SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I've driven two ID.4s and I finally got to put my butt into the seat of a Mustang today and drive it for a bit.

The difference in ride quality is staggering. The Mustang is where it is supposed to be when it's supposed to be there. The ID.4 has body roll like it's a boat. Pulling across traffic or crossing several lanes of freeway was simple, firm, and poised in the Mustang; the ID.4 was all over the place (DW grabbed for the "oh-shit!" bar on the ID.4 when I crossed traffic but didn't even notice that I was doing the same in the Mustang).

We've had several classics: A 1965 Mustang; a 1968 Cougar; a 1971 Galaxie 500; several International Scouts; etc., etc. etc.

The ID.4 felt like a Galaxie 500.

In my opinion, the Mustang Mach-E doesn't drive like a classic Mustang, it drives the way a Mustang should drive: all the power where I wanted it to be every time I asked for it.

The interior of the ID.4 didn't feel as spacious as the Mustang's, though the numbers suggest they're nearly identical. The Mustang's interior also feels much more refined, defined, and higher quality.

The styling of the Mustang is far superior in my mind, though I understand why someone might prefer the ID.4's look. I didn't think I cared about the styling, but looking at it in person, it just pulls me into the feeling that I'll finally get to have a fastback instead of the coupes I've always settled for.

I am so glad we waited to test the Mustang before buying the ID.4 that's available. The 20 week wait is going to be worth it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
My biggest complaint about the Mustang is visibility out the back and the side view mirrors. It's quite disappointing for a modern vehicle's visibility to be designed so poorly that I'm already searching for aftermarket side view mirrors.

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
My biggest complaint about the Mustang is visibility out the back and the side view mirrors. It's quite disappointing for a modern vehicle's visibility to be designed so poorly that I'm already searching for aftermarket side view mirrors.
I’ve that a couple times now but I haven’t felt like I don’t have good visibility around the car.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Smiled reading this.

Pulled into a charger last month, and a few minutes later a gentleman showed up that was late 70s or more. Had a brand new ID4, and didn't really understand how to get the charger going... After helping him with that, he talked about how our cars "are basically the same" and that what won him over to the ID4 was "3 years of free charging"...

Mach-E AWD extended battery 0 to 60 in 4.8 seconds. ID4 in 7.8 seconds. Yeah, that's the same. Great comments on the ride.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The interior of the ID.4 didn't feel as spacious as the Mustang's, though the numbers suggest they're nearly identical. The Mustang's interior also feels much more refined, defined, and higher quality.

The styling of the Mustang is far superior in my mind, though I understand why someone might prefer the ID.4's look. I didn't think I cared about the styling, but looking at it in person, it just pulls me into the feeling that I'll finally get to have a fastback instead of the coupes I've always settled for.
The Mach-E interior feels more spacious because of the windows/light to me. IMO both have the same rear cargo space even though the banana box test says the ID.4 is a box or two ahead. It is the Model Y that definitely has more space than both. The ID.4's rear seats don't even fold level with the rear area (ugh).

I much prefer the Mach-E's styling but on ID.4 forums.. they all think the Mach-E is hideous... (what??). That's why we have choice I guess.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Smiled reading this.

Pulled into a charger last month, and a few minutes later a gentleman showed up that was late 70s or more. Had a brand new ID4, and didn't really understand how to get the charger going... After helping him with that, he talked about how our cars "are basically the same" and that what won him over to the ID4 was "3 years of free charging"...

Mach-E AWD extended battery 0 to 60 in 4.8 seconds. ID4 in 7.8 seconds. Yeah, that's the same. Great comments on the ride.
I suppose the VW owner’s sales guy fed him a bunch of lies about them being the same since there was press about VW and Ford jointly working on an electric platform. A VW enthusiast tried to pull that garbage on me a couple of years ago when I told him I was going Mach-E.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I suppose the VW owner’s sales guy fed him a bunch of lies about them being the same since there was press about VW and Ford jointly working on an electric platform. A VW enthusiast tried to pull that garbage on me a couple of years ago when I told him I was going Mach-E.
Salesfolk will almost say anything. Told me fast chargers were opening everywhere and that Tesla was opening up superchargers (lol). The only new EA charger planned near me is in Tampa almost 100 miles away. Once VW settlement money runs out there won’t be many new DC chargers built IMO.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
When I was shopping for a new electric it came down to two: Jaguar iPace and MME. The VW, Audi, Volvo and Tesla Y were discarded after the first test drive. The level of fit and finish in both the Jag and the Ford were similar and superb, the MME had a superior overall ride and a better sound system. The iPace had more acceleration and felt better in corners, but also less range. And it cost about $20K more. Add to that the reputation of a Ford VS the reputation of a Jag, and the choice became easy. MME ended up in my garage.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Succinct summation:

ID.4 rwd - electric driving appliance.
ID.4 awd - electric driving appliance with added acceleration/all climate (5.8 to 60) capability.

MMEs in all guises: EV designed for drivers who appreciate style, a decidedly sporting ride/handling balance, and good to great acceleration (3.5-6.1 to 60 model dependent). And much better range in ER spec.

Choose based on what you prioritize.

