(answered)Concern on charging to 100% every charge.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Oh, so again it's tagged to locations. I was tapping the battery itself, and at B, at C, at D... getting angrier and angrier. I didn't want a "Charging Location" setting, I wanted a "always" battery setting.
Yes that would be nice - no matter where I am charging just charge always to x%.. I have not yet charged at EA or chargepoint - so my need would only be at those stations to limit to 80% to do quick charges by default unless I am patient to hang around for additional time.
Sponsored

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I agree.

Do you have trouble with the built-in navigation? I'm asking because bad GPS module would definitely mess up the location-based charge settings.

Do you park in a huge parking structure or underground parking lot with multiple entrances? That might also complicate where the car think it is. In the app and in the car, you should see a list of locations that you've charged at in the past. If Mach E treated your location as two or more distinct locations, maybe set the charge schedule for each. That would be an annoying (but effective) workaround.
Inside a "standard" detached garage.

The nav is total garbage though. Mine can't find charging stations unless you specifically know the address in advance and navigate to the address first.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Oh, so again it's tagged to locations. I was tapping the battery itself, and at B, at C, at D... getting angrier and angrier. I didn't want a "Charging Location" setting, I wanted a "always" battery setting.
I take it you didn't bother using the searchable online manual which would have given you the answer straight away? Or did you find the search function too complex?

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Inside a "standard" detached garage.

The nav is total garbage though. Mine can't find charging stations unless you specifically know the address in advance and navigate to the address first.
My Mach E automatically adds DCFC when I navigate to a far away location (from SF to LA). The route and DCFC stations chosen was the same as what ABetterRoutePlanner recommended when I planned the route.

I've been using Android Auto for day-to-day navigation and the built-in navigation for long trips.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I take it you didn't bother using the searchable online manual which would have given you the answer straight away? Or did you find the search function too complex?
The search function returned dozens of hits, none of which seemed obviously to be the right ones. I tried, it is not intuitive in the slightest.

The settings menu itself needs to be searchable, it's a dozen pages or more, way too complicated.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
My Mach E automatically adds DCFC when I navigate to a far away location (from SF to LA). The route and DCFC stations chosen was the same as what ABetterRoutePlanner recommended when I planned the route.

I've been using Android Auto for day-to-day navigation and the built-in navigation for long trips.
Nice. Mine... doesn't. Mine says "No Results Found" when I manually search, and when I ask the SYNC voice assistant, it helpfully speaks back to me "No Results Found."

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Isn’t this MME battery already maxed at only using 88kwh of a full 98.8 battery. (For ER.) do we really need to also limit charge to less than 100%?
You don't need to limit the charge unless you plan to leave the vehicle parked for an extended period. Many folks like having the choice so Ford has obliged. No harm in limiting the charge to a lower percentage either. Totally fine either way. ?

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Others have answered this question but I wanted to add my two cents.

Like others have said, yes it is limited to 88kWh of capacity already but it is better for the battery if you limit the charge even more.

There has been studies done on batteries that I can't seem to find now but basically the studies show battery longevity is longer the lower the state of charge you keep. The study compared charging from 0-50% versus 50-100%. They saw much greater life out of the one charged 0-50%.

I set mine to stop at 80% as well and will charge higher if I need to go a long distance. Which will probably be almost never.
If I only plan on keeping the vehicle for 3 years then does it really matter if I charge to 95 or even 100%?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
If I only plan on keeping the vehicle for 3 years then does it really matter if I charge to 95 or even 100%?
Nope. Even if you keep your vehicle for 8 or 10 years, it still isn't going to make a noticeable difference.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Nope. Even if you keep your vehicle for 8 or 10 years, it still isn't going to make a noticeable difference.
Great, 100% it is, then lol

Papa T

First Name
Treven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X1
Country flag
Are you confident on this? I've read a good bit, and there are others in this thread as well, suggesting that battery life is better if you do not fully charge on a regular basis.

I'm asking with all respect NOT trying to challenge you. I'm new to this and expecting my MME in the next week or two (at least as long as the current hold issues don't affect me). I do plan on keeping mine for a good while, and I'm looking for a good education on this topic and wondering why there seems to be some difference of opinion.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Are you confident on this? I've read a good bit, and there are others in this thread as well, suggesting that battery life is better if you do not fully charge on a regular basis.

I'm asking with all respect NOT trying to challenge you. I'm new to this and expecting my MME in the next week or two (at least as long as the current hold issues don't affect me). I do plan on keeping mine for a good while, and I'm looking for a good education on this topic and wondering why there seems to be some difference of opinion.
Agreed that charging a lithium battery to 100% regularly is bad for its health as it speeds up the process of dendrite formation. The manual recommends charging to 90% for longevity. But the key point is that there is already a big buffer built in software by Ford, so even 100% is not 100%. The max usable portion of an extended range battery is 88 kWh, but the actual pack capacity is 98.7 kWh, so when you charge it to 100% it's actually only charged to 89% and when you charge it to 90% you're actually charging it to 80%.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag

If you charge your vehicle to 100% EVERY TIME, it was still designed to meet this:

High Voltage Lithium-Ion Battery Capacity Coverage
As is the case with all batteries, the high voltage lithium-ion battery capacity will decrease over time and with use. While gradual capacity loss with time and use is considered normal wear and tear, Ford Motor Company warrants the high voltage battery against excessive capacity loss for a period of 8 years/100,000 miles, whichever comes first. If an authorized EV Certified Ford Dealer determines that the battery capacity is less than 70 percent of the high voltage battery’s beginning of life capacity, this level of capacity loss is considered excessive. The measurement method used to determine the high voltage battery capacity, and the decision of whether to repair, replace, or provide reconditioned or remanufactured parts, and the condition of any such replaced, reconditioned or remanufactured parts, are at the sole discretion of Ford Motor Company. During the High Voltage Battery Capacity Coverage period, Ford Motor Company will cover the necessary component repair or replacement to correct this excessive capacity loss, when performed by an EV Certified Ford dealership. This coverage is in addition to the high voltage battery assembly’s limited warranty for defects in materials or workmanship. If a warranty repair requires replacement of the high voltage battery assembly, or one of its components, it may be replaced with a new, factory remanufactured, or factory refurbished component, at Ford’s descretion. Refurbished battery components selected for your vehicle will align with your vehicle’s age, and mileage. NOTE: The battery capacity degradation rate will vary based on various factors, including environmental conditions, and will also be affected by the way in which the vehicle is used. Following the recommendations in the Preserving Your High Voltage Battery section of the Owner’s Manual may help lower the rate of capacity degradation and optimize battery life.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...-E-Warranty_version-1_frdwa_EN-US_11_2020.pdf

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E (answered)Concern on charging to 100% every charge. 1614799240155

Like I said, I could not find it while driving or after this conversations you can see why my belief would be the opposite. I am pleased to find there is a management system!

Thanks for your input!

Zach
Wooooowwwww. Wrong on both counts.
I'm afraid the vast majority of people are consulting Ford and getting answers like this.
@Ford Team - I know this isn't your team, but somebody needs to educate your support people.