Any chance of a metal replacement (mod) for the volume knob?

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I really like the volume knob, and I hope that Ford extends its application to uses like climate control. It's one of those defining details that people immediately notice in the Mach-E's interior. What I don't like is how cheap the plastic feels. Do you think the silver outer ring is replaceable? Imagine a knurled aluminum knob. I'd pay some money for that!
Sponsored

Mauser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-e GT-PE Space White
Country flag
I'd be interested in something with a little more weight, and d-tent effect when turning. I'm sure just being stuck on the screen, you could (very carefully) pull it and replace it. Maybe someone will come up with something machine-milled with some more substance?

Last edited:
OP
OP

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I'd be interested in something with a little more weight, and d-tent effect when turning. I'm sure just being stuck on the screen, you could pull it and replace it. Maybe someone will come up with something machine-milled with some more substance?
Exactly what I was thinking! This would be a really nice improvement.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I really like the volume knob, and I hope that Ford extends its application to uses like climate control. It's one of those defining details that people immediately notice in the Mach-E's interior. What I don't like is how cheap the plastic feels. Do you think the silver outer ring is replaceable? Imagine a knurled aluminum knob. I'd pay some money for that!
Hey Aaron, I know exactly what you mean and what you are after. Unfortunately it can be expensive to design and manufacture something like this. There might not be enough sales to cover the costs.

I had this done for the gear shift knob (crown, cap) in my GT500. That knob is similar to the Mach-E and you know how cheesy that feels. I don't mind it as much in the Mach-E but interior of my GT500 is much nicer and more upscale and the chrome shifter knob just looked out of place.

I contacted Kevin at 5 Spurs (in Europe) and he set out designing an aluminum knurled knob (crown, cap, cover, etc) for the GT500. After about 6 months working with Kevin on measurements and photos and him sending me prototypes to fit, he came up with a great product. He needed to sell at least 50 of them in order to cover his costs. I promoted this item on the GT500 forum and we were able to get the 50 orders needed. They cost $199 each and are available in different colors. I bought satin black for my GT500. It really has a great feel to it and makes the interior that much more upscale.

I thought about contacting Kevin do the same for the Mach-E both on the volume control and gear shifter dial but not sure if enough people would want these to cover the costs.
https://5spurs.com/store/usa/2020-to-2021-Shelby-GT500-Shifter-Crown-p178162259

Ford Mustang Mach-E Any chance of a metal replacement (mod) for the volume knob? NZ7_4710500

Ford Mustang Mach-E Any chance of a metal replacement (mod) for the volume knob? NZ7_53211900

Ford Mustang Mach-E Any chance of a metal replacement (mod) for the volume knob? NZ7_4757500D

Last edited:

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I could get an accurate 3D scan and 3D print prototypes and local machine shop to mill an aluminum version of the knobs pretty easily. Not sure what it would cost for a metal version. Also, if Iā€™m being honest, Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m willing to put the effort in to making it happen šŸ˜… but I would consider it.

@markboris that looks fantastic on the GT500!

OP
OP

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Hey Aaron, I know exactly what you mean and what you are after. Unfortunately it's quite expensive to design and manufacture something like this. I kind of doubt there would be enough sales to cover the costs.

I had this exact thing done for the gear shift knob (crown, cap) in my GT500. That knob is basically the same as in the Mach-E and you know how cheesy that feels. While I don't mind it in the Mach-E, the interior of my GT500 is much nicer and more upscale and the chrome shifter knob just looked out of place.

I contacted Kevin at 5 Spurs (in Europe) and we set out designing an aluminum knurled knob (crown, cap, cover, etc) for the GT500. After about 6 months of me sending Kevin measurements and photos and him sending me prototypes to fit, he came up with a great product. He needed to sell at least 50 of them in order to cover his costs. I promoted this item on the GT500 forum and we had no problem getting over 50 orders. They cost $199 each and are available in different colors. The prototypes I had where gloss black but I ended up buying the satin black for my car. It really has a great feel to it and makes the interior that much more upscale.

I thought about having Kevin do the same for the Mach-E both on the volume control and gear shifter dial but for this car don't think it is worth it or necessary. However, that's just my opinion.
https://5spurs.com/store/usa/2020-to-2021-Shelby-GT500-Shifter-Crown-p178162259

Ford Mustang Mach-E Any chance of a metal replacement (mod) for the volume knob? NZ7_4757500D

Wow, that is so cool! I think it looks amazing, and I'd buy that upgrade for $200. Though admittedly that's probably about the top of what I'd spend to solve this problem. Anyway, this is great information. Hmmmmm......

Btw, is it safe to say that custom metal knob wouldn't be a direct replacement for the MME transmission knob (outer ring)? I'd also love to replace that, but I didn't want to over-complicate this thread.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Keep in mind that the knob is stuck on with peel 'n stick tape and a prayer. Over time and 130* interiors I'd be wary of adding any weight.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I could get an accurate 3D scan and 3D print prototypes and local machine shop to mill an aluminum version of the knobs pretty easily. Not sure what it would cost for a metal version. Also, if Iā€™m being honest, Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m willing to put the effort in to making it happen šŸ˜… but I would consider it.

@markboris that looks fantastic on the GT500!
Isnā€™t aluminum a metal?

OP
OP

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Keep in mind that the knob is stuck on with peel 'n stick tape and a prayer. Over time and 130* interiors I'd be wary of adding any weight.
Yeah, I was thinking about that. I would bet an aluminum ring to replace the silver plastic ring would be safe from a weight perspective. It would be nice to have something "heavy weight" feeling, but most important for me is any material that doesn't feel like the cheapest plastic you can buy.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
When I read some of these threads, I realize how I'm in a totally different world than some. Shows why when a company like Ford adds a feature, we're so divided on the benefit / lack of benefit of that feature. To each their own!

OP
OP

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
When I read some of these threads, I realize how I'm in a totally different world than some. Shows why when a company like Ford adds a feature, we're so divided on the benefit / lack of benefit of that feature. To each their own!
Yeah, that's fair. I really appreciate the MME's interior and the design that went into it. So for me the volume knob is just something that really sticks out. It's unique and draws attention, but it's very cheap feeling. That said, I totally understand why other people wouldn't give this a second thought. We all appreciate different things :)

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, that's fair. I really appreciate the MME's interior and the design that went into it. So for me the volume knob is just something that really sticks out. It's unique and draws attention, but it's very cheap feeling. That said, I totally understand why other people wouldn't give this a second thought. We all appreciate different things :)
I didn't say the black one didn't look nice, it does. But not worth anywhere near $200 to me. But I get why some people would pay that.

Av8tor

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag
I think it all depends on what you Had prior to the MME. Example, My Ford Fusion Hybrid's shifter feels very solid, using metals for it's outer ring. When you use the MME, it feels like plastic, like you could break it. I understand they were trying to reduce cost and most importantly weight. but for something you touch every time you drive, you notice what you had. Over time, I'm sure this will go away.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Could this be a job for @AOSK?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think it all depends on what you Had prior to the MME. Example, My Ford Fusion Hybrid's shifter feels very solid, using metals for it's outer ring. When you use the MME, it feels like plastic, like you could break it. I understand they were trying to reduce cost and most importantly weight. but for something you touch every time you drive, you notice what you had. Over time, I'm sure this will go away.
Funny. We had the Fusion Energi (2018) and it seems the same to us.
Sponsored