Any good EV Charging plans from TX electricity resllsers?

troublebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium EXT AWD, Infinite Blue
Occupation
Industrial Design & Mechanical Engineering
Country flag
I'm planning my Mach-E purchase and decided to look into electricity plans that will make charging at night cheaper. There are some variable rate/free nights & weekend plans that might help but their daytime rates are significantly higher than the flat kwh rate I'm paying now. I guess I'm still likely to save some money once I start charging overnight, but my wife works from home now so cranking up the temperature on the thermostat during work hours isn't really viable anymore.

I have a flat rate TXU plan now that's been okay (switched from Griddy in the hours right before Snowmageddon/Snowvid, thank god. Am paying about 30% more but at least I don't have to worry about $9/kwh rates during extreme weather), and they -say- they have an EV Pass add-on that halves the night-time rate but it doesn't appear to work with my current plan.

Has anyone found any rate plans that are clearly advantageous for EV charging without making the daytime rate absurdly high? I know we all _LOVE_ the deregulated grid and electricity resellers here in Texas, but trying to math-out all the different plans, factor in consumption levels, etc.,, is a pain in the ass.
Sponsored

ericNdfw

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ericsmalling.com
Vehicles
`21 MME Prem 4X w/GTPE wheels,`22 Hyundai Palisade
Occupation
Solutions Architect (software)
Country flag
Every time I've looked at those over the years, the "prime time" rate is so high that when I plug in a typical summer month worth of data into a spreadsheet (downloaded smart meter data), the time-based rate plans always end up more expensive than the flat rate would be for my usage patterns even without an EV charging.

NOTE: My EV charging needs are pretty minimal since I work from home.

OP
OP
troublebot

troublebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium EXT AWD, Infinite Blue
Occupation
Industrial Design & Mechanical Engineering
Country flag
Every time I've looked at those over the years, the "prime time" rate is so high that when I plug in a typical summer month worth of data into a spreadsheet (downloaded smart meter data), the time-based rate plans always end up more expensive than the flat rate would be for my usage patterns even without an EV charging.

NOTE: My EV charging needs are pretty minimal since I work from home.
That's the impression I get from just looking at the rates. Maybe if I was driving the Mach-E down to a low SoC every night and needing to charge up from sub-20% it would quickly make a difference but I'm currently averaging <20 miles a day since I live 5 miles from work and close to all the good stuff in Frisco.

I guess I could crank up the A/C overnight and get the temp down as low as possible and reduce my A/C usage early in the day but I'm not confident that'll help enough.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I think those programs only make sense if you can shift more than half of your total consumption to the off peak hours. So it would depend what % of your total monthly kWh are from EV charging.

Everyone should try to only charge between 10 PM and 8 AM even if they aren't incentivized, it helps keep the costs of electricity down and balances out the grid demand.

I'm sorry you have to live in a non-regulated power market, that pricing crap was insane in Feb. As someone from the north, I was shocked they could even allow residential customers to be on a volatile market rate plan, that just seems like a horrible idea! Market-rate should really only be for large industries that have operations centers to monitor and react to market pricing.

ericNdfw

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ericsmalling.com
Vehicles
`21 MME Prem 4X w/GTPE wheels,`22 Hyundai Palisade
Occupation
Solutions Architect (software)
Country flag
IEveryone should try to only charge between 10 PM and 8 AM even if they aren't incentivized, it helps keep the costs of electricity down and balances out the grid demand.
The MME’s loud fans pretty much force me to charge after midnight anyway so I’m doing that regardless of the benefits to the grid. ?

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I'm planning my Mach-E purchase and decided to look into electricity plans that will make charging at night cheaper. There are some variable rate/free nights & weekend plans that might help but their daytime rates are significantly higher than the flat kwh rate I'm paying now. I guess I'm still likely to save some money once I start charging overnight, but my wife works from home now so cranking up the temperature on the thermostat during work hours isn't really viable anymore.

I have a flat rate TXU plan now that's been okay (switched from Griddy in the hours right before Snowmageddon/Snowvid, thank god. Am paying about 30% more but at least I don't have to worry about $9/kwh rates during extreme weather), and they -say- they have an EV Pass add-on that halves the night-time rate but it doesn't appear to work with my current plan.

Has anyone found any rate plans that are clearly advantageous for EV charging without making the daytime rate absurdly high? I know we all _LOVE_ the deregulated grid and electricity resellers here in Texas, but trying to math-out all the different plans, factor in consumption levels, etc.,, is a pain in the ass.
Look into this one:
https://www.mp2energy.com/residential-electric-vehicle/

My contract with Green Mountain is almost up, so I am looking into this one. It saves on my normal fixed rate and gives me the 3 hour window from midnight to 3 am to charge either EV.

Also, if you have a smart meter, go to https://www.smartmetertexas.com/ create an account and you can download your usage over past periods. They also have an API that is accessible but I have not messed around writing an application to utilize it. With the variety of plans, it is very difficult to compare what is best without knowing usage patterns. Free nights or free weekends are great, but if you WFH, the A/C and heating is used more during the week daytime and negates the free periods some.
Sponsored