Any chance of a metal replacement (mod) for the volume knob?

Engelbert

First Name
Engelbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium XR AWD
Country flag
Sign me up for a satin black dial and gear shift knob combo @AOSK . Following this thread.
Same!

Not very interested in a headlight knob cover, as it is far less visible than the centrally located volume and shift knobs. The headlight knob is also in the least need of an upgrade IMO, as it's just a headlight switch (I know, wrong crowd to say anything in this car is "just" anything!). Once I set headlights to auto, the only time I touch it is when the car occasionally glitches to manual-on headlights and I need to reset the auto function. Maybe once every three months.

Clearly some others here feel differently, but for me - if I rarely touch it or look at it, and it isn't particularly visible either to me or to others in the vehicle -- I'm not interested. I think the "car-completionist" crowd would like a headlight knob cover, and there seem to be several of them on this forum for obvious reasons. Nothing wrong with that. Not sure what that means for overall sales, though, as a slice of customers for the volume and shift knobs won't like paying more for a set of 3 when only 2 are of interest.

Good thing we have @AOSK to figure these things out for us!

OP
OP

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Same!

Not very interested in a headlight knob cover, as it is far less visible than the centrally located volume and shift knobs. The headlight knob is also in the least need of an upgrade IMO, as it's just a headlight switch (I know, wrong crowd to say anything in this car is "just" anything!). Once I set headlights to auto, the only time I touch it is when the car occasionally glitches to manual-on headlights and I need to reset the auto function. Maybe once every three months.

Clearly some others here feel differently, but for me - if I rarely touch it or look at it, and it isn't particularly visible either to me or to others in the vehicle -- I'm not interested. I think the "car-completionist" crowd would like a headlight knob cover, and there seem to be several of them on this forum for obvious reasons. Nothing wrong with that. Not sure what that means for overall sales, though, as a slice of customers for the volume and shift knobs won't like paying more for a set of 3 when only 2 are of interest.

Good thing we have @AOSK to figure these things out for us!
I agree with these comments about the headlight knob. It doesn't bother me much. It's out of sight and I rarely have a reason to use it.

dmitry

First Name
dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
F150 lighting volume knob. Why ford made different textures?
Oh, crazy idea. If it possible to made knob kit done with this texture in Copper color to match rest of GT interior. I’m excited to hear a response from @AOSK.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Any chance of a metal replacement (mod) for the volume knob? 457D8E9C-8B0B-4040-BCBA-4EEE2B241CAA

gear
Ford Mustang Mach-E Any chance of a metal replacement (mod) for the volume knob? 709AE722-2CB5-49C3-9561-8EC07BCFE5F7

light
Ford Mustang Mach-E Any chance of a metal replacement (mod) for the volume knob? A6DC918C-83F4-4BB9-8D07-E88C05A9E9AB

Last edited:

Mike Curtis

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Acura RSX Type S, 2011 Honda Element AWD EX
Occupation
consultant and specialty camera operator
Country flag
I'm awaiting my MME (ordered February, being built next week, arrives...Oct? Nov?) - but what I recall from a 20 minute test drive - I loved the car overall, but the two twist rings (screen and gear change) were top of list for "Eww, this feels cheap/rental car" - same for the window up/down buttons. My context is a 2002 Acura RSX (original owner) and a 2011 Honda Element (original owner) - the switch gear feels tight and precise and sturdy (but not weighty). If they fixed the switch gear stuff that would be a huge boon to the perceived quality of the car. In the meantime, I'd gladly pay for metal replacements. I work in the professional camera world (video and stills) and have friends who make equipment - the costs are hideous. While you CAN mill them out one at a time, the per unit costs are very high, and getting molds made to mass produce requires hundreds if not thousands of orders to make cost viable.

AOSK

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E select
Country flag
I'm awaiting my MME (ordered February, being built next week, arrives...Oct? Nov?) - but what I recall from a 20 minute test drive - I loved the car overall, but the two twist rings (screen and gear change) were top of list for "Eww, this feels cheap/rental car" - same for the window up/down buttons. My context is a 2002 Acura RSX (original owner) and a 2011 Honda Element (original owner) - the switch gear feels tight and precise and sturdy (but not weighty). If they fixed the switch gear stuff that would be a huge boon to the perceived quality of the car. In the meantime, I'd gladly pay for metal replacements. I work in the professional camera world (video and stills) and have friends who make equipment - the costs are hideous. While you CAN mill them out one at a time, the per unit costs are very high, and getting molds made to mass produce requires hundreds if not thousands of orders to make cost viable.
Exactly, the cost is very high in making this item with aluminum. that's what makes us concerned. That's also why the company that @markboris mentioned earlier sells the piece at 199$.

we are still hesitating if we should make them at this point, because if we charge it too expensive, not many owners will buy them.

DadzBoyz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach-E GTPE (ordered), 20 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Software Systems Integrator
Country flag
@AOSK , I get it. This is, potentially, a unique, higher price point offering.

