Another GTPE Bites the Dust After 22S41!

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
stuck open, managed to get it restarted after a few attempts, then stuck for 5 days until time to drive to dealer for new part.
Stuck open for 5 days was the 12V dead? You charged it and drove it in? I have been successful with a 12V charger for a stuck open condition. Happens when it is cold thru. That is why I was interested. So you are saying it stuck open while driving? Bit of a bummer to know.

Thinking our saving grace here is that it is not too hot but just kind of guessing at this stage. When mine starts (goes in gear) it has never let me down to date. I only know it is stuck open as it then proceeds to kill the 12V battery. After a couple of month of watching it struggle I just tethered it 24/7 to a 15 amp 12V charger in the cold. After that no problems. In the summer (second one now) it has been no problems to date. Two different problems maybe?
Sponsored

Miteleets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 mustang conv. Mach E PE
Country flag
If you want to believe the recall that's fine. Personally, I think it's full of errors, including dates (discovery vs first issue), no mention of the new beefier part, and also the fact that they said the software is a "remedy". Clearly, as you know more than most, it's not. The issue is failing HVBJBs and a remedy is defined as "something that corrects a problem". The actual remedy that they introduced on May 25, was the revised part into the production line. I don't think we should believe only the sections of the recall we want to believe. It's all or none. Since there's already many inconsistencies and lies in it, I say none. It's a CYA document to save them money.
Does anybody know the new part#?

avboughtmache

First Name
Amar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC300, 2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Software Guy
Country flag
@DevSecOps @scoopman I have the recall service appointment tomorrow. I just confirmed with the dealership whether they have the update to work on, after checking they said they have it.

Should I go ahead and get an update installed? Mine is a GT.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Send me your VIN in a DM so I can see what caused it.

If you couldn't get access to the vehicle, per your post, then I'm gonna assume a 12v issue unrelated to the HVBJB. The 12v system in HVBJB failure remains active.

at least until the 12v battery is drained.... then the whole car freaks out because the computer doesn't have enough power to wake up and open doors, etc.

so.... I'd say that a HVBJB contactor 'failed open' condition MIGHT show up as a 12v system failure if the HV was unable to maintain the 12v battery, but a HVBJB 'welded closed' would not affect 12v system.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
at least until the 12v battery is drained.... then the whole car freaks out because the computer doesn't have enough power to wake up and open doors, etc.

so.... I'd say that a HVBJB contactor 'failed open' condition MIGHT show up as a 12v system failure if the HV was unable to maintain the 12v battery, but a HVBJB 'welded closed' would not affect 12v system.
Yes but he said the vehicle was in motion on the turnpike. If that's the case then the contactor couldn't be open otherwise there would be no propulsion. Almost all instances of SSN that I've seen while in motion are from 12v shorts or lose wires. Of course it could be any number of things, but that's what I've seen most of which is why I asked for the VIN so I could confirm. Unfortunately, he didn't provide it.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Yes but he said the vehicle was in motion on the turnpike. If that's the case then the contactor couldn't be open otherwise there would be no propulsion. Almost all instances of SSN that I've seen while in motion are from 12v shorts or lose wires. Of course it could be any number of things, but that's what I've seen most of which is why I asked for the VIN so I could confirm. Unfortunately, he didn't provide it.
aha....
yes, I totally agree.... contactor open failure would kill propulsion instantly, but 12v would still provide 12v systems power for 'a little while'; presumably enough to have headlights, steer, and brake.

what might get really weird is if the 12v coil inside the contactor starts failing, maybe from melting insulation/shorting, which might cause contactor faces to 'flutter' as the relay coil fails while under load, which would arc, pit, and possibly weld into a failed CLOSED condition.... or coil might fail completely and fail OPEN.

we'll probably never know all the failure modes, or the combinations that cause the actual failures.

I'm just glad to know that there are 'revised' HVBJB available with beefier contactors finally if and when failures occur. I haven't had any problem, so I'll just keep on hoping that if this issue is proven to affect 'all', then it may become a hardware recall rather than just a software bandaid.

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Got the 22S41 update on Thursday. Only drove a few miles locally Friday with no issues. Did a 170 mile roundtrip today and 1/4 mile from home, the wrench popped up and the power was severely limited. I did a quick accel up the hill by my house when it happened, but not WOT. Seems this update will basically cause every car to reach the SVS. I guess I'll be off to the dealer now.
Sorry to hear about your GTPE, hopefully you can get the part replaced quickly.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
@DevSecOps @scoopman I have the recall service appointment tomorrow. I just confirmed with the dealership whether they have the update to work on, after checking they said they have it.

Should I go ahead and get an update installed? Mine is a GT.
From what I'm reading here on the forum, FDRS still has issues in what versions of software it is serving to update cars. I can safely say that almost any dealer you ask knows absolutely nothing about whether the version of software that satisfies 22S41 recall is available for them on FDRS right now.

This is because the instructions for the recall to dealers do nothing to explicitly state what minimum version of the software you need on particular modules in your car.

It is clear from this forum today that the FDRS servers are messed up and in flux, and so I would be wary on whether a dealer would actually put the right versions of the software on your car, assuming you actually did want the recall done.

I'm not going to get into the issue of whether you understand what the recall does and doesn't do, but TLDR I would probably push your appointment out a week and follow the mantra of "don't listen to the dealer, they generally don't know what they are doing with this car."

OP
OP
cdale12

cdale12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
68 289 Convertible, 21 GB GTPE MME
Country flag
Dealer got the new HVBJB in today and put it in. They just have to put the battery pack back in and it will be done. Should be done by Monday.

old parts had REV A on them. New parts have REV D on them.

96B99978-59D2-4CC5-9F41-8E67A7919985.jpeg

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Dealer got the new HVBJB in today and put it in. They just have to put the battery pack back in and it will be done. Should be done by Monday.

96B99978-59D2-4CC5-9F41-8E67A7919985.jpeg

super cool

I wonder if there is a spec sheet out anywhere that might enlighten us to the actual difference between A and D ?

higher ampacity?
better internal insulation for higher temp rating?

...I'll bet the Engineering team is wishing the had made an access port from the cabin floor under front seats rather than requiring the entire battery tray to be dropped.... I can't believe they made the HV fuses impossible to change without dropping the tray. I makes 'serviceable items' un servicible anywhere except Dealer. But, I guess that's ok consider high voltage risk for un-authorised/trained mechanics.

Last edited:

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Another GTPE Bites the Dust After 22S41! 96B99978-59D2-4CC5-9F41-8E67A7919985
Do you know what the full part number is that they ordered?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Do you know what the full part number is that they ordered?
Would be interesting to know... that picture is a 2021 revised part stamped

LK98 10C666 AB

The AWD/GT -C is a 2022 revision stamped:

NK48 10C666 AB

I hope he didn't somehow get an old version of the HVBJB because his profile says he has a GTPE.

OP
OP
cdale12

cdale12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Would be interesting to know... that picture is a 2021 revised part stamped

LK98 10C666 AB

The AWD/GT -C is a 2022 revision stamped:

NK48 10C666 AB

I hope he didn't somehow get an old version of the HVBJB because his profile says he has a GTPE.
I think that is the old part now that I look. The part number on them is 2342963-3. The other parts are 2406981-3 I think. Hard to make out.

F0ED982B-73EC-4293-98F5-F0956C715429.jpeg

OP
OP
cdale12

cdale12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I asked them if they got the new part and they assured me it was. They discussed it with Ford so I’m guessing they got it right.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I asked them if they got the new part and they assured me it was. They discussed it with Ford so I’m guessing they got it right.
Ok then it's likely they sent you a picture of the old one. Just wanted to be sure because that picture is the old one.
Sponsored