Any OBD-II app that works yet?

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Keep posting. The temperature value of the HVB pack while driving and charging is important data we all need.
Ditto. I'm curious what the battery packs are during L3 charging.

Or, if you have access to mountains, what increase in temps the pack sees during extended downhill driving.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
A little more detail on battery pack temp for those that are curious....

The BECM monitors temp sensors in the pack and returns an average value. If one or more sensors are out of range compared to the average value then a DTC is set. If three or more sensors are out of range then the malfunction illumination light will be activated.

The 3P pack has 6 sensors.
The 4p pack has 8 sensors.

JimmyMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
For now I'm ok with Car Scanner with the CMax profile. I would like to see the current in kW instead of Amps.
Car Scanner.jpg
So here is a simple trick to get HV Battery power in kW in Car Scanner Elm Obd2 app (and many other sensors in Mach-E):

Settings - Vehicle profile: select Ford C-Max Energi
[EDIT]: select new Mustang Mach-E profile

Settings - Sensors (Profile)
HV battery voltage / Role override: assign new role: EV_BatteryVoltage
HV Battery Current / Role override: assign new role: EV_BatteryCurrent

connect to the car, All Sensors will show Hybrid/EV Battery Power in kW, which can be selected in the dashboard.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...overheating-in-mach-e.7808/page-4#post-216938

Last edited:

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT 2023 Rivian R1S
Country flag
The holy grail here is to get some kind of dongle that can report specific PIDs up to a cloud service. There are Raspberry Pi based OBD-II dongles, if anyone has played with those. I might get into tinkering with those in the next few weeks
I know this is old but wondering if anyone has found anything? I am a former TeslaFi user and want to see more than the Ford APIs are exposing.

I am looking at the Freematics dongles since they can be modified to do custom services without a frontend app and have a choice of BLE, WiFi, or LTE interfaces. But I am new to OBDII and a lot of the good data is on custom PIDs so still trying to learn if this device can access them.

Any thoughts on how to proceed?

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag

JimmyMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Car Scanner ELM OBD2 got an extensive Mach-E profile, which seems a mix of sensors from C-Max Energii profile and pids developed by Eric C Boston, mentioned elsewhere on this forum.

This app works on iOS and Android, I use it with iCar Vgate PRO bluetooth adapter.

Sensor list:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Any OBD-II app that works yet? 2021

Ford Mustang Mach-E Any OBD-II app that works yet? 2011
Ford Mustang Mach-E Any OBD-II app that works yet? 5543
Ford Mustang Mach-E Any OBD-II app that works yet? 5559
Ford Mustang Mach-E Any OBD-II app that works yet? 5609
Ford Mustang Mach-E Any OBD-II app that works yet? 5623
Ford Mustang Mach-E Any OBD-II app that works yet? 5631

sfabris

First Name
Simone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E SR RD, Seat Leon TGI
Country flag
I'm using Car Scanner and this app: Ford HVB
Ford HVB can give the single voltage of all the cells, together with power of single cell and temperature of all sensors in the battery.

I'm using a vLinkerFD bluetooth adapter.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I'm interested in using an app on trips to track things, including how charging went. Can I do that with Car Scanner ELM OBD2? What steps do I need to follow (once connected) to do this? I did connect using it, and could see battery temp, etc. Interested in seeing battery temp on highway just before charging, and then charging curve, to see how temp impacts things.

OP
OP
Wildthing

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Since update 21P22 update, I've lost my instant power in kw. At idle it displays around minus 250 kW instead of 0-3 kW. Anyway to get this back?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Any OBD-II app that works yet? Mach-E.JPG

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yesterday I hooked my Viecar OBDII reader up in Marlin again. While it still was not working with their own Auto Doctor software, it did work with Car Scanner. Cool. All I did was check to see if it worked and connected and left testing to today. I left the Viecar plugged in over night. :)

This morning I had some errands to run, so I figured I would test Car Scanner and also see if I could get ABRP connected to the Viecar. I drove to my first stop, checked Car Scanner and saw it had not reconnected today, so I told it to reconnect. Immediately Marlin started lighting up with most of the warnings I remember including some about object detections, power warnings, and finally seek service soon, a wrench, and stop vehicle safely now. Of course, I was parked the whole time. ?

I promptly removed the Viecar reader and tried to restart. It would not recognize my phone. I decided to just turn Marlin off and let him settle down. When I came back a few minutes later, Marlin started fine (using PaaK), recognized my profile but was in Engage mode (although the Unbridled markings were on the Instrument Display, and he wouldn't change to Unbridled. After my next stop I tried Unbridled again with no luck but was able to switch to Whisper and then into Unbridled. Everything else settled back down fine. :rolleyes:

I'd like to get it working with ABRP but I'm a little scared of freaking Marlin out again since we have a long trip to make starting Sunday. I also know the sort of trouble folks have had getting bricked Mach Es back on the road ?

@dtbaker61: Did you run into anything like this with the Viecar?

JimmyMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Cool. All I did was check to see if it worked and connected and left testing to today. I left the Viecar plugged in over night. :)
If Viecar adapter remains always on, it was active over night and probably drained the 12V battery.

Car should be up and running (OBD voltage over 13V) when you check parameters, so that the 12V battery does not get depleted any further.

The SOC of the 12V battery should be around 90%, you can check it with Car Scanner, as well as days since battery reset (your battery was recently replaced by the dealer), and the level of parasitic drain (quiescent), here it is 30 mA:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-e-dead-again.12086/page-3#post-310520

12V SOC is displayed on new dashboards in Carscanner:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...splay-ver-1-87-1-and-later.12627/#post-309819

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
If Viecar adapter remains always on, it was active over night and probably drained the 12V battery.

Car should be up and running (OBD voltage over 13V) when you check parameters, so that the 12V battery does not get depleted any further.

The SOC of the 12V battery should be around 90%, you can check it with Car Scanner, as well as days since battery reset (your battery was recently replaced by the dealer), and the level of parasitic drain (quiescent), here it is 30 mA:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-e-dead-again.12086/page-3#post-310520

12V SOC is displayed on new dashboards in Carscanner:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...splay-ver-1-87-1-and-later.12627/#post-309819
As I indicated, the problem didn’t occur until I had driven to my first stop and saw that Car Scanner wasn’t connected. The battery level was fine.
Sponsored