Any feedback / reviews of base radio?

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
Hi all. I was curious if anyone had had a chance to hear the radio in the base mach e. I'm confident the b&o radio will be solid, but I'm considering the California route 1 edition. It comes with a standard six speaker radio. My assumption is it's pretty ordinary, but some base units are better than others. If you've had a chance to try it out, I'd be curious to hear reactions. Also, if anyone has sat in and seen the seats in the route 1, I would enjoy hearing that info as well.
I am not an audiophile but have heard a lot of crappy sound in various cars over the years.
I sat in a Premium at a tour stop and cranked some of The Nightfly by Donald Fagen from my phone, I thought it sounded terrific.
Sponsored

Bookworm214

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Premium Mach-Ex
Occupation
Retired Truck Driver
Country flag
I am not an audiophile but have heard a lot of crappy sound in various cars over the years.
I sat in a Premium at a tour stop and cranked some of The Nightfly by Donald Fagen from my phone, I thought it sounded terrific.
Nice music choice!

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
ouch. has anyone had anything good to say about the B&O that has actually heard it? I didn't hear any comments about it on the many video reviews posted. I wish the new F150 "unleashed" system was available in the mach e. Even the regular Mustangs offer higher wattage B&O systems.
I am really into music and the quality of the B&O system was a concern. So, when I went to the road show, I brought my phone, connected it to the car via Android Auto (wireless) and spent 10 minutes listening to my own music via Spotify. I have to say that I was incredibly pleased.

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
Its funny how 95% of the reviewers didn't seem to even bother turning it on. That is pretty close to the first thing I do when I get into a car. I'm kinda spoiled with my B&W system, so I really have to temper my expectations here. I agree with the noise level of the car, but if the system doesn't have enough oomph to begin with, it will never really be capable when pressed. This B&O is a little li8ght on power. Also I've had high end systems that try the frame as sub woofer trick, and it isn't really great in comparison.
I think you will be pleased. I know I was.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I had a thought about this today: If the base radio doesn't have the subwoofer like the B&O system does will the piped in engine noise sound the same? Will it be missing that V8 roar and sound more like a 4 cylinder??? LOL

(Won't matter much for me as I'll likely be turning it off if the snippets of what I heard in the review videos are even close to what it sounds like--I think it sounds horrible.)

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Will it be missing that V8 roar
Not sure about the rest of your question but just as clarification, the artificial engine sound is not, strictly speaking a V-8 sound, there are a lot more sounds mixed in to come up with something unique that also provides the aural feedback we’re used to when accelerating.

A few of us are going to find out about the sound reasonably soon. Not me though. :)

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Not sure about the rest of your question but just as clarification, the artificial engine sound is not, strictly speaking a V-8 sound, there are a lot more sounds mixed in to come up with something unique that also provides the aural feedback we’re used to when accelerating.

A few of us are going to find out about the sound reasonably soon. Not me though. :)
Yeah I've heard it on a few of the revewer's video's its more like an auto-tuned V8 mixed with an 80s synth; trying to get the Jetsons sound without sounding like the Jetsons. I'll try to reserve judgement until I hear it in person but so far I'm not a fan.

Still, if they want some of that "feel" there are going to be a few bass notes in there which may not be as impactful without the B&O sound system.

ay221

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 Cayman GTS
Country flag
A shame the B&O isn't that fantastic from what I read here. Was hoping it wouldn't be too much of a downgrade in audio from my current car. My audio was a $4.7k upgrade. Wish the Mach E had something similar. I might wait for the Macan electric to come out. I will wait for more reviews as people receive their premium edition here.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I don't believe we've seen any true reviews of the audio, base or B&O. Even those folks on here that played with road show were ultimately doing a personal "this sounds good/great to me" kind of take.

this is driven by all kinds of things - what your personal expectations are, what are your sound sources (streaming music for the most part is garbage [Tidal makes a case that it's not as well as some iTunes stuff I guess], SXM is kind of garbage), etc.

I don't believe anyone has done a "drop a high quality sound track on USB and plug it in and play it while using equipment to measure the output" kind of review and I am not sure I'd hold my breath on seeing that.

But I do believe that right now saying that you're going to need an upgrade from either the base or the B&O is silly. You won't know until you have it and play from your sources and see what happens.

fwiw if I do any kind of review on mine when I have it, I'm going to do some audio from a USB stick (which I have in my Fusion today - I'm just going to copy all the data to another stick for the Mach-E) and see what it sounds like. I'm currently not worried. :)

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I don't believe we've seen any true reviews of the audio, base or B&O. Even those folks on here that played with road show were ultimately doing a personal "this sounds good/great to me" kind of take.

this is driven by all kinds of things - what your personal expectations are, what are your sound sources (streaming music for the most part is garbage [Tidal makes a case that it's not as well as some iTunes stuff I guess], SXM is kind of garbage), etc.

I don't believe anyone has done a "drop a high quality sound track on USB and plug it in and play it while using equipment to measure the output" kind of review and I am not sure I'd hold my breath on seeing that.

But I do believe that right now saying that you're going to need an upgrade from either the base or the B&O is silly. You won't know until you have it and play from your sources and see what happens.

fwiw if I do any kind of review on mine when I have it, I'm going to do some audio from a USB stick (which I have in my Fusion today - I'm just going to copy all the data to another stick for the Mach-E) and see what it sounds like. I'm currently not worried. :)
Here's a review of the standard sound system. (Not the B&O "upgrade.")

"Great sound system, blows away my expectations."​

What more does one need? ?

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
My current Edge has a B&O system in it. I'd say its on par, or a little better than the premium Sony system that Fords had until recently. Not amazing, but definitely better than most factory stereos.

The premium stereo is one of those options that I won't even consider a vehicle if it doesn't have it. But I still expect the base stereo to be at least a little better than past Ford base radios.

lotharik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, duh?
Country flag
B&O system sounds pretty good to me. It's not the best I've ever driven, but it's pretty nice. I especially like the sound at low volumes; you can still hear the music that's playing, while being able to hold a conversation.

Another thing to consider: The car is incredibly quiet, so you can actually hear it better than a system that may sound great in the showroom but is hard to hear on the road.

Jim D

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E - GT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The base 6 speaker sound system sounds mostly pretty good to me, I generally only listen to music off of a USB stick in wav (lossless) format. The bass is a little weak, and I am in discussions to add a subwoofer to make up for that deficit.
Sponsored