Another way to lock your MME

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
Maybe I'm late to this party, so forgive me if I've missed this somewhere else, but here's a tip: On a whim, when getting out of my MME after parking it in a store parking lot, I decided to see if it could do what only one other car I've owned could do: My 2017 Chevy Bolt would let you pre-emptively tell the vehicle to lock if you tap on the lock button on the drivers door while you're getting out. Then once you closed the drivers door the whole car locked. I was so happy to discover today that the MME also does this! It's my favorite way to lock the vehicle. See attached pic...just turn off the car, and while you're getting out, tap on the lock button on the inside driver door. Once you've exited and closed all doors the car will lock (and side view mirrors close if you use that).
Here's why this is my favorite lock method:
1) I don't need to press anything on the key fob
2) I dont need to press or wave on the lock symbol above the door button to try to get it to load
3) I don't have to have auto-lock on walkaway turned on. (I dont like this feature cuz when enabled, it also does this when I'm home parked in the garage, which is super annoying). I wish the MME had a setting where you could have it auto lock when you're away from home, but not when in the garage/connected to home WiFi. If it did I'd use this.

So for any fellow weirdos like me out there who meet the above criteria, there's your locking solution!

20210225_111146.jpg
Sponsored

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
If you simultaneously press the bottom 2 keypad buttons on the door pillar that's another option for locking too. Plus that works if you want to leave a key in the car and still lock it (e.g. going for a run, hike, etc.).

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I had a twinge of jealousy seeing the red stitching <sigh> :rolleyes:

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
So you hit the interior lock button with the door open and then close the door and the car is locked? Isn’t that how all cars work? Am I missing something?

I'm curious too on this, all my cars with power lock had this feature!!!

And even when others doors are open and you pressed the lock button onthe driver door it would lock all doors as soon as they would close

Or maybe the OP was being sarcastic!

OP
OP
Jako607

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
So you hit the interior lock button with the door open and then close the door and the car is locked? Isn’t that how all cars work? Am I missing something?
Yes, but not all cars will do this. My last 2 cars don't, including my 2019 Bolt. Some cars won't lock at all, some will instantly lock all doors when you hit the button. This won't lock anything until after all 4 doors are closed and you've exited.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Yes, but not all cars will do this. My last 2 cars don't, including my 2019 Bolt.
What did your last cars do? Unlock when you closed the door? Mine only do that if you leave a fob in the car (so you don’t get locked out).

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
Maybe I'm late to this party, so forgive me if I've missed this somewhere else, but here's a tip: On a whim, when getting out of my MME after parking it in a store parking lot, I decided to see if it could do what only one other car I've owned could do: My 2017 Chevy Bolt would let you pre-emptively tell the vehicle to lock if you tap on the lock button on the drivers door while you're getting out. Then once you closed the drivers door the whole car locked. I was so happy to discover today that the MME also does this! It's my favorite way to lock the vehicle. See attached pic...just turn off the car, and while you're getting out, tap on the lock button on the inside driver door. Once you've exited and closed all doors the car will lock (and side view mirrors close if you use that).
Here's why this is my favorite lock method:
1) I don't need to press anything on the key fob
2) I dont need to press or wave on the lock symbol above the door button to try to get it to load
3) I don't have to have auto-lock on walkaway turned on. (I dont like this feature cuz when enabled, it also does this when I'm home parked in the garage, which is super annoying). I wish the MME had a setting where you could have it auto lock when you're away from home, but not when in the garage/connected to home WiFi. If it did I'd use this.

So for any fellow weirdos like me out there who meet the above criteria, there's your locking solution!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Another way to lock your MME 20210225_111146
I’ll like this bc I’m very used to tapping the exterior door handle on my 2015 fusion to lock the car when exiting with a fob. Although pressing the exterior MME button maybe just as easy for me. Thx!

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
If you simultaneously press the bottom 2 keypad buttons on the door pillar that's another option for locking too. Plus that works if you want to leave a key in the car and still lock it (e.g. going for a run, hike, etc.).
Does this actually work for you? I tried it on mine after setting up my code and it didn't work. ITs worked on every other Ford vehicle I have but can't seem to get it to work on this one.

ConejoRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CA Route 1 Mach-E, Chevrolet Volt
Country flag
Our Volt has a button on the outside door handles if you push it, it locks all the doors (or unlocks) as long as the fob is in range (and not in the car) and is what we usually use. Will have to check out the bottom two keypad push option for the MachE when our arrives.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Hondas are notorious for not allowing you to lock in this manner. Apparently, Honda thinks their drivers are prone to locking their keys in the car.

OP
OP
Jako607

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
What did your last cars do? Unlock when you closed the door? Mine only do that if you leave a fob in the car (so you don’t get locked out).
Same as @Masquis mentioned, many cars won't let you do this, including my 2019 Bolt. If you turn off the car and start to get out and hit the lock button on the inside of driver's door, it will lock all doors then immediately unlock them. So the only way to lock the car if you're walking away is to get out, close the door, and then turn around and tap the button on the door handle or use the key fob. The method I described in my original post allows you to just hit the lock button and then walk away. People who can do this in their cars already may not find this novel, but many cars will not allow you to do it, so I'm just pointing out that the MME will let you, and it's quite nice for those of us that have not had this convenience.

Reactions: Nav

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Same as @Masquis mentioned, many cars won't let you do this, including my 2019 Bolt. If you turn off the car and start to get out and hit the lock button on the inside of driver's door, it will lock all doors then immediately unlock them. So the only way to lock the car if you're walking away is to get out, close the door, and then turn around and tap the button on the door handle or use the key fob. The method I described in my original post allows you to just hit the lock button and then walk away. People who can do this in their cars already may not find this novel, but many cars will not allow you to do it, so I'm just pointing out that the MME will let you, and it's quite nice for those of us that have not had this convenience.
Fords will typically automatically unlock, if you leave the keys in the car, and then honk the horn.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Our Volt has a button on the outside door handles if you push it, it locks all the doors (or unlocks) as long as the fob is in range (and not in the car) and is what we usually use. Will have to check out the bottom two keypad push option for the MachE when our arrives.
The MME has a lock button on the outside too.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
People who can do this in their cars already may not find this novel, but many cars will not allow you to do it, so I'm just pointing out that the MME will let you, and it's quite nice for those of us that have not had this convenience.
Got it. I guess since all my cars have always done this, it never occurred to me that it wouldn’t work.
Sponsored