SebastienMachE

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Journey
Country flag
Just listened to some tv shows showing how easy it is nowadays to steal keyless cars, thru the ODBII port. Does anyone knows what specific measures are in place in the Mach-e?

Sherlock now has a product to protect the ODBII port from connecting to it. http://www.sherlock.ca/en/sherlock-53/

What else can we do to make it harder for thiefs?
Sponsored

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Just listened to some tv shows showing how easy it is nowadays to steal keyless cars, thru the ODBII port. Does anyone knows what specific measures are in place in the Mach-e?

Sherlock now has a product to protect the ODBII port from connecting to it. http://www.sherlock.ca/en/sherlock-53/

Great post.
More I didn't know but will keep it in mind when I get the M-E.
And I just can't help but think of deceased rapper
"'Ol Dirty Bastard" who died in 2004 when I read ODBII port. Lol.
Bookmarked this post for later!

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag

To me, it sounds like fearmongering to sell a product. In order to get to the ODB port they are already inside your vehicle. At that point you're screwed. And keyless cars have been vulnerable for many years.

The car has a built-in alarm and motion sensor inside the vehicle. On top of that you should be able to locate the vehicle in the Ford Pass app.

s7davis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo
Country flag
It is a SCAM for these electric cars as they have several built in safety measures to keep that from happening. I am not saying it can not be done but however, Their are safety features built into these cars to prevent such things happening and even if they did they are built in with GPS so they can be tracked via phone, Ford, and so on so your vehicle is safe.

Once you pair your phone to your car all you need to do is create the safety PIN so setting can not be changed without it. This will include not being able to delete phone pairs to the car even if it was stolen. This way you will always know the location of said Mach-E. Then call the Police let them know location and you can call Ford and the Service Dept. or someone might be able to Disable the car remotely so it can not move once it has been flagged as a stolen car. Then once you get car back notify ford and then they can unlock the car back so it is operational.

MAybe this is a lot of wishful thinking on my part.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I've been thinking about car prowlers. I will not be leaving anything valuable in the Frunk until I test it. I will try to open it when the battery is NOT dead. Hopefully, it doesn't open using the bypass unless the 12v is dead.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag

Don't leave the doors unlocked! BTW, it is spelled "thieves" not "thiefs".

Edit: Seriously, add devices that makes the car unattractive for stealing. My Fusion Hybrid has a keyed steering bar that makes the car unable to steer, and I lock it in with the wheels turned in, and not straight ahead.

Last edited:

RunningHorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
Theft will be practically impossible, cybersecurity and CAN message encryption was a big part of of FNV2 architecture vehicles. Also I don't think the OB2 is easily accessible (if it all) and the vehicle can be easily tracked down with gps worst case.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SebastienMachE

SebastienMachE

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Journey
Country flag

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I think a BEV is pretty much anti theft as it is. Would take a pretty stupid person to try and steal an electric car. Even if they get it turned on, they will only go so far and can be located quite easily.

But.....if you really want some protection.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Theft will be practically impossible, cybersecurity and CAN message encryption was a big of FNV2 architecture vehicles. Also I don't think the OB2 is easily accessible and the vehicle has can be tracked down with gps worst case.
Funny you should mention that. I'd been wondering if the OBD-II diagnostic connector would be present. I think it's not technically required since there are no emissions.

How is it accessed on this car?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Funny you should mention that. I'd been wondering if the OBD-II diagnostic connector would be present. I think it's not technically required since there are no emissions.

How is it accessed on this car?
Good question. No mention of an OBD-II in the manuals.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag