Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Yesterday I hooked my Viecar OBDII reader up in Marlin again. While it still was not working with their own Auto Doctor software, it did work with Car Scanner. Cool. All I did was check to see if it worked and connected and left testing to today. I left the Viecar plugged in over night. :)

This morning I had some errands to run, so I figured I would test Car Scanner and also see if I could get ABRP connected to the Viecar. I drove to my first stop, checked Car Scanner and saw it had not reconnected today, so I told it to reconnect. Immediately Marlin started lighting up with most of the warnings I remember including some about object detections, power warnings, and finally seek service soon, a wrench, and stop vehicle safely now. Of course, I was parked the whole time. ?

I promptly removed the Viecar reader and tried to restart. It would not recognize my phone. I decided to just turn Marlin off and let him settle down. When I came back a few minutes later, Marlin started fine (using PaaK), recognized my profile but was in Engage mode (although the Unbridled markings were on the Instrument Display, and he wouldn't change to Unbridled. After my next stop I tried Unbridled again with no luck but was able to switch to Whisper and then into Unbridled. Everything else settled back down fine. :rolleyes:

I'd like to get it working with ABRP but I'm a little scared of freaking Marlin out again since we have a long trip to make starting Sunday. I also know the sort of trouble folks have had getting bricked Mach Es back on the road ?

@dtbaker61: Did you run into anything like this with the Viecar?

I left my Viecar ODB2 plugged into the port for the last several months.... no problems. But I rarely 'connected' to CarScanner during that period.

I don't think I ever left CarScanner connected when I turned MME off.... maybe it needs to be 'disconnected' via the CarScanner interface to politely shut down all the ODB2 communication.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The SOC of the 12V battery should be around 90%, you can check it with Car Scanner, as well as days since battery reset (your battery was recently replaced by the dealer), and the level of parasitic drain (quiescent), here it is 30 mA:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-e-dead-again.12086/page-3#post-310520
Not a good example as it was certainly not at 90% when initially checked. It went up there only after started but was considerably lower when parked. Anybody else been monitoring this and seen 75% SOC on the 12V? Still would like to know what it is doing during "preparing for drive". I have seen it preparing to drive for over an hour but it only took 30 minutes to get the 12V up to 90%. It prepares at least twice a day and can not see it losing 15% due to drains in 12 hours. Can not figure out exactly what is going on yet or why it was sitting at only 75%.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yesterday I hooked my Viecar OBDII reader up in Marlin again. While it still was not working with their own Auto Doctor software, it did work with Car Scanner. Cool. All I did was check to see if it worked and connected and left testing to today. I left the Viecar plugged in over night. :)

This morning I had some errands to run, so I figured I would test Car Scanner and also see if I could get ABRP connected to the Viecar. I drove to my first stop, checked Car Scanner and saw it had not reconnected today, so I told it to reconnect. Immediately Marlin started lighting up with most of the warnings I remember including some about object detections, power warnings, and finally seek service soon, a wrench, and stop vehicle safely now. Of course, I was parked the whole time. ?

I promptly removed the Viecar reader and tried to restart. It would not recognize my phone. I decided to just turn Marlin off and let him settle down. When I came back a few minutes later, Marlin started fine (using PaaK), recognized my profile but was in Engage mode (although the Unbridled markings were on the Instrument Display, and he wouldn't change to Unbridled. After my next stop I tried Unbridled again with no luck but was able to switch to Whisper and then into Unbridled. Everything else settled back down fine. :rolleyes:

I'd like to get it working with ABRP but I'm a little scared of freaking Marlin out again since we have a long trip to make starting Sunday. I also know the sort of trouble folks have had getting bricked Mach Es back on the road ?

@dtbaker61: Did you run into anything like this with the Viecar?
Update: Having watched the little video I successfully connected ABRP to the Viecar OBDII reader.
Steps:
  1. Plugged in Viecar with Mach E turned off
  2. Started Mach E
  3. Opened ABRP and connected to OBD device per video
  4. Drove somewhere and had it navigate me home
The good news is ABRP had realtime SOC data -- not sure what else.
The bad news is ABRP is a horrible, although comedic, navigation software.
It should be fine for an alternative route planner (with chargers) to the Ford app, which is what I was after.

Fortunately, I didn't have any of the issues I had when I connected Car Scanner to the Viecar and had a Christmas Tree of warning lights and messages! I also didn't test Car Scanner.

Twilloo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Select AWD comfort/tech pkg
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
I left my Viecar ODB2 plugged into the port for the last several months.... no problems. But I rarely 'connected' to CarScanner during that period.

I don't think I ever left CarScanner connected when I turned MME off.... maybe it needs to be 'disconnected' via the CarScanner interface to politely shut down all the ODB2 communication.
I have car scanner and the icar obd2 ble 4.0 and have an android s21 ultra and I cannot get a connect. when I plug in obd2 in mmc it just shows a blue light for a second and then stays red. I cannot get any farther than that. I just turn the ignition on and off and it never shows up in my phone as a blue tooth device. Am I supposed t be seeing other lights other than just red.

Twilloo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Select AWD comfort/tech pkg
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
Update: Having watched the little video I successfully connected ABRP to the Viecar OBDII reader.
Steps:
  1. Plugged in Viecar with Mach E turned off
  2. Started Mach E
  3. Opened ABRP and connected to OBD device per video
  4. Drove somewhere and had it navigate me home
The good news is ABRP had realtime SOC data -- not sure what else.
The bad news is ABRP is a horrible, although comedic, navigation software.
It should be fine for an alternative route planner (with chargers) to the Ford app, which is what I was after.

Fortunately, I didn't have any of the issues I had when I connected Car Scanner to the Viecar and had a Christmas Tree of warning lights and messages! I also didn't test Car Scanner.
What lights am I supposed to have when I plug in my icar obd2 ble 4.0 scanner. I have car scanner but I cannot get anything connected in my mme's obd2. I plug in device and it just shows a red light and it neve shows up on my s21 ultra although it did show up once and I thought I was paired but it would not connect to car scanner and I just got a no connect message on car scanner. thanks
Sponsored