Any serious autocrossers here?

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Lexus IS300 autox/track car.
Country flag
As a long-time SCCA autocrosser I’m wondering…are there are any other serious autocross folks on here? It would be great to hear from an experienced driver who has had an opportunity to run a GTPE at a real competitive event as opposed to some Ford corporate outing. Or even one of the other trims that have been switched from the silly 7” wide wheels & Michelins to something more serious.

I ran a few SCCA events with my Bolt. Those cars would be really interesting if they had a limited slip and, most critically, you could actually turn off the stability control.

So far no EV really rivals the Tesla 3 for such use. Just curious if the top Mach E might be fun to try.
Sponsored

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I was serious about 15 years ago so I have feedback though not enough experience in the week and a half I've had my GT to give too much advice. I would say that I don't believe it's going to be up to the task based on thermal management. It's heavy and prone to snap oversteer on throttle coming out of a turn which is fun but not fast. Off throttle it's an understeering pig. It's far too heavy for 245 tires to turn in without throttle.

The power limitations are going to make for inconsistent delivery which is going to frustrate on longer courses where you can stretch her legs.

I think it would fun on course, but not competitive.

OP
OP
rodhx

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks Scooby24! That’s kind of what I’m expecting. Dynamically the Bolt is a lot of fun with some short sticky tires, but couldn’t get past the software limitation. I don’t have high hopes for the Mach E at 5k pounds on skinny wheels but hope to be surprised. ;)

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
Thanks Scooby24! That’s kind of what I’m expecting. Dynamically the Bolt is a lot of fun with some short sticky tires, but couldn’t get past the software limitation. I don’t have high hopes for the Mach E at 5k pounds on skinny wheels but hope to be surprised. ;)
I'm going to run in the new EVX class...it allows more mods to the car (similar to STX class for ICE cars). It allows wider wheels.

OP
OP
rodhx

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm going to run in the new EVX class...it allows more mods to the car (similar to STX class for ICE cars). It allows wider wheels.
That‘s a smart move if you are going to modify your car. EVX allows much more extensive mods than Street Touring though. Strangely enough I regularly compete in an STX IS300 ;). Other than wheels I am not sure our cars have any quality performance upgrades yet.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
That‘s a smart move if you are going to modify your car. EVX allows much more extensive mods than Street Touring though. Strangely enough I regularly compete in an STX IS300 ;). Other than wheels I am not sure our cars have any quality performance upgrades yet.
Waiting for camber plates to become available. Also, I need a halo race seat. I'm getting a 4-point harness for Xmas. Due to their low cost (and a VERY heavy car), I've bought some 275 mm General (Continental) GMax RS's.

OP
OP
rodhx

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Waiting for camber plates to become available. Also, I need a halo race seat. I'm getting a 4-point harness for Xmas. Due to their low cost (and a VERY heavy car), I've bought some 275 mm General (Continental) GMax RS's.
a seat? Interesting. Not needed for autocross of course. Are mounts available?

The General should be better than the OEM tires but of course significantly slower than the 200tw choices. Much less expensive as well ?
Sponsored