macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext Range
Country flag
My MME Premium AWD range estimates have gone down dramatically since i first purchaeed the car about a year ago. I am a pretty conservative driver and mostly drive around town. Recently i reset the history a week ago and for a 90% charge the estimated was 230 miles but when I first got the car that would have been closer to 270 ( yes I onow thats the rated range for 100% charge on this car). Today with a 90% charge it gives me 192 miles.
Is there any way to check battery health like you can on an iphone or macbook?
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
What you're seeing is normal. Search the forum for cold weather range and you'll find hundreds of pages of similar reports.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
My MME Premium AWD range estimates have gone down dramatically since i first purchaeed the car about a year ago. I am a pretty conservative driver and mostly drive around town. Recently i reset the history a week ago and for a 90% charge the estimated was 230 miles but when I first got the car that would have been closer to 270 ( yes I onow thats the rated range for 100% charge on this car). Today with a 90% charge it gives me 192 miles.
Is there any way to check battery health like you can on an iphone or macbook?
Have you read the many threads that discuss that cold weather impacts the battery range displayed by the GOM (Guess-O-Meter)?

Have you had the 21P22 update applied, which makes changes to the range displayed?

Once you reset the driving history, you would have seen the summer range displayed, which would then react to temperature.

On the reset, 90% at 230 equates to 256 at 100% and sounds perfect. A higher range displayed in warm weather would not be a surprise, but it's not warm. Wait until this weekend when the temps drop again, and see what your range is.

OP
OP
macgyver60

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you read the many threads that discuss that cold weather impacts the battery range displayed by the GOM (Guess-O-Meter)?

Have you had the 21P22 update applied, which makes changes to the range displayed?

Once you reset the driving history, you would have seen the summer range displayed, which would then react to temperature.

On the reset, 90% at 230 equates to 256 at 100% and sounds perfect. A higher range displayed in warm weather would not be a surprise, but it's not warm. Wait until this weekend when the temps drop again, and see what your range is.
Im well aware of the effects of cold on range which is why I was looking for a method to check battery health directly so I could eliminate that confounder. I have had the car for almost exactly a year so weather conditions now are very nearly the same as they were when I purchased it. In fact last weekend we had a record high of 70 degrees. I suspect the weather may still be the primary factor here but it would be helpful to have a way to check battery health like you can on other common electrnic devices that use the same battery technology.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Im well aware of the effects of cold on range which is why I was looking for a method to check battery health directly so I could eliminate that confounder. I have had the car for almost exactly a year so weather conditions now are very nearly the same as they were when I purchased it. In fact last weekend we had a record high of 70 degrees. I suspect the weather may still be the primary factor here but it would be helpful to have a way to check battery health like you can on other common electrnic devices that use the same battery technology.
Unfortunately, there is no easy way to do that. Even the hard way, with specific apps and sensors, produces information that people struggle to really understand.

As I said above, if you had 21P22 applied, that changed things from when the car was new. If you didn't, then well, it didn't.

Today I'm showing 172 miles at 90%. 32 degrees and snowing. Will be charging to 100% tonight, preconditioning for an early departure tomorrow. Hoping to squeak 210+ miles (need 200) out of the first leg of the trip.

My car has had 21P22, and is up through 2.3 OTA.

Last edited:

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
You reset the history…..
So, do you recall all the threads last year about the car being super conservative on the GOM for the first taking 1000 miles in order to calibrate to your driving style? They were the threads from new owners before all the threads about low range from cold weather. You started that all over.

I think the best you could do would be to put electrical tape over the GOM, charge to 100%, then do your own EPA test. Find a 135 mile route that is 50% highway (Don’t drive over 60 MPH) and 50% city with lots of stopsigns/light (Average 35 MPH during this part). See if that uses 50% of your charge.

Short of using a rectal thermometer in the tailpipe, you can’t really check the battery health.

OP
OP
macgyver60

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You reset the history…..
So, do you recall all the threads last year about the car being super conservative on the GOM for the first taking 1000 miles in order to calibrate to your driving style? They were the threads from new owners before all the threads about low range from cold weather. You started that all over.

I think the best you could do would be to put electrical tape over the GOM, charge to 100%, then do your own EPA test. Find a 135 mile route that is 50% highway (Don’t drive over 60 MPH) and 50% city with lots of stopsigns/light (Average 35 MPH during this part). See if that uses 50% of your charge.

Short of using a rectal thermometer in the tailpipe, you can’t really check the battery health.
If you reread my post you will see I was making an effort to compare apples to apples and eliminate the weather factor as best I could by comparing estimates from last year at the same time and similar weather. Obviously you can’t entirely equalize the confounding effect of temperature hense the reason for my original question.

ReelSweet

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
You reset the history…..

Ford Mustang Mach-E Any way to check battery health? wink-eddie-murphy

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The only measure that matters is miles per kWh that you're getting, times the battery size. If you get that range, nothing else is worth looking at.

OP
OP
macgyver60

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Unfortunately, there is no easy way to do that. Even the hard way, with specific apps and sensors, produces information that people struggle to really understand.

As I said above, if you had 21P22 applied, that changed things from when the car was new. If you didn't, then well, it didn't.

Today I'm showing 172 miles at 90%. 32 degrees and snowing. Will be charging to 100% tonight, preconditioning for an early departure tomorrow. Hoping to squeak 210+ miles (need 200) out of the first leg of the trip.

My car has had 21P22, and is up through 2.3 OTA.
is there a way to tell if the 21P22 update has been done? I assume thats not an OTA update? The dealer recently had my car for almost three weeks due to a module replacement that didn’t go well so it’s possible they may have done it then but I dont know

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
is there a way to tell if the 21P22 update has been done? I assume thats not an OTA update? The dealer recently had my car for almost three weeks due to a module replacement that didn’t go well so it’s possible they may have done it then but I dont know
I can check for you if you send me your VIN.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, it should be on a work order, because otherwise they didn't get compensated by Ford.

There are members that will lookup your VIN on FDRS and see. Edit - as I said...

OnceYouGo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD, Job 1
Country flag
Try recurrent, their blurb is "Recurrent provides transparency so you can have confidence in your EV and its battery."

"FOR EV OWNERS
Connect your car once and we take care of the rest. We monitor 4 data points daily to build your monthly report - that’s it!"

https://www.recurrentauto.com/for-owners

Disclaimer: I haven't used it but I'm signing up now :)

Last edited: