Any idea what IR thing is blinking when unlocked and sitting?

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I've noticed this for a while on my garage cam (messy garage in the process of moving toolboxes around), any idea what it is because it's pretty darn intense. Happens unlocked or locked.

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
That looks like the motion sensors by the rear view mirror on the ceiling plus the eye sensors. I would assume this is the security system.

Jim622

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e
Occupation
District service manager with 50 plus years in the field
Country flag
I don't know what it is, but mine does it too.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I've noticed this for a while on my garage cam (messy garage in the process of moving toolboxes around), any idea what it is because it's pretty darn intense. Happens unlocked or locked
...MME 'waking up' in proximity to your phone most likely. I usually turn off either my Bluetooth, or FordPass, when I am home going in and out of the garge but not planning to drive so the car doesn't wake up every time I walk by.

hartmms

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500, Mach-e GT-PE
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
I'm curious why those IR LEDs are active at all unless handsfree blue cruise is enabled. Does this mean the eye tracking camera is also active the entire time? Is Ford collecting attentiveness data from everyone even when BC is off? I hope not. If they did, I could see this data being subpoenaed by court cases to prove fault in accidents.

I read the owners manual and it's rather vague. "We collect data like...". How about you give users a complete list of what is recorded?

OP
OP
azerik

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Thatโ€™s kind of what Iโ€™m thinking. Why are the why cameras on when the car is it even running and Iโ€™m not even within three bedrooms of it. And why does it do it when itโ€™s charging?

hartmms

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500, Mach-e GT-PE
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Perhaps they just didn't want to add that extra if conditional on the IR LEDs, or they didn't want to spend the $0.01 extra for a MOSFET to turn them off.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I've noticed this for a while on my garage cam (messy garage in the process of moving toolboxes around), any idea what it is because it's pretty darn intense. Happens unlocked or locked.
Basically the IR LEDs come on any time the car is woken up. In your garage it could be from charging or walking around with your phone or fob. Basically when the car wakes up, all the modules on the network do too, even if they aren't needed. That's just a byproduct of the legacy module architecture, they can't selectively wake up individual modules yet.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Totally unrelated... Why is your camera positioned so that it's primarily pointing at the garage door and at a strange angle?

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Totally unrelated... Why is your camera positioned so that it's primarily pointing at the garage door and at a strange angle?
Maybe Erik pointed it away so we wouldn't see what else is in his garage?

Spacey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
The strange angle is a consequence of the wide angle lens used in the camera. That's why the vertical elements of the picture are at a slant. To get a wide coverage at a close distance wide angle lenses have to be used with a degradation of actual picture accuracy. Of course the film industry uses wide angle lenses for specific situations with no optical innaccuracies (unless they want them to for effect) and these lenses cost many thousands of (insert currency here)
Sponsored