Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I just got back from a round trip from Texas. While there I saw temperatures displayed as high as 113F on the MME display - that's probably higher than actual, but it was hot. The car spent a lot of time parked in the sun. At home, it's always garaged.

Out of the blue, I come out to the car and discover two distinct cracks in the roof. Dealer has taken pictures and is contacting Ford.

There are no signs of impact anywhere.

My guess is that there are internal stresses in the glass due to either the manufacturing of the glass, or assembly procedure. Heat adds to the stress until it cracks.

IMG_2713.jpg

IMG_2714.jpg

OP
OP
Maquis

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
will this cracked roof covered under insurance?
At this point, I consider it a defect with the car, not damage. So insurance should not come into play. I know that others have been warranted, mine should as well.

idkhow

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bateman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach-e premium, van down by the river
Occupation
it plumber, auto detailer
Country flag
At this point, I consider it a defect with the car, not damage.
This. Warranty claim, not any damage. What worries me is during 40-50mph on a moderately hot day this weekend I heard slamming from the glass roof like something was on top of the car bashing on it until I slowed down onto a side street.

Far too worried now at under 500 miles I'll soon have to be printing out this thread and sitting with a rental for a week or two.

OP
OP
Maquis

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This. Warranty claim, not any damage. What worries me is during 40-50mph on a moderately hot day this weekend I heard slamming from the glass roof like something was on top of the car bashing on it until I slowed down onto a side street.

Far too worried now at under 500 miles I'll soon have to be printing out this thread and sitting with a rental for a week or two.
Not just this one - a search of the forum will yield more examples.

idkhow

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bateman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
a search of the forum will yield more examples.
Getting a few printouts ready at this point after what I heard this weekend.

Sounded like someone was on top of the roof with a rubber mallot in a steady pattern at 45-50mph. Stopped when I slowed down.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Getting a few printouts ready at this point after what I heard this weekend.

Sounded like someone was on top of the roof with a rubber mallot in a steady pattern at 45-50mph. Stopped when I slowed down.
Wind buffeting?

I think fairly soon the glass roof fad will go away. A $50 to $80.00 line item and declaration on your auto policy will catch people's attention. You know it's coming...

The first guy to replace a second glass roof will be making some impressive phone calls.

It should be a delete item.

idkhow

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bateman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Wind buffeting?
Yes, literally said that in the other thread. Was getting wind bufffeting which I realized was such as

A) watched top gear UK and know the term - thanks james may
B) after the 3rd time of it repeating itself I was sure there wasn't a monkey on the roof with a mallot

Quickly scooted over onto a side street as I had the girlfriend with me, and the sound was LOUD.

Going to check to make sure I don't have any cracks, honestly a bit scary - but seeing it just cracks and isn't going to go full black sheep with the thing flying off... feels a bit better?

Bother.

Fusionblu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach~E, Kia Telluride, BMW 335i
Occupation
IT fiddler
Country flag
I shared some information about a 'creaking' sound coming from the roof panel when the temperature changes. Must be a body warping issue.

cjljr41

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e Premium 4X, '23 Escape Platinum Hybrid
Country flag
Mine was covered under warranty. I submitted pictures from this forum of others with cracked roofs. I believe that gave me some ammo after initially being told by the service department that a rock had hit it.

OP
OP
Maquis

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Mine was covered under warranty. I submitted pictures from this forum of others with cracked roofs. I believe that gave me some ammo after initially being told by the service department that a rock had hit it.
Service manager commented right away that he saw no signs of impact, so I'm starting in a better position already. I'm hoping for the best. Plus, I have two different cracks that are about a foot apart. It would be almost impossible for a single impact to cause two different cracks.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Sounds like a design flaw. Change to a moon roof design in the future?

OP
OP
Maquis

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update: Still no availability date on my replacement roof. The parts manager informed me that Ford has replaced the original part number of the roof with a new one. He also stated that there are 20 of these on backorder at Ford - I'm pretty sure that no dealer would be ordering these for stock, so there are apparently several cars with roof problems out there.

cjljr41

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e Premium 4X, '23 Escape Platinum Hybrid
Country flag
Update: Still no availability date on my replacement roof. The parts manager informed me that Ford has replaced the original part number of the roof with a new one. He also stated that there are 20 of these on backorder at Ford - I'm pretty sure that no dealer would be ordering these for stock, so there are apparently several cars with roof problems out there.
I started the process in April; was told July 1st they would receive it and I have not heard from them yet. Been busy lately, so I will be contacting them soon to see what's up.