johnmark

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
From my understanding Google has to enable the new interface for those in the beta program, the APK file alone shouldn't work. Regarding if anyone wants to try it that isn't in the program here is the link.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/android-auto/android-auto-8-5-1245-release/
I installed the beta apk (thanks everyone for the tips) and the first thing I noticed was I can finally do fullscreen Google maps, the lack of which was an annoyance before. Haven't tried multiple apps and tiling yet - we'll see. My phone is an unlocked 1plus so I'm hoping that means fewer hoops to jump through. We shall see!

JamieLV

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti G37
Country flag
From my understanding Google has to enable the new interface for those in the beta program, the APK file alone shouldn't work. Regarding if anyone wants to try it that isn't in the program here is the link.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/android-auto/android-auto-8-5-1245-release/
I can't test it because I don't have the car yet, but this link provides instructions on "how to force enable Coolwalk without root " . I'd be curious to know - so if anyone gives it a shot, please let me know (you know, in case my car magically appears this week) whether it works.

https://www.androidsage.com/2022/11/12/how-to-enable-coolwalk-on-android-auto-without-root/

OP
OP
Eraser

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
I installed the beta apk (thanks everyone for the tips) and the first thing I noticed was I can finally do fullscreen Google maps, the lack of which was an annoyance before. Haven't tried multiple apps and tiling yet - we'll see. My phone is an unlocked 1plus so I'm hoping that means fewer hoops to jump through. We shall see!
Well you got the easy part done ;).

Your phone is most likely carrier unlocked, however the bootloader completely separate from that. It's been a while but from what I recall, unlocking the bootloader comes with other consequences like Google pay no longer working. Additionally you'll have to completely wipe your device to lock or unlock the bootloader.

Personally I wouldn't recommend doing it due to the repercussions. If you try it read the directions carefully several times before doing so. Good luck.
Sponsored

Reactions: RLW