any problems with putting stock 225/60-r18 tires on 8.5 wheels ?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I am planning to use my (Select) stock wheels for snow tires, and move the stock tires to my new wheels.... Enkei ts-v 18x8.5
and then go +1 width, probably 245 for summer tires after the stock 225 tires wear out.

With the new wheels being an inch wider, it obviously will change the sidewall geometry a bit for the 225 tires since the bead will be wider... is this going to be a problem? or, perhaps a benefit with a slightly stiffer ride with the sidewall flatter and less of a 'bulge'?
Sponsored

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I am shopping for snows and wheels too. I am doing the same thing and shopping for wheels. The color choice for the wheel is what I am struggling with. From my experience you will see little to no difference, Tread width is tread width, just a little more or less bulge depend on wheel with. Check out https://tiresize.com/ it is a great resource. A reminder to paint your calipers at the time of install. They will not look that great after a salty Winter.

BTW this is from Michelin. An 8.5" is NOT recommended on that tire size......
Ford Mustang Mach-E any problems with putting stock 225/60-r18 tires on 8.5 wheels ? 1624898032796

Last edited:

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I am planning to use my (Select) stock wheels for snow tires, and move the stock tires to my new wheels.... Enkei ts-v 18x8.5
and then go +1 width, probably 245 for summer tires after the stock 225 tires wear out.

With the new wheels being an inch wider, it obviously will change the sidewall geometry a bit for the 225 tires since the bead will be wider... is this going to be a problem? or, perhaps a benefit with a slightly stiffer ride with the sidewall flatter and less of a 'bulge'?
You will likely have to run higher air pressure in the tires to get them to sit flat on the road and wear correctly. This will make the ride a little more harsh.
Sponsored