blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
A lot of BEVS have low top speeds, of course if your Volvo you try and pass it of as a safety feature. While most people won't go near the top speed it is one of those paper specs that people look at so while 113mph is not ground breaking it is inline with a lot of other BEVs so is fine, it looks worse on paper for the GT with a lowly 124mph which is a bit pathetic by todays performance trim standards. even tesla knew this and aimed for the 150mph ball park that people expect.

As to actually driving at that top speed, most people doing higher speeds are on the interstate with visibility for miles, sure lane discipline in the USA is not great but as you can over take on both sides on these shore its not an issue, but the highways are built for high speeds with most sates having 75 to 85 mph speed limits which really isn't that fast for todays cars.

Naturally each state and country are free to make laws for what they feel is safe, and I will stick to them but I tend to :rolleyes: a bit when the narrative is that speed x is dangerous at all times yet y is fine, when in reality it is inappropriate speed for the conditions that is the issue as there are plenty of times when going speed limit is dangerous.

It always reminds me of my European roads trips back in the day where one moment I would be legally and safely doing 165mph down the autobahn and be one of the slow cars lol, Then once I got off the ferry and driving back towards home on a similar stretch of motorway with a similar amount of traffic in the UK I would be going along at 70mph and anything above would be considered dangerous with impending doom seconds away.
It's just as dangerous to drive too slow as it is too fast. Speed of traffic is more important than x amount above or below the legal limit. And of course 100mph on a regular highway with traffic is just stupid too, I see people do that here in FL weaving through traffic and I have to shake my head every time. Just waiting for someone to flip their car so I can drive by them upside down shaking my head at them.
Sponsored

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
That's not how laws work, LOL. ?

If the speed limit is 70 then 70 is legal. Anything above that is not (hence the word limit). Cops will pretty much ignore you at 5 over but are within their rights to pull you over for it.

I agree with you about you doing you. I'm going to still only do 5 over and ya'll can go around. I'm not going to sit in the left lane but I will be in the center or right lane. Ha!
I understand how the laws work, but in reality if the speed limit is 70 then it's allowed to go 75. I've never been in a state that requires you to be pulled over for 5mph above any speed limit. 25mph or 70mph. I know when I'm doing 80 I'm speeding based on the law, but if everyone is doing 80 then it's safer to do 80 and not hold everyone up or cause traffic issues because you want to follow the law to the T. As long as you aren't in the fast lane backing up traffic then go 70 for all I care.

And let's be honest here, 80mph is not dangerous. You don't go from a nice and safe 75mph to an out of control 80mph. That doesn't exist. If you're going 90-100mph and everyone is doing 80mph, you're putting everyone in danger.

There's a reason the autobahn has an extremely high speed limit, it's because cars can do that safely in 2021. What makes speeding and not speeding dangerous is the difference in speed between your car and everyone around you.

praxiscat

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Not really at all. I think the fastest I have ever gone is 95.
Posts like this one make me wish they had governed it at 75-80mph. If you need To race, take it to a racecourse and leave innocent civilians out of your nonsense.

Now, do I wish they had an ungoverned track mode? Absolutely.
Back in the 1980s some cars were governed this way. It was the pain in the butt being in a foxbody t-bird or mustang and hit an artificial 75 mph. It sucked.
With that being said some people do take their cars to tracks. This will especially be the case for the GT model. I think managing the governor there will be important, and having a way to tune it/turn it off.

Now mind you...on my premium I would never notice speeds above 90 mph. So when I found out about the governor vs Teslas which don't have them it didn't bother me. I still went with the Mach-e over a Tesla.

But it wouldn't hurt if they had a way to turn it off for people who do go to tracks.

Last edited:

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
I'll just point out again, it isn't a "governor" - the top speeds are a direct result of the motor maximum RPMs and the final drive ratio in the Integrated Drive Modules. The GT gets a higher top speed because it has a lower final drive ratio (slightly higher default gear). If you want a higher top speed you need a car with a different design and hardware.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I understand how the laws work, but in reality if the speed limit is 70 then it's allowed to go 75. I've never been in a state that requires you to be pulled over for 5mph above any speed limit. 25mph or 70mph. I know when I'm doing 80 I'm speeding based on the law, but if everyone is doing 80 then it's safer to do 80 and not hold everyone up or cause traffic issues because you want to follow the law to the T. As long as you aren't in the fast lane backing up traffic then go 70 for all I care.

And let's be honest here, 80mph is not dangerous. You don't go from a nice and safe 75mph to an out of control 80mph. That doesn't exist. If you're going 90-100mph and everyone is doing 80mph, you're putting everyone in danger.

There's a reason the autobahn has an extremely high speed limit, it's because cars can do that safely in 2021. What makes speeding and not speeding dangerous is the difference in speed between your car and everyone around you.
I'm guessing you are young and do not have much driving experience, outside of the US.

