Any chance of a metal replacement (mod) for the volume knob?

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I could get an accurate 3D scan and 3D print prototypes and local machine shop to mill an aluminum version of the knobs pretty easily. Not sure what it would cost for a metal version. Also, if I’m being honest, I’m not sure I’m willing to put the effort in to making it happen 😅 but I would consider it.

@markboris that looks fantastic on the GT500!
Hi Tanner, that is how Kevin got this going was with a 3D scan and print but since it is a cover to go over the OEM knob, and it is not removable, he needed to make adjustments. It has to be a certain thickness so as not to interfere with the surrounding console trim that is around it and also to still allow the soft glow of light that is under the dial to bee seen and not covered up.

Thanks for the complement on the 500. That car isn't going anywhere until I'm gone. 😊

Wow, that is so cool! I think it looks amazing, and I'd buy that upgrade for $200. Though admittedly that's probably about the top of what I'd spend to solve this problem. Anyway, this is great information. Hmmmmm......

Btw, is it safe to say that custom metal knob wouldn't be a direct replacement for the MME transmission knob (outer ring)? I'd also love to replace that, but I didn't want to over-complicate this thread.
Aaron, not sure if the GT500 version would fit on the Mach-E gear shifter knob but I will check that out with one of the prototypes on Sunday when I return home. I don't think it will so I never really considered it. By the way, the knob on those gear shift controller is NOT removable. It is part of the entire assembly. I purchased an extra controller just to try to take it apart when working on the GT500 project and it cannot be done without breaking/ruining the controller.

Keep in mind that the knob is stuck on with peel 'n stick tape and a prayer. Over time and 130* interiors I'd be wary of adding any weight.
Yes that is correct. The aluminum knob is held on with 3m double stick tape. It is a very snug fit and the tape is there as a backup. I have had this cover on my gear shift knob for about two years and with several 112˚ exterior summer temps we get, it has been hotter than 130˚ in the car for sure. Over 100 of these have been sold now and to date, there hasn't been any complaints of them coming loose as far as I know. If I ever did have a problem, I would glue or epoxy it on.

I would bet an aluminum ring to replace the silver plastic ring would be safe from a weight perspective. It would be nice to have something "heavy weight" feeling, but most important for me is any material that doesn't feel like the cheapest plastic you can buy.
Kevin designed this cover exactly like the one that is on the Ford GT. It has such a great feel to it compared to the slippery plastic OEM knob. It's cold in the winter and warm in the summer but overall much better feeling when using it. It is a heavy little sucker even though it is aluminum and with the weight on the OEM knob and the 3M tape, it's not going anywhere.

AOSK

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E select
Country flag
Could this be a job for @AOSK?
If we make one, we might make a direct cover with tape instead of a replacement.
is this demanded? we could give it a try if enough demand tho. and what kinds of color do we need?

what @markboris said is exactly what it is when we are making these types of products.

This type of product when the quantity is large enough, its not expensive. but if the quantity is too small, the cost becomes very high.

and when our machine run, we usually make at least 1000 of them.

Last edited:

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If we make one, we might make a direct cover with tape instead of a replacement.
is this demanded? we could give it a try if enough demand tho. and what kinds of color do we need?
Hi Zac, I'm fairly sure it would have to be a cover. The knob for the volume on the sync display is not available as a separate part and I'm not too sure how it would come off and not going to try to remove it. Everyone will have thier personal preference on a color but I would choose satin black for my color.

AOSK

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E select
Country flag
Hi Zac, I'm fairly sure it would have to be a cover. The knob for the volume on the sync display is not available as a separate part and I'm not too sure how it would come off and not going to try to remove it. Everyone will have thier personal preference on a color but I would choose satin black for my color.
I will try to design one. but I am not sure if we are going to make one. since we usually make at least 1000 pieces for these small items, I will see if these are demanded

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I will try to design one. but I am not sure if we are going to make one. since we usually make at least 1000 pieces for these small items, I will see if these are demanded
I understand. Like I said earlier when I was working with Kevin from 5 Spurs, he needed to have at least 50 people before it was profitable to make his cover for the gear shifter dial but then his is aluminum and not sure what material yours would be made out of.

Last edited:
OP
OP

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Wow, this is really cool. Thanks for all of the information and feedback! And I completely understand that it wouldn't make sense to make any of these without sufficient demand. I would commit to buying one, so I guess we just need 999 more people :)

Aaron, not sure if the GT500 version would fit on the Mach-E gear shifter knob but I will check that out with one of the prototypes on Sunday when I return home. I don't think it will so I never really considered it. By the way, the knob on those gear shift controller is NOT removable. It is part of the entire assembly. I purchased an extra controller just to try to take it apart when working on the GT500 project and it cannot be done without breaking/ruining the controller.
Thanks! I wouldn't expect it to fit, but they do look kind of similar (at least to my eyes) so maybe worth a shot if it's easy.

I never would have guessed by your photos that the custom knob was assembled on top of the complete factory part. It looks perfect, and it's exactly what I'd love to have in my MME (including satin black color)!

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
so, my team sent me this. Is this what OP has in mind? which one is better?
431659335672_.pic.jpg

441659335673_.pic.jpg
That looks promising. I personally like the bottom one so it covers the entire plastic looking chrome knob. Now, make a matching one for the gear shift knob too and you will have a customer. Would like it in satin black.

OP
OP

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Any chance of a metal replacement (mod) for the volume knob? 441659335673_.pic

Ford Mustang Mach-E Any chance of a metal replacement (mod) for the volume knob? 441659335673_.pic
Wow, that is so cool! I tend to agree with Mark that the bottom design might be better. It would result in a simpler full-metal knob (in appearance), which IMHO would have a more premium look compared to a metal outer ring with a piano-black plastic inner. That said, either design would be a big upgrade IMHO.

Speaking of the bottom design, the only thing I'd consider is trying to keep the inner ring surface to be as thin as possible so as not to obscure that small portion of the touchscreen (any more than needed). I'm personally not as concerned about the outer ring surface. In fact, it might be nicer to the touch if that one has a bit of thickness.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just got back from out of town and found one of the prototypes from the GT500 gear shift knob I had. It's plastic where as the finished product is aluminum but it does fit on the Mach-E gear shift knob. It is about an 1/8" too large in diameter but If I were to line the OEM knob around the sides with 3M double stick tape it would fit nice and snug.

Of course, this does not help Aaron with his original request for a metal cover for the volume control knob but at least you can get the idea. This prototype cover is about 1/4" larger in diameter than the volume control knob so it would definitely need some spacers if it were to work and it would be more like the design of AOSK's top design.

NZ7_729424.jpg

NZ7_729524.jpg

Space Ghost GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GLE 450, space white GT received 11/04/22
Occupation
Nerd
Country flag
431659335672_.pic.jpg

441659335673_.pic.jpg
Please make this happen 🙂 also one for the shifter. It’d improve the ownership of the Mach e and help bring the interior to a nicer place. Satin black would be groovy

Last edited:

AOSK

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E select
Country flag
Please make this happen 🙂 also one for the shifter. It’d improve the ownership of the Mach e and help bring the interior to a nicer place. Satin black would be groovy
we printed some 3d sample, will test them out.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
I really like the volume knob, and I hope that Ford extends its application to uses like climate control. It's one of those defining details that people immediately notice in the Mach-E's interior. What I don't like is how cheap the plastic feels. Do you think the silver outer ring is replaceable? Imagine a knurled aluminum knob. I'd pay some money for that!
Titanium would look even more expensive :cool: