Anybody add a front tow hook to US MME yet?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I am considering adding a front bumper hook similar to what is available with EU Mach-e....
Has anyone done this yet?

If I pull the Frunk tub out, will I have access to the back of the bumper, or am I going to have to pull off the whole front facia to get to the bumper?

I am hoping I can get access behind the existing 'emergency 12v hood opener' bumper port, drill a hole and add the tow hook.... maybe even hide a screw in base behind the access port when not in use.....

I haven't pulled the tub yet, but if anybody has ideas/insight into this mod, let me know!
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
@21st Century Pony installed an aftermarket tow ring: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ing-at-the-front-bumper-knockout-cover.22826/ 😊🐩

I bought an EU tow ring and found that it has a wildcat left-handed thread pitch on it, for which I cannot find a proper tap. So I gave up on using the factory tow ring. Some day when I am feeling super-industrious, I might do the aftermarket ring. 🤪🐩

oooohhhh, thanks for that link.... looks like the whole facia has to come off. No obvious access for a backing plate from inside the Frunk tub area since the nut will be inside a closed channel if I am looking at this right.

would have been SO much better/easier if the US and EU bumpers were the same with hole and backing plate factory installed!

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
oooohhhh, thanks for that link.... looks like the whole facia has to come off. No obvious access for a backing plate from inside the Frunk tub area since the nut will be inside a closed channel if I am looking at this right.

would have been SO much better/easier if the US and EU bumpers were the same with hole and backing plate factory installed!
You betcha. That front bumper cover is a pain...

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

Yeah, or if the left hand thread on the factory ring wasn’t some weird wildcat pitch. 🤬🐩
Sponsored