Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
You edited your post to change what words you attributed to me. I'm done.
Actually, no I haven't. You even quoted my post to preserve it (and it hasn't changed). I would also be more than happy for the administrator to show my edits. Maybe you misread it to begin with.
Sponsored

dw0095

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium
Country flag
My EV road tripping days are on pause for now. I did not have the patience and optimism due to a few bad experiences. Perhaps it was because the Northeast infrastructure is just not adequate or because my kids were just too excited to get to our destination but maybe as a second vehicle someday, we will be back. Until then ✌ and good luck to you all. Hello 2023 Honda Pilot

IMG_20230506_135739.jpg

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
My EV road tripping days are on pause for now. I did not have the patience and optimism due to a few bad experiences. Perhaps it was because the Northeast infrastructure is just not adequate or because my kids were just too excited to get to our destination but maybe as a second vehicle someday, we will be back. Until then ✌ and good luck to you all. Hello 2023 Honda Pilot

Ford Mustang Mach-E Another road trip in the books (680 miles round-trip)...Took I-40 / Rte 66 between Flagstaff and Albuquerque and back. IMG_20230506_135739
The Pilot is a solid family vehicle.
Good luck!

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I really don't get why you're twisting things here. I have NEVER said that EVs aren't suited for road trips, so don't put that on me. You said:

I simply asked you to confirm your statement.

I'm not saying, nor have I ever said, that EVs aren't for road trips. I've only said that EVs will take longer on road trips, for me, based on my driving style, vs ICE. I have always said that some people like to take their time, and for them the added time is enjoyable. I just take issue when people say there's no difference in time as a blanket rule. Maybe for them, and the way they like to travel lends to the same time, but that's not true for everyone.

I think one of the main issues with EVs is that EV enthusiasts make up stories to impress people who don't like EVs. Likewise EV haters claim stupid things like "you'll have to replace a battery every 5 years". I really wish people could just be honest about EVs. They have pros and cons, just like almost anything in life. We should stop trying to say they're equal to ICE vehicles, they aren't. When we set improper expectations on EVs it lends to greater distaste.
Can we have reports from regions where ev chargers are mostly 50 or 62.5kW rated- hey I am talking about you Northen Michigan- and few in locations? I cant believe road tripping
Well over 650 miles is fun in those conditions.

Phil Martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clarity
Country flag
Years ago we decided not to purchase a BEV. We purchased two PHEV instead years ago. The main reason was roadtrip charging. When were on a roadtrip it's usually because we're on vacation and the last thing I want to deal with is sitting around waiting to charge, having to deal with it and being glued to the GOM.

We have driven 120k miles on the PHEVs. 75% of that is electric. We plug in at home and at work. We used to try and find L2 chargers when doing errands but the charging novelty wore off 90k miles or so ago.

The nice thing with PHEV when we're out and about is there's zero planning, I don't need to research which chargers actually work, no apps to deal with, we're not stuck at eating near chargers or sitting in Walmart parking lots and we can stay at any hotel or VRBO. And wondering where to charge or battery charge state is never on my mind. When we get back home, plug in and we're back driving on smooth electric.

I have a hard time believing when some say they enjoy stopping every couple hours to charge and get to stretch their legs, let's be honest it's not like you can't do that in any gas car, motorcycle, bicycle, tricycle etc etc.. In fact you have more freedom and can do that anywhere.

Last edited:

thumperr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
96 Probe, 2002 Explorer XLT, 2019 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag
I’m Thinking about buying a Mach-e. we just drove to orlando from western Maryland and during the trip I paid attention to where chargers where located and if they were at my stops.

my wife has certain restroom requirements for cleanliness…
so we use a lot of rest stops, and I did not notice charging at the i95 reststops.

I also did not see any interstate blue services signs for charging, like that exist with gas. I did notice a couple charging locations off the interstate. I saw the chargers in the parking lots a Disney, there were 3 or 4.

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I’m Thinking about buying a Mach-e. we just drove to orlando from western Maryland and during the trip I paid attention to where chargers where located and if they were at my stops.

my wife has certain restroom requirements for cleanliness…
so we use a lot of rest stops, and I did not notice charging at the i95 reststops.
Congress is (has been for a long time) looking at a bill allowing commercialization at interstate rest stops, but at this time, commercialization of rest stops along federally-funded highways is generally prohibited. There are some vending machines, etc., but generally not much more is allowed. If states wanted to get into providing DCFC themselves, that might be possible, but I think that's highly unlikely.

I also did not see any interstate blue services signs for charging, like that exist with gas. I did notice a couple charging locations off the interstate. I saw the chargers in the parking lots a Disney, there were 3 or 4.
Yeah, one of the major failures of Electrify America and others is that they don't advertise their locations very well. Your best bet for finding locations of chargers is through PlugShare. PlugShare, in my experience, has the most up-to-date information.
Sponsored