Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E350
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Better than the camo wrap, and nothing preventing anyone from doing whatever color wrap they want, so why not?
By using a wrap during the reveal, Ford Europe‘s unsaid message is that the color offerings for the Mach E are poor. Fortunately, my wife and I like the red color option for the Mach E, but given the opportunity without having to spend thousands of dollars on a wrap I would like the satin blue.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I am not a marketing expert, but why would any car manufacture debut a car in a major market in a color it has no intention of selling?
THAT is an extremely good question

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Edez ME said:
I am not a marketing expert, but why would any car manufacture debut a car in a major market in a color it has no intention of selling?

THAT is an extremely good question
Did you all not see the reaction on this forum (and the internet in general) when the Satin Blue Mach-E photos were posted??? Remember the excitement and energy around that post? How many discussions were generated? How many web searches were generated? It's all about generating buzz for the Mach-E. Marketing genius move if you ask me.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
By using a wrap during the reveal, Ford Europe‘s unsaid message is that the color offerings for the Mach E are poor. Fortunately, my wife and I like the red color option for the Mach E, but given the opportunity without having to spend thousands of dollars on a wrap I would like the satin blue.
My guess is it was a last minute decision to use that car at the show and needed to wrap it with something because it was a test car. Probably the closest thing they could get on short notice.

Obviously pure speculation.

I've also heard that taking care of satin cars are a lot harder than glossy ones.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Did you all not see the reaction on this forum (and the internet in general) when the Satin Blue Mach-E photos were posted??? Remember the excitement and energy around that post? How many discussions were generated? How many web searches were generated? It's all about generating buzz for the Mach-E. Marketing genius move if you ask me.
No, the genius move would be to offer that color instead of one of the 5 shades of gray - exactly for the reason that it generated the buzz of people WANTING THAT COLOR INSTEAD! Not offering a color that generated that much buzz is just plain dumb.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
No, the genius move would be to offer that color instead of one of the 5 shades of gray - exactly for the reason that it generated the buzz of people WANTING THAT COLOR INSTEAD! Not offering a color that generated that much buzz is just plain dumb.
When I seen it, it looked rather similar to grabber blue in different lighting.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It is clear that the engineers have done a hell of a job with this car and I have no doubt it will be a good one mechanically. However, that may not translate into commercial success, and the fault will lie with the "suits" not being able to measure up to what the engineers have done.

JSAlexVa

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
My guess is it was a last minute decision to use that car at the show and needed to wrap it with something because it was a test car. Probably the closest thing they could get on short notice.

Obviously pure speculation.

I've also heard that taking care of satin cars are a lot harder than glossy ones.
That’s prob a good assumption given the car was used mostly for test drives. Probably one of those multicolor mules that have been photographed during road tests.

srogers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Mach E, Premium, 2021
Country flag
That’s prob a good assumption given the car was used mostly for test drives. Probably one of those multicolor mules that have been photographed during road tests.
You are correct. At the time stamp 7:27 the driver explains that the car is a prototype that was dressed up to demonstrate the car.

Edez ME

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E350
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I’ll reserve final judgement until it’s my time to change my reservation to an order but I find it hard to believe that a multinational company with revenues of $156B in 2019 would not have a better plan than to have a last minute prototype for a major debut as well as decide at the 11th hour to put a blue satin wrap on a car that doesn’t reflect the product you plan to sell.

Last edited:

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I’ll reserve final judgement until it’s my time to change my reservation to an order but I find it hard to believe that a multinational company with revenues of $156B in 2019 would not have a better plan than to have a last minute prototype for a major debut as well as decide at the 11th hour to put a blue satin wrap on a car that doesn’t reflect the product you plan to sell.
Doesn't matter how much revenue the company has. I've worked for a major corporation my entire adulthood. It's run by people. And sometimes those people don't make the best decisions. Or sometimes there are extenuating circumstances, regulations, red tape, or other complexities that drive these sorts of decisions.

You could think of it another way, they are so large that you can think of Ford as a government. And each department/division/entity within Ford is its own business, with its own leader and budgets.

OP
OP
Wonky_Donkey

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
Doesn't matter how much revenue the company has. I've worked for a major corporation my entire adulthood. It's run by people. And sometimes those people don't make the best decisions. Or sometimes there are extenuating circumstances, regulations, red tape, or other complexities that drive these sorts of decisions.
My take on this wrapped vehicle comes down to one thing - being road legal.

None of the Mach-E models on show London had registration plates on them. In reality they are pre-prod units for showing off and will be transported around on the back of a trailer. Nobody got to drive them or start them up - with the exception of the wrapped blue one.

The press release mentioned that they had been road testing a model to refine suspension and handling on European roads, and it’s mentioned in some of the YouTube vids as well. That work was probably going on well before launch, and as others have said they were probably using a multicoloured mule for that purpose.

So with London event looming they decide they want to give the press a joyride round Marble Arch, but the only vehicle registered and legal to be on the roads is a rough looking unit from Germany. Stick a wrap on it - job done. Gets used for 1 day -never to be seen again.

Why else use a car with German plates in London?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
My take on this wrapped vehicle comes down to one thing - being road legal.

None of the Mach-E models on show London had registration plates on them. In reality they are pre-prod units for showing off and will be transported around on the back of a trailer. Nobody got to drive them or start them up - with the exception of the wrapped blue one.

The press release mentioned that they had been road testing a model to refine suspension and handling on European roads, and it’s mentioned in some of the YouTube vids as well. That work was probably going on well before launch, and as others have said they were probably using a multicoloured mule for that purpose.

So with London event looming they decide they want to give the press a joyride round Marble Arch, but the only vehicle registered and legal to be on the roads is a rough looking unit from Germany. Stick a wrap on it - job done. Gets used for 1 day -never to be seen again.

Why else use a car with German plates in London?
Eminently logical

Arjan

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
Could you ask what kind of suspention system it will be ? Hydrolic like ?
Sponsored