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I’ve that a couple times now but I haven’t felt like I don’t have good visibility around the car.
I can't speak to anyone else's experiences, just mine. I will figure out the best placement of the side view mirrors...eventually. The test car I drove was a used Premium RWD Ex that someone had had aftermarket tinted and with the dark rearview mirror and tinted rear window, I could almost not see out of the rear view. /shrug

Salesfolk will almost say anything. Told me fast chargers were opening everywhere and that Tesla was opening up superchargers (lol). The only new EA charger planned near me is in Tampa almost 100 miles away. Once VW settlement money runs out there won’t be many new DC chargers built IMO.
I suspect that EA will reach the threshold of being able to expand on their own before the VW money is exhausted. I know I'll be one of their regular customers during our road trips. I'm hoping that by the time I've saved up enough to replace my Tacoma with the F150 Lightning there will be many more fast DC chargers available so I can tow my trailer with and be done with ICE.

When I was shopping for a new electric it came down to two: Jaguar iPace and MME. The VW, Audi, Volvo and Tesla Y were discarded after the first test drive. The level of fit and finish in both the Jag and the Ford were similar and superb, the MME had a superior overall ride and a better sound system. The iPace had more acceleration and felt better in corners, but also less range. And it cost about $20K more. Add to that the reputation of a Ford VS the reputation of a Jag, and the choice became easy. MME ended up in my garage.
Interestingly, the dealer who had the Mustang available to test drive was a Jaguar dealer 2+ hours from our home. They didn't try to get us to test the iPace, and we wouldn't have because the cost of the Mustang is already higher than we've ever even considered spending on a single vehicle. DW is a very practical person and doesn't like to waste time on fantasies.

The 300+ mile range is a requirement for us. I have an elderly family member about 450 miles from my home that I have to plan to visit every few months on an on-going basis, so I need something that will allow me to get there relatively quickly and reliably while also not costing two arms and a leg. We were considering the ID.4 because of price and availability, but it's simply no longer in the running.

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Succinct summation:

ID.4 awd - electric driving appliance with added acceleration/all climate (5.8 to 60) capability.

MMEs in all guises: EV designed for drivers who appreciate style, a decidedly sporting ride/handling balance, and good to great acceleration (3.5-6.1 to 60 model dependent). And much better range in ER spec.

Pretty much.

I really don't care about off-the-line acceleration: I'm not a track driver. But poise and control when joining traffic does matter to me. I've driven many cars that have spectacular acceleration but are terrifying to drive in traffic because they only accelerate well in a straight line and fell apart when the front wheels were turned a tiny bit. Pulling out of a parking lot to cross traffic safely is what matters to me. The Mustang I tested yesterday behaved well when doing real-world testing. [And it still blew my socks off when playing as much as I could with the salesrep in the back seat.]

The range is incredibly important to me; the only vehicle available today that meets that need for me is the Mustang.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
I spent some time looking over an ID4 at one of the local EV shows. The owner was really glad to see the MachE - they had originally wanted one but just couldn’t find one so went with the ID4. He did say he was very happy with it. I didn’t get to drive it, but I did sit in it to compare the interior a bit.

Looks are subjective, but I think VW did a good job with the ID4. I still think the MachE looks better, but in the world of blobby CAD-happy designs, the ID4 looks pretty good in person. The interior is nice, but doesn’t feel quite as open. I like the shifter being up high, and I like the more usable center console area.

Outside of small things like interior, I think the only two things the ID4 materially offer above the MachE are higher ground clearance and a real tow rating and factory tow package. For some people these could be actual dealbreakers and push you to the ID4.

But I think the MachE is the better overall package - frunk, AWD (available now), range, power, interior and exterior looks, etc. I liked the ID4 but I don’t regret getting the MachE at all.

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I spent some time looking over an ID4 at one of the local EV shows. The owner was really glad to see the MachE - they had originally wanted one but just couldn’t find one so went with the ID4. He did say he was very happy with it. I didn’t get to drive it, but I did sit in it to compare the interior a bit.

Looks are subjective, but I think VW did a good job with the ID4. I still think the MachE looks better, but in the world of blobby CAD-happy designs, the ID4 looks pretty good in person. The interior is nice, but doesn’t feel quite as open. I like the shifter being up high, and I like the more usable center console area.
I don't like the Mustang shifter. Freeing up the center console is another place I think the ID.4 bests the Mustang.

I don't dislike the ID.4 looks. I just prefer the Mustang's lines overall.

Outside of small things like interior, I think the only two things the ID4 materially offer above the MachE are higher ground clearance and a real tow rating and factory tow package. For some people these could be actual dealbreakers and push you to the ID4.
Agreed. We almost went with the ID.4 because it has a factory tow hitch available and better ground clearance. But mostly, we almost went with the ID.4 because it was available and because of the $7500 lease incentive that passed on the tax credit from VW to the customer.

But I think the MachE is the better overall package - frunk, AWD (available now), range, power, interior and exterior looks, etc. I liked the ID4 but I don’t regret getting the MachE at all.
Agreed. And I don't think I'll regret waiting another 20 weeks for mine. That's "only" five months. I've waited longer for less.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
if the Mach-E simply didn't exist, I strongly suspect I'd have set aside my strong anti-VW bias to get an ID.4 AWD. What's interesting to me is that in general the reviews are somewhat spread out on it... maybe that's just "the nature of the beast" though.

Succinct summation:

this is an interesting way to look at it. I'm not sure VW would feel too bent out of shape by it either, since the ID.4 is kind of meant to be an electric driving appliance?

surprisingly nobody mentioned the lack of a frunk or the 2 years "free" EA yet on this specific thread. ?
Sponsored