Any idea on Hail Tolerance of MME Panoramic Glass Roof?

Mach_Enrique

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting; 2021 Mach E GT;2018 Subaru WRX STI
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Good Day Awesome Forum Peeps!

As I patiently wait for the GT order bank to open and keep up on everyone's experiences getting cars now, I continue to ponder: Glass roof or no glass roof?

I live in Colorado and we get hail on the front range from time to time with our intense thunderstorms. Usually pea size stuff but every now and then we get bigger hail. This got me wondering: Does anyone have any idea of the hail tolerance of the glass roof on the MME?

Said better: Any idea what size hail it will take to shatter the roof? The usual damage point out here seems to be if you get nailed with hail approaching golf ball size. I watched many a sunroof shatter or crack from golf ball size hail back in 2017 when hail decimated our parking lot where I work. Marble size may make some small dents but usually won't damage glass. Golfball and up you are usually doomed with a likely total or super expensive repairs.

Given the giant size of the glass roof on the MME, I am wondering what size hail will shatter or crack the roof (allowing water damage in the car). It's a long shot anyone would have any idea but thought I would ask.

Thanks!!
Sponsored

Colorado Native

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 BMW 530xi, 2005 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
I live in Colorado and we get hail on the front range from time to time with our intense thunderstorms...
Howdy fellow Coloradan!

FWIW, I see the glass roof as an advantage in this regard. Just like a windshield, it either survived or has been cracked/shattered. If the latter, then a complete replacement is in order.

None of this "Humm, those dimples aren't so bad, you should live with them."

lweisenthal

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
weisenthalcancer.com
Vehicles
MME Premium; RWD; std range; Chevy Volt 2.0
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Howdy fellow Coloradan!

FWIW, I see the glass roof as an advantage in this regard. Just like a windshield, it either survived or has been cracked/shattered. If the latter, then a complete replacement is in order.

None of this "Humm, those dimples aren't so bad, you should live with them."
For my daughter's wedding, in the Highlands Ranch area south of Denver, a few years back, I got a brand new car as an airport rental. Declined the extra insurance coverage. Drove it to hotel, next morning there had been a hail storm and all the metal on the car was horribly pitted, like the car version of permanent acne scars.

I read where a lot of car renters that night had to pay out of pocket toward repairs. The agent who accepted my car at the airport return just shook his head forlornly ... I got the idea I was about the 100th case and he was just tired of being on receiving end of indignant incoming. I just shuddered to think of all the car dealers with all their open lot inventory.

Larry Weisenthal/Huntington Beach

PCPilot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, FE
Country flag
That will never be a thing for me because if there is a .01 % or greater chance of hail, it's going under shelter.

MightyJawa

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt
Country flag
That will never be a thing for me because if there is a .01 % or greater chance of hail, it's going under shelter.
I got caught in 2 different hailstorms during rush hour back a couple of years ago driving to McKinney from Dallas. So sickening to watch the storm rolling in and being stuck in traffic on 75 with nowhere to go.
Sponsored