Another model y and MME comparison

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
Too bias! Didn’t like.
It might be biased but a lot of stuff is true - especially with the latest addition of Model Y Standard Range - which is still 244 vs 230 for Mach E. And MY feels and drives faster, and Price tag for RWD Model Y now is $40,490 - and that without any incentives and credits. And I agree, the rear part of Mach E looks kind of squeezed - the lights do not feel proportional to the size of the rear part. Though, when they moved from Mach E to Model Y, it felt that they moved to some sterile cabin waiting for a surgery - very lonely there :). More and more I see how different these two vehicles are but totally understandable why Tesla is so popular.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Once again people don’t compare real world ranges. They compare every other EV to Tesla’s inflated numbers. See the 70mph Taycan tests Tesla owners.

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
Does this guy have his recording device attached to his head? First couple of minutes talking in the parking lot was making me nauseous. ?
Yep, you can see his reflection at 3:04!

It might be biased but a lot of stuff is true - especially with the latest addition of Model Y Standard Range - which is still 244 vs 230 for Mach E. And MY feels and drives faster, and Price tag for RWD Model Y now is $40,490 - and that without any incentives and credits. And I agree, the rear part of Mach E looks kind of squeezed - the lights do not feel proportional to the size of the rear part. Though, when they moved from Mach E to Model Y, it felt that they moved to some sterile cabin waiting for a surgery - very lonely there :). More and more I see how different these two vehicles are but totally understandable why Tesla is so popular.
Agreed. At least he also called out that he was likely biased as well since they own the MY. I'm still torn as to which I like better ... I like the interior driver experience (e.g. driver gauge + center console), build quality, door styling, kick to open trunk, and trunk cover of the ME, but the better software, general tech (e.g. electronic controlled telescoping), 3rd row option, interior rear passenger space, and trunk space of the MY.

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
Once again people don’t compare real world ranges. They compare every other EV to Tesla’s inflated numbers. See the 70mph Taycan tests Tesla owners.
Yes, but so do most EV manufacturers including the ME. There's just a lot of variability given environmental factors as well:
  1. Mach E: https://insideevs.com/reviews/482440/video-ford-mustang-mache-real-world-range-test/#:~:text=According to Ford and the,E in the real world.
  2. Model Y: https://insideevs.com/reviews/438735/video-tesla-model-y-real-world-range-test/

JoseLuisDeLaCruz

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV
Occupation
CEO and Founder of Parking Heaven
Country flag
Yep, you can see his reflection at 3:04!

Agreed. At least he also called out that he was likely biased as well since they own the MY. I'm still torn as to which I like better ... I like the interior driver experience (e.g. driver gauge + center console), build quality, door styling, kick to open trunk, and trunk cover of the ME, but the better software, general tech (e.g. electronic controlled telescoping), 3rd row option, interior rear passenger space, and trunk space of the MY.
I am torn too lol! Ugh!

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
This review was pretty funny. Not intentionally so - just funny listening to two Tesla fans subconsciously reaching to justify the superiority of their Model Y over the new hot chick at the bar. Some of the gems:

"Obviously looks are subjective, but seeing them in person the Tesla looks a lot better from the rear. I know the front look are subjective - some people like them some people don't...." Come on man. Come on. You're right, looks are subjective, but if you actually think the bland, formless Tesla looks better from ANY angle, I'm immediately going to discount your opinions. If you're going to do an "unbiased" review, give credit where it is due.

Saying the back of the MME only looks good "from a certain camera angle" and the taillights look "squished." LOL ok.

"We're not biased we've owned Fords blah blah blah" let's get to the actual review guys.

I love the reluctant tone in his voice: "It's a *fairly* handsome cabin?" LOL.

He "doesn't mind" the driver's side instrument panel "too much." I guess it bothers him a little? "It's fine." Again the tone in his voice. LOL. Another clear advantage, totally discounted.

"Right off the bat the steering feels more.... normal, like a traditional car." Yup. "The ride is better on this .... a little less jolty than the Tesla?" Yup. "It's definitely quieter than the Model Y." Yup. Again nothing surprising here - but the begrudging acceptance in their voices... LOL.

Ok I learned one thing - the Model Y doesn't have a 360 camera? I though it had like a million cameras.

Comparing $56k to $43k is NOT based on directly-comparable models and also ignores the tax credit. This comes up several times throughout.

"I don't want to say this" but it feels like driving a Ford Edge. Yes, you absolutely want to say that.

"This car has an identity crisis ... at least the Model Y is being honest with itself...." I think this is the first review that has attempted to psychoanalyze two pieces of machinery. I would prefer to psychoanalyze the reviewers. Verdict: desperately reaching for Tesla justification.

"You get in the Tesla and you're like 'oh my God this drives awesome." You get in the Ford and you're like 'this drives like another Ford.'" Just minutes ago you agree the MME drives quieter, smoother, with more responsive steering.....

The turn signal stalks feel cheap! Come of Ford, cutting corners on the turn signal stalks. SMDH....

"It takes more clicks to get to things" on the screen. Hmmm. One of the criticisms of the Teslas is that you have to "click on" a lot more stuff on the screen because they removed all the physical buttons!!

"In the Tesla you can't have any fun." Again, the same guys who just said the Tesla drives awesome. What the deuce is going on here?!

The MME is "much less efficient" than the Tesla. Well, somewhat less efficient to be sure, but comparing Ford's truer range numbers to Tesla's inflated numbers leads to distorted results. It's very true, however, the MME weighs a lot more, so it can't be as efficient. I wish it didn't, but it also feels more solid. The MME is quieter because it has stuff like *window frames,* which add to the weight.

They're still talking about the "price difference" - not acknowledging that the MME is several thousand CHEAPER on an apples-to-apples basis.

The Tesla "feels like you're piloting a remote control car." And he says that like it's a good thing. I dunno.

"The Mach E feels like you're driving an SUV. This doesn't feel like you're driving an SUV." That may partly be explained because the Model Y is just a Model 3 with a higher roofline. It's basically the same wheel base and chassis. One of my biggest reasons to dislike the Model Y is they built it on the chassis of a mid-size car.

The tire width comparison - I'll give Tesla the nod on that one. I don't like how narrow the MME tires are, either.

The review also never once mentioned the vastly superior Supercharger network. Ford will catch up eventually, but right now that's THE biggest selling point of the Tesla.
Sponsored

Last edited: