kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Are you honestly claiming that our cars are in danger of turning into bricks in 2023? That's not going to happen. And how would that happen? Would the evil head wizard of Menlo Park California send out a spell to disable all pre-2023 Mach-e's?

There is no assumption about our cars not being bricked. None. Worst case scenario is software stops be developed for sync 4a at some future date and what you see on that date is all you'll get.
What i'd like is for them to tell us what there plans are since they now announced a new os for all there Ford cars. Everything including what I say is all speculative. What I want is to not speculate and get a real concrete answer as to how long they will support the car, as in how long will they update the OS to work with the rest of of the IOT infrastructure. Period
Sponsored

quitepossibly

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Plus, that "upgrade" was $2,500. I think the only reason they lowered the price is that they knew the recall would be coming so if they could lure some people into paying $1,500 now it would be better than having to do it for free later.
That isn't entirely accurate. I believe last year, before the NHTSA forced them to recall the cars, Tesla offered a choice of a $500 repair of the MCU1 system or a $2,500 upgrade to the MCU2 system. Later on, they dropped the upgrade to MCU2 to $1,500.

The upgrade to MCU2 is a pretty substantial one. it involves replacing the instrument cluster and the center touchscreen. It basically brought up older models to then current system.

I hope Ford offers something similar for the Mach-E (or any of their other cars), but I'm not holding my breathe.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe a different angle on this. Is there ANY car that will satisfy your needs?
Yes this one as long as I know that I can drive it without having to worry about the apps on the car stopping to work because off incompatibility issues and lack of support.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
An obsolete infotainment system is minor. The CAR will be obsolete. And so will the ones built in 2023 and 2025 within a year or two after purchase. But that's what you should expect when you buy anything new today. Every company is looking to make things better so they can stay ahead of the competition.
the difference here is that Ford is promising the infotainment system - and indeed, some basic parts of the car - won't be obsolete in a reasonable time (my word, not theirs - I don't think they've really put a timeframe on it) but will get better over time.

that's why people are caring about this. it's not because we all think cars don't get obsolete. it's that we're being told this is different than the norm.

Chiefsfan

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GS350
Country flag
The key is whether the current hardware is compatible with android. You would have to believe that the switch to android was a long time coming and that it would have been ideal for the MME to be the first android based vehicle OS.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The key is whether the current hardware is compatible with android. You would have to believe that the switch to android was a long time coming and that it would have been ideal for the MME to be the first android based vehicle OS.
I really wouldn't have given it too much thought but you guys are doing a good job of bringing it to my attention.

If the operating system in 2023-24 will be Android-based and completely incompatible with the current hardware with no intention of migrating 21-22 vehicles to the new OS, then that really puts some negative pressure on demand.

People will not be enthusiastic to buy an orphaned vehicle.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I really wouldn't have given it too much thought but you guys are doing a good job of bringing it to my attention.

If the operating system in 2023-24 will be Android-based and completely incompatible with the current hardware with no intention of migrating 21-22 vehicles to the new OS, then that really puts some negative pressure on demand.

People will not be enthusiastic to buy an orphaned vehicle.
I'm happy you guys are understanding the concern. Maybe this was coming and the delays changed the timeline of the rollout. I mean think about, if this car came out last year like it was supposed to then the android based MME's would probably be the 2024 models which would be 4 years and at that point I don't think anybody including myself would complain. Now that we are in 2021 and the majority of order holders didn't even take ownership yet, it shines a negative light on the current model. I discussed this with a friend of mine and he doesn't understand why they would even announce this now.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Unless Ford does something radically different than the rest of the industry (they don't), you won't see the Android OS come in until a model is refreshed or a new model is released. This means you will see Sync 4A on new vehicles for at least 3-4 more years.
Ford has done infotainment upgrades without refreshes. The updates to SYNC 3 in 2016 were done independently of vehicle updates.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
All of these comments about the infotainment screens are interesting and amusing.

Obsolete and bricks? I doubt it. At least not because of a switch to android.

