Anti-Theft Alarm and Sensors

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Every time I turn off my car, the center screen asks me "Alarm System - Turn Off Motion Sensors?" I believe this addressed on Page 88 of the manual, but I'm still a little unclear on this. For example, I can turn off this exit message by toggling off "Ask on Exit." Great, but should I maybe keep the reminder? What are the practical implications?

As I understand it, the alarm sensor has many components, two of which are perimeter sensors and interior motion sensors. If I select All Sensors, that includes both perimeter and interior motion sensing. If I select Perimeter Sensing, then that only activates the perimeter sensing and turns off the interior motion sensing. Do I have this right so far?

So how do the perimeter alarm sensors work? I don't want my alarm going off anytime somebody walks or accidentally brushes against the car.

If I've got my perimeter sensors armed, what extra security do the interior motion sensors provide?

And I presume the reason I have the option of getting the "ask on exit" reminder about whether to turn off the interior sensors is if I normally have the interior sensors engaged, but maybe sometimes I want to lock the car with a dog or kids inside?

I'm kinda leaning toward turning off the interior sensors and the ask-on-exit message. But if there is a good reason to keep the interior sensors on by default, I'm all ears.
Sponsored

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Every time I turn off my car, the center screen asks me "Alarm System - Turn Off Motion Sensors?" I believe this addressed on Page 88 of the manual, but I'm still a little unclear on this. For example, I can turn off this exit message by toggling off "Ask on Exit." Great, but should I maybe keep the reminder? What are the practical implications?

As I understand it, the alarm sensor has many components, two of which are perimeter sensors and interior motion sensors. If I select All Sensors, that includes both perimeter and interior motion sensing. If I select Perimeter Sensing, then that only activates the perimeter sensing and turns off the interior motion sensing. Do I have this right so far?

So how do the perimeter alarm sensors work? I don't want my alarm going off anytime somebody walks or accidentally brushes against the car.
I don't have the answer but a question. Do any factory car alarms go off if you just touch the car? I know aftermarket alarms did/do. Seems limited value.

It's possible perimeter here just means if door is opened.

If I've got my perimeter sensors armed, what extra security do the interior motion sensors provide?
You leave a window down and someone reaches inside the car.

What I don't know is if the Mach-E can detect broken window. If it can then motion doesn't seem to add a whole lot of value other than if you left the window down. If it can't, then it has additional value.

And I presume the reason I have the option of getting the "ask on exit" reminder about whether to turn off the interior sensors is if I normally have the interior sensors engaged, but maybe sometimes I want to lock the car with a dog or kids inside?
Correct, that's why you would turn it off.

I'm kinda leaning toward turning off the interior sensors and the ask-on-exit message. But if there is a good reason to keep the interior sensors on by default, I'm all ears.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag

Pro tip: If you are going to run into the house or wherever while someone remains in the car, make sure you turn the sensors off. Oops!

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
The other option for some is to turn off the walk away locking. We had to shut that one off on day two or the car was not going to be compatible with our house. That way it is only locked when we actively want it locked.

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I kinda like the walk away locking because that means Iā€™ve walked away with the fob so Iā€™m not locking myself out. Iā€™d rather err on the side of security even if Iā€™m occasionally being inconvenienced.

But on the alarms, I think Iā€™m gonna turn off the interior motion sensors and the exit reminder about the sensors. All that seems like more trouble than itā€™s worth. Iā€™ll keep the perimeter sensors on and hopefully thatā€™s just for stuff like fiddling with door handles and windows and such.

TheStig

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GB Mach-E FE, 2023 Porsche GT4
Country flag
I completely turned off the interior sensors and exit reminder. If I ever have to leave my car in an unknown parking lot for an extended period of time, I might turn it back on.

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My first attempt to use PAAK this morning allowed me to open the car door in the garage.... but then my alarm was set off. My wife really appreciated that. Actually, as a former Mustang owner her exact words were "that's not what a Mustang horn sounds like." Gotta love it.

Sigh.... I'm not up for troubleshooting PAAK.

Hplbiking

First Name
Hugo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Emgineer
Country flag
I kinda like the walk away locking because that means Iā€™ve walked away with the fob so Iā€™m not locking myself out. Iā€™d rather err on the side of security even if Iā€™m occasionally being inconvenienced.

But on the alarms, I think Iā€™m gonna turn off the interior motion sensors and the exit reminder about the sensors. All that seems like more trouble than itā€™s worth. Iā€™ll keep the perimeter sensors on and hopefully thatā€™s just for stuff like fiddling with door handles and windows and such.
You do have a code that will open the car if you lock the fob inside.

MachE2021

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Impala
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Pro tip: If you are going to run into the house or wherever while someone remains in the car, make sure you turn the sensors off. Oops!
I accidentally did this when my girlfriend was in my car. Left her for a minute in my car with the alarm going off after heading into my condo complex to grab something....oops.

Finkerton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag
I desperately want to fully disable the alarm. The number of times it's gone off due to some PaaK screwup is...high.

Has anyone figured out how to do this?

makooy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD SR Lucid Red TP+
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
Does any Select owner have the ā€œAlarm settingsā€ in their settings menu? I have an RWD SR EU-version(almost same as USA Select).

i mis the ā€œAlarm settingsā€ options in my settings menu.
iā€˜ve also tried the following :
1. unlock car
2. lower the windows
3. Lock the car
4. walk away
5. let someone else try to grap an item from within the car through the open windows
alarm = NOT turning on

test 2:
1. unlock car
2. lower the windows
3. Lock the car
4. walk away
5. let someone else try open the door through the open windows
alarm = turning on

looks like I dont have any Interior Sensors and the settings for it. Curious what Select drivers in the USA have.

Finkerton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag
It turns out that there is a fuse marked specifically for "anti-theft alarm horn" (body control module fuse box, fuse 20). I haven't tried it yet but I'm thinking of pulling that fuse and seeing if that disables the horn alarm without having it constantly complaining at me.

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
Most of my alar mishaps was because of that feature. I keep the car in the garage and sometimes leave the window open. When you pass by the car the alarm trips. When PaaK works half way and allows you to open the car but somehow does not detect as a key, I got the alarm going off and had to type the password to make it stop. Itā€™s a good feature but needs to extra programming. Like, if Windows are down, disable it when auto locking. Of if someone is in the car (all seats have pressure sensor) also turn that feature off (they might need to figure something for car seat).

Finkerton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag
Most of my alar mishaps was because of that feature. I keep the car in the garage and sometimes leave the window open. When you pass by the car the alarm trips. When PaaK works half way and allows you to open the car but somehow does not detect as a key, I got the alarm going off and had to type the password to make it stop. Itā€™s a good feature but needs to extra programming. Like, if Windows are down, disable it when auto locking. Of if someone is in the car (all seats have pressure sensor) also turn that feature off (they might need to figure something for car seat).
Right, that happens all the time. I get in the car, then it loses the key connection, and the alarm trips. Or in some cases the key connection lasts long enough to unlock the door, and by the time I open it it's lost it.

It turns out there is a recall around PaaK...
Sponsored