Any way to test if OTA is working or if my car is communicating with Ford via OTA?

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
I don't do myself any favors by updating via FDRS, but I have heard of other instances where people's OTA is not working properly. I have a Job 1 Select AWD.

I have always assumed that my FDRS updates are why I don't receive any OTA updates, but am wondering if there's a way for me to see if OTA is in fact working or if there's a routine I can run in FDRS that would help me know. I have never received an OTA update so far as I know, and when I bought the car new last year, there were a slew of updates I had to perform once I purchased the subscription.

My Vehicle Inhibit Status, UpdatePendingState and OtaAlertStatus values in Tonesto7's iOS script all read 'No Data.' My OTA Setting Status is on, and is scheduled for 11pm for every day.

Any tips? Should I have the dealer look into this with other tools they have at their disposal that I do not? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

OP
OP
KevinS

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Based on what you can see in FDRS and comparing that with what you know from reading about other Job 1 cars on the forum, what features or fixes are you missing?
I’m first and foremost wanting to see if there’s a way I can find out if my OTA capability works. I am planning to probably not renew my FDRS subscription later this year.

Based on what little I know, it seems like PTS would be able to determine if my car is talking correctly with the mothership, or at least maybe have a record on OTA attempts?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Yes, from what I understand PTS will show comms status including OTA attempts. But I don't have access to any of those tools, not even FDRS.

The only OTA update I've received recently was to address 22S41. But some people are beginning to receive Power-Ups to modernize and sync up their systems to the early 2022 factory levels. Seems like these are mainly job 2 and 2022 cars for now.

If no one offers to check PTS for you, you may want to hold off on installing any more FDRS-based updates until we start seeing widespread reports of 2021 Job 1 cars getting OTAs again. Then you'll hopefully find out if OTA updates work on your car.

If I'm following others' posts correctly, when modules relevant to an OTA update are already at the target level or newer, then the OTA update won't be pushed to the vehicle so you'll see nothing about it.

OP
OP
KevinS

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks. Hopefully someone here can help me out. If not, I’ll have to make a dealer appointment and be “that guy.”

mikeflash

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Convertible, Expedition, Mach e
Country flag
I don't do myself any favors by updating via FDRS, but I have heard of other instances where people's OTA is not working properly. I have a Job 1 Select AWD.

I have always assumed that my FDRS updates are why I don't receive any OTA updates, but am wondering if there's a way for me to see if OTA is in fact working or if there's a routine I can run in FDRS that would help me know. I have never received an OTA update so far as I know, and when I bought the car new last year, there were a slew of updates I had to perform once I purchased the subscription.

My Vehicle Inhibit Status, UpdatePendingState and OtaAlertStatus values in Tonesto7's iOS script all read 'No Data.' My OTA Setting Status is on, and is scheduled for 11pm for every day.

Any tips? Should I have the dealer look into this with other tools they have at their disposal that I do not? Thanks in advance.
As long as you know that the car is connected to the home Wi-Fi push the update now button on the screen - even if it is greyed out. I t will connect and check and report with something like no update available now. Then check your home router logs. Most routers are accessible from either a phone or computer that is on the same network. I check my eero logs daily to see how much data my MachE and separately the sync system used on the network overnight. The recall software was 45 megs and was downloaded a week before it installed.

OP
OP
KevinS

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update...

Took my car to the dealer to get the recall cleared (I did it in FDRS) and asked about if they could check if OTA was working.

They didn't understand what I was asking, even after explaining it multiple times (looking to see if the car and Ford are talking to each other.)

All they could tell me is the car didn't have any updates. Argh.

I am ready to sell this thing if only so I never need to visit a Ford dealer again.

Can anyone help me find out if OTA is working on my car? Is that possible to determine remotely or does the car have to physically be connected to PTS?

OP
OP
KevinS

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've now been squared away... many thanks to a forum member for their help.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
So....the info you got....did it involve asking your service manager to pull up the OTA dashboard and confirm they could see your car's info there and in the connected vehicle pages?

I just saw your post and was about to respond when you said you're squared away.

Mike

OP
OP
KevinS

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So....the info you got....did it involve asking your service manager to pull up the OTA dashboard and confirm they could see your car's info there and in the connected vehicle pages?

I just saw your post and was about to respond when you said you're squared away.

Mike
Hi Mike, thanks for replying.

I asked if they could check in PTS if they could see if my car was correctly talking to the servers. I explained that my car has never received an OTA update before and I was concerned it was not working properly. The Service Manager wasn't available when I was there (it was around lunch today when I picked it up) so I was talking with my Service Advisor.

I also wrote what I was asking for at the top of the recall notice so it could be passed along to a Service Tech. Don't know what more I could have done as a layperson to explain the problem.

At any rate, maybe it got corrected today and the Tech didn't note what they did, maybe it was never an issue and I was just unlucky with no OTAs, but as of today it sounds like both ends are communicating correctly. Now I just have to wait for another OTA.

machdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
Mine is stuck at 2.7.1 and has no available updates. Just got the car back from the 3 recalls serviced and they supposedly updated the software but doesn't seem so as I still have the factory regen 1PD braking.
Sponsored