And no, 5 over is not legal any way you twist it to fit your reality.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag

I agree 80 is a controllable speed in modern cars. I think you're right there's not much difference between 75 and 80, except from an efficiency standpoint. (which I think about more and more now since driving electric)

I guess I never understood the 'everyone' is doing 10+ over so I have to do it too. (cause I don't LOL ? )

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Not really at all. I think the fastest I have ever gone is 95.

Back in the 1980s some cars were governed this way. It was the pain in the butt being in a foxbody t-bird or mustang and hit an artificial 75 mph. It sucked.
With that being said some people do take their cars to tracks. This will especially be the case for the GT model. I think managing the governor there will be important, and having a way to tune it/turn it off.

Now mind you...on my premium I would never notice speeds above 90 mph. So when I found out about the governor vs Teslas which don't have them it didn't bother me. I still went with the Mach-e over a Tesla.

But it wouldn't hurt if they had a way to turn it off for peopl who do go to tracks.
Fox body Stangs and T-Birds weren’t ever limited to 75mph. They had 85mph speedos for a while in a nod to the Federal 55mph mandate, but they were never physically limited to 75mph. Ever. And to further clarify, a bone stock ‘88 GT could still do 137-145mph all while sporting an 85mph speedometer.

Last edited:

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag

Yep. I will go 95-105mph with other traffic on the 85mph sections of the 130 tollway and sometimes I’ll still move over to the right for someone to pass going a bit faster. All of this hand-wringing over 5-10mph over the posted speed, yet, the current major threat to everyone’s safety on the road is smartphones. That’s right. I never look at nor fiddle with my phone while driving. Ever. If my in car infotainment or Siri can’t manage a function for me, oh well, I don’t need to be doing it. But, I was taught situational awareness by a dad who was a private pilot, and I furthered that learning by driving on track. I know for a fact that there are people who are adamant that they never speed, yet, they will freely text or post on social media while driving. Maybe some are posting here, maybe not.
And don’t even get me started on the “I’ve only had 2 beers” crowd.
Bottom line, don’t race in traffic, ever. And don’t exceed speed limits in neighborhoods either.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
I'm guessing you are young and do not have much driving experience, outside of the US.

And no, 5 over is not legal any way you twist it to fit your reality.

This is the most hilarious statement I've heard in a long time. There's nothing in my response that says I'm young and dumb. I've even said going 90-100 is dangerous in that reply.

Just so you know for future reference, I'm 42, owned my own company for 10 years, I've had a 500hp 1992 mustang 5.0 with a lumpy cam, Vortech S trim before they were quiet, the car was LOUD and the most obnoxious thing I've ever been in. I know how to drive cars before electronic assistance was available in sports cars. The safety measure was all in your right foot, otherwise you'd be in a tree.

But yeah, I must be young and stupid based on what I said somehow.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
No, but then again I know someone who was killed when someone like you was racing their car at over 100mph lost control, crossed to the other side of the road, over the barrier and collided head on with my friends car.
Speeds like that should be kept to the track.

I guess we just have different perspectives…?‍♂
Exactly this.
@PrimeFuture Don’t drive that fucking fast on a public road. There’s people out there just trying to get safely from A to B, including families.

And I say this as someone who likes spirited driving and has track experience. If you need to race someone and show how “good of a driver you are” then go to the track.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Yep. I will go 95-105mph with other traffic on the 85mph sections of the 130 tollway and sometimes I’ll still move over to the right for someone to pass going a bit faster. All of this hand-wringing over 5-10mph over the posted speed, yet, the current major threat to everyone’s safety on the road is smartphones. That’s right. I never look at nor fiddle with my phone while driving. Ever. If my in car infotainment or Siri can’t manage a function for me, oh well, I don’t need to be doing it. But, I was taught situational awareness by a dad who was a private pilot, and I furthered that learning by driving on track. I know for a fact that there are people who are adamant that they never speed, yet, they will freely text or post on social media while driving. Maybe some are posting here, maybe not.
And don’t even get me started on the “I’ve only had 2 beers” crowd.
Bottom line, don’t race in traffic, ever. And don’t exceed speed limits in neighborhoods either.
I agree, I never pick up my phone unless I'm fully stopped. I'll pull over to reply if it's that urgent.

praxiscat

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Tesla Model 3
Country flag
It may
Fox body Stangs and T-Birds weren’t ever limited to 75mph. They had 85mph speedos for a while in a nod to the Federal 55mph mandate, but they were never physically limited to 75mph. Ever.
You know you are right. It was a speedometer limit of 85. I kind of hated the fox body even though it was my first car. Some really annoying things happened to it that I am not going to get into.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.