At best, I have 20 years of driving left. I'd be 91 in 20 years if I'm still around then. I've seen enough 90+ year olds driving and they don't do very well. Maybe there's an exception but not many. I'll need to have a different means of getting around than driving.

I also have a 2013 Fusion Energi. The car works fine even without a vehicle health report. The radio works. The navigation works. It drives just fine. And the built in safety, like adaptive cruise control, lane assist, auto high beams, etc., still work great. It's not a brick. Particularly to the guy who saw it last summer and asked me to sell it to him when I'm ready to sell it. He called me last week to make sure I'll still sell it to him when my MME arrives. He's paying cash and exactly what I asked.

If it drives and works on the 2021 MME for the next 10 years like my 2013 FE, I don't care about the new sw on the 2023. I just want the best car I can get for me in 2021. I expect it to gradually be obsolete.

The question for me is not about software but about the battery!!! The battery in the MME will probably be obsolete in the next 1 to 5 years. Much better batteries are coming out that promise longer range and faster charging. Do I want to wait a couple of more years to get a much better battery? I decided "no". I'm fine with what Ford is offering now.

An obsolete infotainment system is minor. The CAR will be obsolete. And so will the ones built in 2023 and 2025 within a year or two after purchase. But that's what you should expect when you buy anything new today. Every company is looking to make things better so they can stay ahead of the competition.

I don't plan on using the options program to get my MME. I may or may not buy another car ever. I'm old enough to know that my driving skills are declining rapidly and I want a car that will move me with the best possible safety, for myself and others, that's possible at this time. I also want a car that allows me to power it with the solar on my roof (since 2009) or when doing long distances, electricity from whatever electric power source I can find. I want my satellite radio and navigation to work. I'll buy the 2021 MME. It checks all the boxes. If it didn't check all the boxes, I'd look for something that does or keep my 2013 FE.
That's a valid point of view, but not one a few of us share, anyway. It's definitely how the history of car buying has been, prior to Tesla and their comprehensive and regular OTAs.

Hardware is one thing, of course. I don't expect an updated seat trim when a new fabric color comes out.

Software though, that's another.

Ford is selling us a premium priced vehicle, and one of the advertised selling points is the over-the-air update functionality. That sets expectations that the software in the car will not be static and will continue to get updates throughout the life of the vehicle.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What i'd like is for them to tell us what there plans are since they now announced a new os for all there Ford cars. Everything including what I say is all speculative. What I want is to not speculate and get a real concrete answer as to how long they will support the car, as in how long will they update the OS to work with the rest of of the IOT infrastructure. Period
I don't have any concerns about them permanently maintaining the Sync4a systems in our MMEs. But I do have concerns about them continuing development to provide new features and upgrades and improvements (like were touted as a huge advantage of OTA) after they've moved on to focus on the new platform.

Chiefsfan

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GS350
Country flag
I don't have any concerns about them permanently maintaining the Sync4a systems in our MMEs. But I do have concerns about them continuing development to provide new features and upgrades and improvements (like were touted as a huge advantage of OTA) after they've moved on to focus on the new platform.
There is no way they will continue to invest in development of the platform. I would assume that performance and other software related powertrain updates will continue. Improvements to the interface will not. That’s a significant negative. Obviously, Tesla buyers don’t face this issue (they face other issues).

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I hope Ford will comment on whether there is a path to an Android update for our 21MY vehicles. If the answer is just "yes" come out and say it and I can exhale :p
Maybe I'm confused.

So will Sync 4 continue on with Android as an app in 2023-24 or is Sync 4 being completely replaced by Android Automotive?

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe I'm confused.

So will Sync 4 continue on with Android as an app in 2023-24 or is Sync 4 being completely replaced by Android Automotive?
From what has been reported, completely replaced.

Last edited:

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
There are far too many questions raised by this announcement. Surely Ford knew that such an announcement would raise these very questions. And while we’re all “iffing,” many of us are reevaluating purchase and leases and a few are reconsidering altogether.

A quick follow up is needed by Ford.
AGREE! I tweeted Ford on that topic. I am not happy being so close to getting the car worried about legacy software. I feel like we were sold a bill of goods, though no sale here yet. They need to reply.
Sponsored