Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Posts like this one make me wish they had governed it at 75-80mph. If you need To race, take it to a racecourse and leave innocent civilians out of your nonsense.

Now, do I wish they had an ungoverned track mode? Absolutely.
Sponsored

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
Posts like this one make me wish they had governed it at 75-80mph. If you need To race, take it to a racecourse and leave innocent civilians out of your nonsense.

80 would be a bit weak, looks like you're on the east coast? Out here in the west there's still plenty of highways with 75 and 80 speed limits, with hours of nothingness between each point of interest

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
For a Mustang, it's slow. I kinda expect a Mustang to do at least 120 mph. At least the GT will do that.

Some people will be terrified driving 120 mph and others will think it's slow, just depends what you're used to and how fast your brain processes the world.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
For a Mustang, it's slow. I kinda expect a Mustang to do at least 120 mph. At least the GT will do that.

Some people will be terrified driving 120 mph and others will think it's slow, just depends what you're used to and how fast your brain processes the world.
There is no legitimate reason for a street car to ever get into triple digits in the USA. Period. Ever.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
80 would be a bit weak, looks like you're on the east coast? Out here in the west there's still plenty of highways with 75 and 80 speed limits, with hours of nothingness between each point of interest
I lived in Eagle and Leadville for 6 years. I am aware of the wide open spaces in the west. I also don’t live on the east coast. i Intentionally picked 75-80 because I know there are speed limits that high.

I stand by what I said.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
The limitation is the Borg Warner motors which have a maximum RPM of 13,800. They probably can't even quite get that high in normal operation since electric motors hit their max RPMs under zero torque.

So the AWD front drive ratio is 10.0 (rear is 9.05), meaning at 113 mph the front motor is running ~13,200 RPM. You could maybe get one more mph, but 120 mph is physically impossible.

The GT probably has a 9.05 ratio on the front motor (like the AWD's rear motor), which gives it ~13115 RPM at 124 mph.

If we wanted higher top speeds we would have needed a two speed transmission with all of the cost, weight and maintenance impacts. For me, it is an easy answer - I don't need to spend another $15k just to say it has a higher top speed that I'll never actually be able to use.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Speeds like that should be kept to the track.

Exactly correct. If you want to go that fast, there are plenty of tracks where you can do that. There's no need to risk killing people when you can do the same thing in a safe setting where EVERYONE is going that fast. There's a reason the autobahn has a MINIMUM speed limit.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
There is no legitimate reason for a street car to ever get into triple digits in the USA. Period. Ever.
Oh come on. We have 80-85mph limits on some toll sections in Texas that are deserted more often than not. And, there are times when you come up on an asshole going 70 in the left lane (“left lane for passing only” be damned) and they won’t get over for anything. So, you pass on the right quickly and safely. It’s not hard to get to 100mph when you’re already at 85+.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Even on the East Coast when I'm going from FL to NC 75-80 is the average. There are stretches where everyone is averaging 80 with the fast lane at 85.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Even on the East Coast when I'm going from FL to NC 75-80 is the average. There are stretches where everyone is averaging 80 with the fast lane at 85.
Which doesn’t exactly make those speeds legal.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Which doesn’t exactly make those speeds legal.
When the speed limit is 70mph 75 is legal, 80 is pretty average.

Anyway, I'm not going to sit here and debate the speed limit rules. I drive with the speed of traffic, if you don't and you think that's the pious thing to do then I'll just drive around you with everyone else while you hold up the fast lane agitating everyone behind you.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
A lot of BEVS have low top speeds, of course if your Volvo you try and pass it of as a safety feature. While most people won't go near the top speed it is one of those paper specs that people look at so while 113mph is not ground breaking it is inline with a lot of other BEVs so is fine, it looks worse on paper for the GT with a lowly 124mph which is a bit pathetic by todays performance trim standards. even tesla knew this and aimed for the 150mph ball park that people expect.

As to actually driving at that top speed, most people doing higher speeds are on the interstate with visibility for miles, sure lane discipline in the USA is not great but as you can over take on both sides on these shore its not an issue, but the highways are built for high speeds with most sates having 75 to 85 mph speed limits which really isn't that fast for todays cars.

Naturally each state and country are free to make laws for what they feel is safe, and I will stick to them but I tend to :rolleyes: a bit when the narrative is that speed x is dangerous at all times yet y is fine, when in reality it is inappropriate speed for the conditions that is the issue as there are plenty of times when going speed limit is dangerous.

It always reminds me of my European roads trips back in the day where one moment I would be legally and safely doing 165mph down the autobahn and be one of the slow cars lol, Then once I got off the ferry and driving back towards home on a similar stretch of motorway with a similar amount of traffic in the UK I would be going along at 70mph and anything above would be considered dangerous with impending doom seconds away.

Mercury8

First Name
Calum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E SR AWD
Country flag

Anyone who thinks driving 120 mph is slow and not recognise the dangers should not be behind the wheel.

You may have superhuman reflexes but not every road user will have those as well.

I know it’s difficult for those wanting to drive at 120 mph and above to understand or appreciate but the safety of others need to be taken into account as well.

Go to a track.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
When the speed limit is 70mph 75 is legal, 80 is pretty average.

Anyway, I'm not going to sit here and debate the speed limit rules. I drive with the speed of traffic, if you don't and you think that's the pious thing to do then I'll just drive around you with everyone else while you hold up the fast lane agitating everyone behind you.
That's not how laws work, LOL. ?

If the speed limit is 70 then 70 is legal. Anything above that is not (hence the word limit). Cops will pretty much ignore you at 5 over but are within their rights to pull you over for it.

I agree with you about you doing you. I'm going to still only do 5 over and ya'll can go around. I'm not going to sit in the left lane but I will be in the center or right lane. Ha!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.