Not sure where compatibility with other models stands (Lightning, etc.) but if possible, that gives you a larger TAM (Total Available Market) and can scale.

Follow the Tesla, Rivian, Fiskar, etc. example. Finalize a design(s) and color(s), offer it to owners of all compatible models, and give them the option to place an order with a deposit.

You’ve done well with this group.
I think you’d have plenty of takers.

( @MK_E_4X copper tone/color idea, to match the stitching in the GT/GTPE models, is haunting me. It’s different, and seems like a good idea, but may require more thought… I think it works if there aren’t any other color metal/metal look knobs or accessories in the interior. I think all metal would need to be the same copper color, or none. hmmm 🤨)

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Exactly, the cost is very high in making this item with aluminum. that's what makes us concerned. That's also why the company that @markboris mentioned earlier sells the piece at 199$.

we are still hesitating if we should make them at this point, because if we charge it too expensive, not many owners will buy them.
I would get one but my limit for this would be $20.

Engelbert

First Name
Engelbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium XR AWD
Country flag
I would get one but my limit for this would be $20.
I'd probably pay more than $20, but if the price starts approaching three digits for a pair of knob covers, it would be a quick no-thanks from me too.

I think your hesitation is well founded, @AOSK. Given the careful thought that goes into launching plastic accessories like storage bins, phone holders, and tray organizers, this is another level of risk entirely. Even one failed high-cost product can be quite painful to absorb. And IMO, utilizing some other development/sales model beyond a simple design-launch-sell approach doesn't seem worth it for a couple of knobs.

Is there any middle ground? A metallized dense plastic which is durable enough to stand up to several years of daily use and feels considerably better than the stock knobs? That's really the goal, isn't it? Doesn't necessarily have to be a lightweight metal, if you ask me...

OP
OP

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I'd probably pay more than $20, but if the price starts approaching three digits for a pair of knob covers, it would be a quick no-thanks from me too.

I think your hesitation is well founded, @AOSK. Given the careful thought that goes into launching plastic accessories like storage bins, phone holders, and tray organizers, this is another level of risk entirely. Even one failed high-cost product can be quite painful to absorb. And IMO, utilizing some other development/sales model beyond a simple design-launch-sell approach doesn't seem worth it for a couple of knobs.

Is there any middle ground? A metallized dense plastic which is durable enough to stand up to several years of daily use and feels considerably better than the stock knobs? That's really the goal, isn't it? Doesn't necessarily have to be a lightweight metal, if you ask me...
Hey, cut it out, stop talking him out of it! ;)

Spark-E

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Computer Geek
Country flag
I would more than likely buy a set. It really would be price dependent.

AOSK

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E select
Country flag
A small update here, and we want to collect some opinions.
some owners mentioned that the one on Ford GT has more texture than our design, and we designed another version to do a comparison image.
let me know which one is the one to go!

And we might use zinc alloy on this product so that we can reduce the retail price of this item!

(sample below is 3d printed and paint)

original design

Ford Mustang Mach-E Any chance of a metal replacement (mod) for the volume knob? 00ff0f54d918debf3d0ece6e7507c38

Ford Mustang Mach-E Any chance of a metal replacement (mod) for the volume knob? 1ad5aa854296aaa45b9da55ac067889

Ford Mustang Mach-E Any chance of a metal replacement (mod) for the volume knob? add2866e2230aac62cef7a8f8583597

more texture
Ford Mustang Mach-E Any chance of a metal replacement (mod) for the volume knob? 1e1d791dfc21ad4471c7a6421855522

Ford Mustang Mach-E Any chance of a metal replacement (mod) for the volume knob? aa5c436a2a6e41dadf670a0cea2182d

Ford Mustang Mach-E Any chance of a metal replacement (mod) for the volume knob? f3ee692f2fbe9582b0bba57bdb8c03a

The Volume Knob

Original Design
Ford Mustang Mach-E Any chance of a metal replacement (mod) for the volume knob? 9e54a333ab909285af5f75c31cf9d92

Ford Mustang Mach-E Any chance of a metal replacement (mod) for the volume knob? 7c3d811a68e7b2e79dcda09bb18a30c

More Texture
Ford Mustang Mach-E Any chance of a metal replacement (mod) for the volume knob? af82f0e1a25fdefdf14a77c21122260

Ford Mustang Mach-E Any chance of a metal replacement (mod) for the volume knob? 3b30bec58afbe6d917b60758b9bf9cc

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Hmmm.

I say less texture as it makes it a bit more unique. The thing of it is the more texture is pretty nice also.

alockbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
If we make one, we might make a direct cover with tape instead of a replacement.
is this demanded? we could give it a try if enough demand tho. and what kinds of color do we need?

what @markboris said is exactly what it is when we are making these types of products.

This type of product when the quantity is large enough, its not expensive. but if the quantity is too small, the cost becomes very high.

and when our machine run, we usually make at least 1000 of them.
Yes I would buy it for sure, but I'd want the shifter and volume to match.
Sponsored