Any Canadian's having issues with Bell connected car services?

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
The Mach-E as sold in Canada comes with a 3GB complimentary free wifi Hotspot data plan through AT&T which is attached to the vehicles internal modem.

For Canadians after this free trial period expires, the AT&T account attached to the car forwards you to Bell.ca where you are then prompted to create a "connected car" account and chose a data plan.

I've gone through this, created my account, selected a plan and the account is now active, but the MME is unable to actually get online.

I have an android device attached to the MME infotainment system, and any page I try to browse to automatically takes me to a Mybell.bell.ca/ConnectedCar/BellCoverageUnavailable landing page that basically says "oops" "an error occurred".

Folks at Bell actually contacted me several times proactively without me engaging them, because they noticed the account failed to activate the first time I tried to transfer services from AT&T to Bell. They deleted the account and asked me to re-create it (which I did successfully), but still no internet is available through the vehicle.

I've contacted Bell, and everyone I speak to over there seems clueless.

So I'm wondering if this is an isolated incident, or are other Canadian MME owners having issues having their vehicle data plans transferred from AT&T to Bell, with successfully working data connection after the switch?

The connected data plan and vehicle wifi Hotspot worked flawlessly through AT&T, but haven't been able to get it to work after being forced to switch it to Bell after the complimentary 3GB was used up.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Any Canadian's having issues with Bell connected car services? 20210506_094739

If I go to the Vehicle Hotspot settings page and click on Data Usage, it tells me that there is "no active vehicle Hotspot data plan"

So I'm trying to determine if this is a Mach-E issue, or is this a Bell issue, or both?

If any Canadians have used up their complimentary data plan through AT&T and have successfully transferred to Bell and now have a working data plan, please chime in here and let me know.

20210506_102306.jpg

Last edited:

Martbilodeau

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Ranger
Country flag
For my part, I am staying with AT&T. After my free 3Gb, I called them to take out a subscription. The advantage: no roaming charges if you are going to the US. What you will pay if you transfer with Bell.

Qbgolfer

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Mach E Grabber Blue,2021
Occupation
Retired Dentist
Country flag
For my part, I am staying with AT&T. After my free 3Gb, I called them to take out a subscription. The advantage: no roaming charges if you are going to the US. What you will pay if you transfer with Bell.
Fellow Canadian here. A couple of simple questions for you. If I have my Android phone plugged in to the car, can I then use it on the cars hotspot to use Android auto? Can you use it in Canada as well as the USA with no roaming charges? It would seem like a perfect answer for travelling to Palm Springs this fall and winter.
We have had our Mach-e for almost 6 months now and absolutely no problems!! really love the car.

Martbilodeau

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Ranger
Country flag
Fellow Canadian here. A couple of simple questions for you. If I have my Android phone plugged in to the car, can I then use it on the cars hotspot to use Android auto? Can you use it in Canada as well as the USA with no roaming charges? It would seem like a perfect answer for travelling to Palm Springs this fall and winter.
We have had our Mach-e for almost 6 months now and absolutely no problems!! really love the car.
Hello! In my opinion, if you are with AT & T, the answer is yes. With Bell, no. Roaming costs with Bell apply as soon as you go out of Canada. I suggest calling your phone company to validate with them.

OP
OP
DaMeatMan

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
I am having same issue with my Ford. Has anyone found a fix?
I responded to your PM, however for others watching this thread although I eventually got it resolved with Bell I would advise to not even bother.

The connected vehicle data plans on Bell are absolutely absurd, with like 4 or 5GB costing like $50 if I recall correctly. Whereas a cell phone data plan on the very same carrier costs like $80 for 50GB, which is a much better price but is still too expensive.

Bottom line, the wifi Hotspot and a data plan for the car is not needed for any of the Ford connected services like over the air updates, remote start, unlock, etc... so if you need to share internet with other devices in the car like your kids tablet or a media device, just use your cell phone as a wifi Hotspot. It's much cheaper, and avoids the cost of a second data plan which is redundant and overly expensive for what it is.

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
Wireless Android Auto and the hotspot cannot be used at the same time on the same phone. The only option if you wanna use the hot spot is to go to wired Android Auto

nashbrydges

First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT performance
Country flag
Sorry for necro-posting but I have a question. It was my understanding that AT&T would not accepts a Canadian subscriber but by the sounds of it, you have managed to remain on AT&T after your complimentary period? Can you tell me how you did that? I would much prefer staying with AT&T especially because of no roaming and pricing is soooo much more reasonable than Bell.
Sponsored