kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
AGREE! I tweeted Ford on that topic. I am not happy being so close to getting the car worried about legacy software. I feel like we were sold a bill of goods, though no sale here yet. They need to reply.
I tweeted Ford and Transport Evolved, EV news youtube channel. Hoping to get a response.
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I hope Ford will comment on whether there is a path to an Android update for our 21MY vehicles. If the answer is just "yes" come out and say it and I can exhale :p
There is no way they will continue to invest in development of the platform. I would assume that performance and other software related powertrain updates will continue. Improvements to the interface will not. That’s a significant negative. Obviously, Tesla buyers don’t face this issue (they face other issues).
I really hope Ford didn't just Osborne themselves.

If the '21-22 Mach-Es cannot or will not be migrated to Android for '23, then it completely negates a major selling point of buying the MME today.

There's no way Ford continues to fund a dev team for Sync 4 if the devs are all transitioned to the new Android-Ford team. Nor will there be a market for third-party apps because Sync 4 will be orphaned on a relatively small fleet of cars that will naturally shrink over time.

Hopefully this is just much ado about nothing and Ford of course will migrate the hardware to Android in two years for all Sync 4 vehicles.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
The key is whether the current hardware is compatible with android. You would have to believe that the switch to android was a long time coming and that it would have been ideal for the MME to be the first android based vehicle OS.
there's absolutely no way in hell the hardware in Sync 4(a) isn't an ARM variant of some kind. Sync has been built on ARM cores since Sync 1. Android will run on it with the right HAL. That's not going to be the blocker if there is one.

It's going to completely be about Ford's willingness and effort. Not about hardware.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
there's absolutely no way in hell the hardware in Sync 4(a) isn't an ARM variant of some kind. Sync has been built on ARM cores since Sync 1. Android will run on it with the right HAL. That's not going to be the blocker if there is one.

It's going to completely be about Ford's willingness and effort. Not about hardware.
Most of the automotive runs on Nvidia Tegra chips

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Most of the automotive runs on Nvidia Tegra chips
yes, and?

Tegra chips have ARM cores for the primary CPU portion.

again there's no way in hell Sync 4(a) isn't built on an ARM variant of some kind. I will eat this hat if whatever the processor is (and I don't know what it is) that Sync 4(a) uses doesn't have ARM-based cores.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Android Will Power Ford Vehicle Navigation Starting in 2023 1612314493299

(this offer not valid on planet Earth)

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
yes, and?

Tegra chips have ARM cores for the primary CPU portion.

again there's no way in hell Sync 4(a) isn't built on an ARM variant of some kind. I will eat this hat if whatever the processor is (and I don't know what it is) that Sync 4(a) uses doesn't have ARM-based cores.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Android Will Power Ford Vehicle Navigation Starting in 2023 1612314493299

(this offer not valid on planet Earth)
I was just confirming your statement. Geez

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I think I have the reputation around here to leaning on the side of Apple on things. But I welcome this news as it’s one of the better deals to make in regards of the situation. Rather than quoting folks, I’ll just highlight my points.

History time!
When the concept of Sync was first known, the partnership was with Microsoft and Ford. Windows Embedded Automotive existed before the deal, but for after-market add-ons to cars. My thoughts were the good news was an external technology partner was brought in to modernize what I felts cars had to be: A technology device. The bad news to me was Microsoft not consistent on embedded or dedicated hardware, with unique exception of Xbox.

In 2015, Ford went to Blackberry’s QNX, replacing MS Automative. At the time, it was the closest to an off-the-shelf OS to for an embedded car system. And it worked for then. It wasn't quite rolling your own system, but the demands weren't there.

The thread you can see along the years is Ford not building a system completely in-house. Though it depends on what components you want to pay for putting in the car, a leaner embedded system can reduce your hardware costs. The trade off is narrowed software capabilities.

We are long past the days where a low-powered embedded system will cut it. Not only with customer expectations, but with the functions of a BEV vehicle needing more compute. Traditional embedded systems are more a liability than a cost saving feature.

Google is currently the best available partner for Ford.
Now everything that needs a touchscreen is a mobile or a desktop OS. Which is not a bad thing! It’s the advancements of technology — which means components are cheaper — that makes for good progress.

Self-Made Approach
Ford could choose an existing Unix/Linux distro and roll their own systems in-house. This is what Tesla is currently doing, but not the only valid approach.

You can control your destiny this way, but you're also responsible for every little thing. Having lived every year of my life under Ford, I honestly don’t see Ford putting in the work and resources to make that happen, let alone successfully. Ultimately, the limited resources just isn't supportive of customers in a 3-10 year span of the car product itself.

Apple
I would like to see Apple as a partner, but the reality is that neither party is ready to work with each other — assuming either would be willing. Apple is not ready to go to market with an offering, whatever Titan ends up being.

Apple wants to control as many as the parts as that is part of their design process. They may not always hit the mark, but Apple's design focus is about the experience of the product.

It's not tight control for the power trip. The process is reducing compromises for a quality product. Apple also benefits not needing to enter the market as soon as possible for financial needs. They will release product when they feel ready. This does not match Ford's timeline, so it's not going to happen. I don't fault Apple or Ford for this; it just doesn't make sense now.

Google & Android Automotive (AA)
Google’s made some serious efforts into the space in the past few years. While I need some time with the docs, we are talking about the presentation and interaction layer of a system. Google isn't running the car bumper-to-bumper; it's receiving data, interpreting data, and letting the user interact with certain functions.

Ford still runs the car, but doesn't have to worry about implementing the newest version of Spotify or a Taco Bell in-car ordering app. Even years after initial release.

The dangers are Google dropping the product. What makes me less worried about this particular instance is it's a subset of the Android OS with a number of companies buying into long term support contracts. Unlike Stadia which barely got industry (game publisher) buy-in, AA is doing pretty well. Never say never, but it's a safer bet than other Google initiatives.

Will the Mach-E 2021.0 eventually run Android Auto?

The $43k - $61k question. The possibility is there, especially as Android Auto (AA) is marketed in part as a replacement for QNX. I don’t have definitive answers, but I’d like to explore the factors involved.

Will the hardware itself will accept Android Auto? Mainly, it comes down to how close the Mach-E’s components. Currently the development platform for AA is a Pixel 3 or 4 XL, so I’m hopeful the hardware to run a big screen tablet for QNX satisfies AA's needs. But there's a lot I don't know about the Mach-E's systems to make a qualified guess. There is a path for systems running QNX to work, but I have no data to speculate on.

Assuming the hardware can support a transition, Ford will need the desire to support the now Sync 4a systems. This is ultimately a business decision than anything else. So I'm hopeful? ??‍♂

But what do you think, Seg?

If/when AA is offered on the my Mach-E, I will absolutely transition to it. I would even float paying for a hardware upgrade if that was the upgrade path. But I hope it’s not that involved of a process.

Sure, I wish Apple was ready with a product. I would much prefer Apple’s approach to prioritize computing and security on-device before going to the cloud. I can hope for AA to work with my iOS devices, but I know it won’t have the full integration. The value I’d still have with an AA system is ongoing maintenance and feature expansion; beyond what Ford's QNX would plan to offer.

What happened today is an end of support announcement of QNX on Ford products. Which is fine, if the roadmap includes an upgrade path for existing models that are hardware capable.

Today was an opportunity for Ford to illustrate long term support of automative technology.
Today, the communication department failed to tell this story.
Great post.

GrumblesTheDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GB FE
Country flag
A vague answer from this gentleman who identifies himself as being with Ford communications, when asked about what this means for future of Sync4a/QNX:

Pointless to try and dissect this tweet? Absolutely. Gotta pass the time somehow though

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Yes this one as long as I know that I can drive it without having to worry about the apps on the car stopping to work because off incompatibility issues and lack of support.
Ah... so like adaptive cruise control not working anymore is not a concern, correct? You are worried CarPlay or Android Auto will stop working?

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ah... so like adaptive cruise control not working anymore is not a concern, correct? You are worried CarPlay or Android Auto will stop working?
Adaptive cruise control is an integral part of the car and is controlled by a separate system. It doesnt depend on the sync system. I dont care about android auto or apple car play either. What does concern me are the updates which will affect climate controls, navigation, PaaK which the former actually effect range and efficiency. This is what concerns me.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Adaptive cruise control is an integral part of the car and is controlled by a separate system. It doesnt depend on the sync system. I dont care about android auto or apple car play either. What does concern me are the updates which will affect climate controls, navigation, PaaK which the former actually effect range and efficiency. This is what concerns me.
Ah, then no worries. Climate is integral, navigation is integral, and if Google can't help make PaaK better for Android phones, no one can. CarPlay is solid already, that won't change.

I would imagine the navigation could be switched to app assisted by Google, or completely switched over, in the future. I think it's integral Garmin for Mach-E, and I doubt Garmin will stop supporting no matter what the OS is.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag