Another GTPE Bites the Dust After 22S41!

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Dealer got the new HVBJB in today and put it in. They just have to put the battery pack back in and it will be done. Should be done by Monday.

old parts had REV A on them. New parts have REV D on them.

96B99978-59D2-4CC5-9F41-8E67A7919985.jpeg
Well now I'm really confused because the Sandy Munro teardown video has these same part numbers (old) on the relays.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Another GTPE Bites the Dust After 22S41! 1657847047491

Are you certain the NEW parts aren't the ones with the A relay? P/N: 24xxxx instead of 23xxxx

edit: okay sounds like the pictured one is just your old HVBJB
Sponsored

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
For reference, it does seem to have made some changes is DC charging curve. Here is the info from today's EA aeasion. Seem fairly quick
It's this just some random comment you decided to bomb this thread with???

The last charge curve update came out in January.

So confused.

Last edited:

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
I doubt the software is "oversensitive." It is supposed to identify boxes that are likely to go bad. I'd be willing to bet its detection rate is really close to the number of vehicles Ford thinks they can service.

The software is supposed to tell you to take your car to get the new part. It's telling you it's your turn. It's not overly sensitive- it's likely made exactly sensitive enough, and will probably start flagging connectors that are nowhere near failing for replacement, which it should to coordinate a hardware replacement campaign.

I mean, christ, it takes them months to do any service at all. You think Ford wants to sit with hundreds of cars in line at the service department? The software patch is a totally reasonable tool to triage replacements so the service network can handle the volume. Any supply chain or process engineer will see the same thing- collect data and triage.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Without knowing any of the details on what the software measures and has as its tripwire threshholds, we have to trust Ford's design that it is not throwing too many false positives.

Instead, it probably is detecting actual contactor damage that the owner and Ford was unaware of before the software release. The number of vehicles already having unplanned ad hoc dealer visits will probably quickly overwhelm Ford (and create friction with its dealers), and I think it will be very interesting what crisis management Ford is going to deploy this week when their corporate offices are back from a week off.
I think the software IS the crisis management- it allows Ford to direct the most likely to fail cases to get service first, keeping service centers from getting overwhelmed.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I think the software IS the crisis management- it allows Ford to direct the most likely to fail cases to get service first, keeping service centers from getting overwhelmed.
You give Ford way too much strategery credit.

OP
OP
cdale12

cdale12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
68 289 Convertible, 21 GB GTPE MME
Country flag
Hard to spot anything that has overheated or is damaged on the old one; looks pretty new. Getting a pic of the new one would be interesting if that is not it.
The new one is the 2nd pic I posted mounted in the array. It has different numbers on the internal parts. Can’t see the overall part number though.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The new one is the 2nd pic I posted mounted in the array. It has different numbers on the internal parts. Can’t see the overall part number though.
Would be good if you could edit the first post and add your pictures. Old and New.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Another GTPE Bites the Dust After 22S41! Blowu

Maybe make sure the junction part number (total part) for the part replaced is on the invoice?

Think mine is revision -A.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Another GTPE Bites the Dust After 22S41! Parts.PNG

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
You give Ford way too much strategery credit.
I didn't say it was a good strategy!
They really probably should have avoided it by spending an extra 35 cents on an overbuilt part.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Well now I'm really confused because the Sandy Munro teardown video has these same part numbers (old) on the relays.

1657847047491.png

Are you certain the NEW parts aren't the ones with the A relay? P/N: 24xxxx instead of 23xxxx

edit: okay sounds like the pictured one is just your old HVBJB
Old P/N: 2342963
New P/N: 2406901

FWIW I think the easiest way to tell is to look at the date code in the lower left of the sticker. The new ones will have a date code of around 22140 or higher (I don't know the exact date changeover). Date code consists of year and # day of the year - YYDDD. 22140 is May 20, 2022, all the new ones I've seen so far have been made after that.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
this is the big question for sure.

if the 22s41 recall is really just a way to 'meter' the flood of warranty work.... ok I guess. But it basically means two trips to dealership rather than one. One for them to run diagnostic and verify code, and then order and wait for part, and another trip to install.

I've asked my Dealership if they can pre-order a couple HVBJB so they have at least one on hand.
And the Dealership said: ???

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
And the Dealership said: ???
Dealership said they are not allowed to stock replacement units until failure codes are recorded. Totally stupid since it means there will always be a wait for parts

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Dealership said they are not allowed to stock replacement units until failure codes are recorded. Totally stupid since it means there will always be a wait for parts
Translation: Ford is optimizing for it's bottom line, not customer experience.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Translation: Ford is optimizing for it's bottom line, not customer experience.
Exactly. Especially considering everyone of the vehicles made before the new unit started being installed is eligible for recall eventually it would make sense for dealers to have a stock of one or two on hand and do an orderly recall rather than wait for them to strand somebody

But wait, I think we've said that before