Anybody do range tests of different drive modes and or combined with 'L' setting?

EVMELR

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt 2014 ELR 2017 Volt 2019 ETRON, Prem ExR
Country flag
I find all the drive modes are very free wheeling and maybe that coasting adds to the range. Just picked my Prem/exr/rwd and only 29 miles on it today.
I plan on doing road trips and would like to use the drive combo that gives me the best range. Thanks for whatever help you can supply.
Sponsored

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to MPG and MPkW... So yes in my 3 weeks with the car I have tested each drive mode with 1 pedal off, and whisper and engaged with 1PD on. Starting unbridled with 1PD in about two hours when I head home.

And when I say I'm a nut... I've got this spreadsheet I use to track my stats - and even reset the trip computer before my wife drove so that she wouldn't mess with my "research" on which drive mode combinations best suite my style from an MPkW perspective...

Screenshot_20210401-124839.png

americanflannel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
I do not write menu descriptions for a living
Country flag
What exactly is L anyways?

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I find all the drive modes are very free wheeling and maybe that coasting adds to the range. Just picked my Prem/exr/rwd and only 29 miles on it today.
I plan on doing road trips and would like to use the drive combo that gives me the best range. Thanks for whatever help you can supply.
According to Ford, your mi/kWh shouldn't vary between the three modes. The only (relevant to range) difference between them is how much regen will be applied when lifting your foot off the throttle and while braking.

Other mode differences are not related (steering feel, throttle response, propulsion sound, ambient lights....)

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
It basically maximizes regen when lifting off the pedal, temporarily simulating the effect of putting a traditional ICE in a low gear to descend a long grade. With 1-Pedal Driving already on, "L" makes no difference.

EDIT: The vestigial name for "L" would be equivalent to "Low" for low range / low gear.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
It is like 1PD on demand without the ability to bring the vehicle to a complete stop but does allow the vehicle to creep at slow speeds.

Useful for those of us that don't use 1PD yet have a temporary need to slow the vehicle without needing to use the brake pedal until the last few feet. Descending steep hills, parking garages, freeway exit ramps etc

I used it this morning because traffic was stopped for miles but the carpool lane was moving.....just kinda slowly. Using L was helpful so didn't have to keep moving my foot back and forth between the pedals.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anybody do range tests of different drive modes and or combined with 'L' setting? 20210401_080959

MightyJawa

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt
Country flag
It is like 1PD on demand without the ability to bring the vehicle to a complete stop but does allow the vehicle to creep at slow speeds.

Useful for those of us that don't use 1PD yet have a temporary need to slow the vehicle without needing to use the brake pedal until the last few feet. Descending steep hills, parking garages, freeway exit ramps etc

I used it this morning because traffic was stopped for miles but the carpool lane was moving.....just kinda slowly. Using L was helpful so didn't have to keep moving my foot back and forth between the pedals.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anybody do range tests of different drive modes and or combined with 'L' setting? 20210401_080959
Does ACC work in this situation?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Does ACC work in this situation?
No it doesn't work well enough. I was actually using ACC and LKA but had to activate the brakes manually to keep from plowing into that car ahead of me. The traffic on the right was completely stopped. The cars ahead in my lane were doing 10-15 mph. I was coming at them at 72 mph. I don't think ACC would have stopped in time but I didn't test it out.

I did try and enable ACC after I slowed down but it gives too much buffer to the car ahead and other cars would dart in from the right and activate the collision alarm and emergency braking. It is better just to leave ACC on pause and use the L mode.

When traffic cleared a mile or two down the road then I resumed ACC and turned off L.

Last edited:

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
OPD/L won't do anything for constant cruising. You may see an advantage in city driving though. However, since Ford blends regen and friction with brake pedal, any reasonably smooth driver with a soft touch can do better.
Sponsored