eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I finally got my MME FE onto some reasonably longer distance driving around western Oregon yesterday under near optimal conditions (on the cooler side of optimal) - air temps in the low to mid 50's, dry roads, not too much braking, and enjoying the gawking at the car from a bunch of teenagers in a 1970's muscle car driving south on I-5.

This was a mixture of state highways and interstate, generally between 55 mph and 67 mph, with intelligent cruise control and lane centering most of the time. This was my first lengthy drive with climate control turned off except for a small amount of heat seating at the beginning. I got a solid 3.5 mi/kWh and my own calculations of range at 100% charge (not the car's estimate, which was biased by previous driving) came out to between 308 miles and 342 miles (the lower estimate just assuming I'd fully charged to 88 kWh usable - although I didn't quite get to 100% charge - it registered 99% and 2 miles range short of target when I pulled the charger at home; and the higher range based on miles actually driven and percentage of charge used for those miles).

It was a big relief to see that the MME met/beat EPA estimated range, at least under near ideal conditions. My old 2017 Bolt (66 kWh, EPA rated at 238 miles, 3.9 mi/kWh, single motor, and lighter than the MME) achieved around 304 miles actual one summer drive on I-5 with no climate control on and cruise control on at 65 mph all the way. I didn't think the MME FE would come close to this, even with its 88 kWh (usable) battery - but it did.
Dory. Th

The most charge I get at 100% is 240
Sponsored

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
140 kW is pretty impressive! I've been mostly hearing up to around 100 kW. Must be the good weather in Cali that did the trick! Thanks for your review and enjoy your new ride.:)
Agreed. I think that the MME's DCFC charge rate is quite temperature sensitive. Slow in cold weather, and apparently excellent in very warm weather.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Agreed. I think that the MME's DCFC charge rate is quite temperature sensitive. Slow in cold weather, and apparently excellent in very warm weather.
I kind of disagree. We are currently driving at night in 46 degree weather. The biggest effect is 1.8 mi/KWH. During the day we get 2.2-2.5 at 86mph. Charging is the same. 55 degrees during the day and we are still getting over 100 from 17 -70. Then it starts dropping. By 80$ it is around 79

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
What needs to be tweaked is the distance to charge and the rate of charge. Right now we are going roughly 110 miles and have to charge for 35 minutes.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The first EA station we hit jumped right to 143KW and we walked away and grabbed a coffee and by the time we came back we were at 79% and it was at 108kw, as soon as 80 hit it dropped to like 17KW though. Not sure what it was between 30 and 80% though as we weren't at the car. The second session started at 148kw @ 37% SOC and stayed between 130-148kw to about 70% then slowly ramped down to like 103-110ish until 80% were we ended it.
That second session sounds insane. How many minutes was that one?

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
What needs to be tweaked is the distance to charge and the rate of charge. Right now we are going roughly 110 miles and have to charge for 35 minutes.
Assuming you're charging to 80%, what's the SoC when you're pulling into your next station and what's your avg speed?

OP
OP

Cherlin

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Focus RS , Premium EX4, 22' M3 SR+, R1T Order
Occupation
Electric Utilities - Management
Country flag
That second session sounds insane. How many minutes was that one?
I wasn't timing it but I know we were there under 30 minutes. That being said, today we had our first issues at an EA station, 2 of the plugs kicked off after 10KW and wouldnt restart, a third would only charge at 37kw and the 4th charged fast, but then wouldn't release when we stopped charging and we had to call EA to get them to release it.