Any OBD-II app that works yet?

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Has anyone tried the Mach-E with Torque Pro app on Android or other equivalent with iOS with a Bluethooth OBD-II reader?

I wonder if it's already possible to read realtime data like battery temperature since it's not possible to see that important information (especially to optimise level 3 charging).

I don't know if the data read from those apps are standard or if the app editors must add the car to their database.

I have an external screen in my Kona to display many informations instead of using my phone. It would be a shame to not be able to see those information in such an high tech car.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Any OBD-II app that works yet? sc2-drivin

Here are other screens from my display. I know the guy who developped it, maybe he would be interested to developp for the Mach-E if he has enough interest.

https://evobd2.com/
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I doubt many 3rd party apps would pull back all the data until the developers can get their hands on a car.

For the Focus Electric the Forscan app was able to read most, if not all, the data out of the car.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I have an OBDII device for my VW and I did a lot of really cool (to me) customizations to my car. Immediately when thinking of this now I’m wondering if we might eventually be able to alter the sequential turn signal speed or how it acts. I did something similar on my VW. Also, feeding data from the car into something would be awesome.

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Has anyone tried the Mach-E with Torque Pro app on Android or other equivalent with iOS with a Bluethooth OBD-II reader?

I wonder if it's already possible to read realtime data like battery temperature since it's not possible to see that important information (especially to optimise level 3 charging).

I don't know if the data read from those apps are standard or if the app editors must add the car to their database.

I have an external screen in my Kona to display many informations instead of using my phone. It would be a shame to not be able to see those information in such an high tech car.

Here are other screens from my display. I know the guy who developped it, maybe he would be interested to developp for the Mach-E if he has enough interest.

Could you explain how this works to me like I'm 5? Thanks in advance.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Could you explain how this works to me like I'm 5? Thanks in advance.
The OBDII port on all modern cars is the port used to access the car’s CPU. All data is pushed out of that port on how the car is behaving. It’s usually used for dealers to run diagnostics or update things with the car but fancy programmers have figured out a way to create a Bluetooth enabled dongle that fits in that slot under the dash and pipe the raw data to an app on your phone or tablet. Depending on how far they can reverse engineer the codes, the more information they can get from the car itself. In some cases, you can even gain access codes to make small changes to the car. For instance on my VW, I was able to change how my car responds when I unlock it, or map the all windows down function to holding down the unlock on my key fob. Most of the time tough, people use it for real time data logs on how the car is performing

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag

I'll give it a try. I'm supposed to get a test car on February 10th. I just have to find my Bluetooth ODB2 that I bought when diagnosing a problem with my current car.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
I guess Tesla didn’t get the memo.
I'm not an expert, but I'm fairly confident they do *have* OBD-II, it's just not user-exposed. I just randomly Googled and tried to find the federal law wording, and it does seem to hint that OBD-II was required starting in 1996 (and CANbus started being required in 2008), but it doesn't say it needs to be user-exposed. Sounds like a loophole to me.

Also FYI, you can tap into Tesla OBD-II ports if you are willing to buy a dongle and pop a panel.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
OBD became a requirement in 1996. The updated standards came into effect in 2008. Nothing says it has to be consumer accessible. But we are talking Tesla after all.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
OBD became a requirement in 1996. The updated standards came into effect in 2008. Nothing says it has to be consumer accessible. But we are talking Tesla after all.
Now you are gonna force me to look at the regulations. I'm pretty sure you are required to have an accessible OBD-II port roughly under the steering column.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Has to be, there is a law.
The law in the United States is written to mandate OBDII for emissions compliance only.

Tesla argued they have no emissions, therefore there is no regulatory authority to compel them to install OBDII ports and presumably got the exemption.

The Model 3 does not have OBDII in North America, I'm not sure about elsewhere. I presume Model Y does not either.

Model 3 has a proprietary diagnostics port, and some folks have figured out you can splice in an OBDII port by adding a T-jumper to the wire harness in the back of the center console down near where a middle rear seat occupants' foot would be (I believe that's where).
Sponsored