Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach-e
Occupation
Car dealer
Country flag
Wondering if anyone heared about possibly ford allowing more then 5sec full power on the gt performance or is someone making a software upgrade(chip) ?
Sponsored

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Solution is to trade for an AWD Extended Range.?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I think the first question is "What are the consequences of full power for extended periods?" If the cabling or motor windings melt then do we really want to run these that hard?

There is a reason the time limit exists and I doubt it is because Ford doesn't want the car to be too quick.

OP
OP

Dale007cars

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach-e
Occupation
Car dealer
Country flag
I think the first question is "What are the consequences of full power for extended periods?" If the cabling or motor windings melt then do we really want to run these that hard?

There is a reason the time limit exists and I doubt it is because Ford doesn't want the car to be too quick.

Like launch control on gas cars.
You have it .rarely or never use it but it is there.they are recorded for negligent users.i have extended right now and have 2022 gtpe on order seriously thinking of passing on it.
Performance should not be performance !

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
This car needs to be recalibrated for at least 10 seconds of full power. Come on, Ford!
Unless, as @SnBGC says, these first gen MMEs were not designed to handle those loads. If the insulation on the cabling starts melting at 8 seconds of full power, recalibrating to 10 seconds could have disastrous if not deadly consequences. We aren’t the engineers so we don’t know the limits. For now, Ford says 5 seconds.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Different manufactures deal with this problem in various ways. For instance, the Hyundai, KIa and Genesis EV's have a "Boost" button on the steering wheel which you can keep pressing as many times as you like in a row. 5 seconds does seem very skimpy.

OP
OP

Dale007cars

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach-e
Occupation
Car dealer
Country flag
Unless, as @SnBGC says, these first gen MMEs were not designed to handle those loads. If the insulation on the cabling starts melting at 8 seconds of full power, recalibrating to 10 seconds could have disastrous if not deadly consequences. We aren’t the engineers so we don’t know the limits. For now, Ford says 5 seconds.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Maybe ford should of called them gt plus and not performance ?
Agreed. For the moment. Hopefully Ford is gathering data on whatever their limit is and may be able to extend the 5 seconds. I just think we need to let them work through it rather than trying to tell them we know better. A conservative approach isn’t always a bad thing. But they may have jumped the gun on the “performance” moniker.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag

I think they may be being a bit conservative in seeing what the wiring, motor, battery can handle and may increase the 5 second limit a bit in the future.

But I actually do think Ford doesn’t want the car to be too quick. The GTs might be at the top of the totem pole for now, but the Shelby Mach-Es are coming and they have to leave some legroom for those vehicles, especially if Ford is planning to use the same BorgWarner motors that are found on both axles of the GTs and the rear of the non-GTs.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Wondering if anyone heared about possibly ford allowing more then 5sec full power on the gt performance or is someone making a software upgrade(chip) ?
This is what Ford has said officially-

Something like “we are continuing to work on ways to make the 2021 Mach E better.”

Unofficially the only even rumor I have seen was a random comment on a YouTube video where someone claims to have talked to some drunk Ford engineers in the Detroit airport who said “10 seconds is coming in March.”

So I take that as a gospel.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Anybody have a solution to get rid of the max 5sec power cut off 12867D0E-540A-488B-AD46-4133F346DFD0

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anybody have a solution to get rid of the max 5sec power cut off E8C066F6-33BC-42B0-A40F-C5D77FEDEC53

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Maybe ford should of called them gt plus and not performance ?
This is basically what it is or rather a premium plus, the extra poke you get from the larger front motor is useful in everyday driving where time limits are less of an issue, while the magneride fixes the bouncy ride issues people have.

If people want an actual performance BEV then they really need to shop elsewhere as this is not one. When it comes to performance vehicles Ford do have a lot of very talent engineers that can produced very good ones they are very enjoyable to drive without needing huge amounts of power but I doubt any of them have been anywhere near the mach-e :(. There is however certainly potential in the platform.

While I can understand Ford being conservative with the battery most of this to me appears to be towards charging especially DCFC which makes sense, as once vehicles are out in the wild in owners hands they are going to get a much better picture of how people are doing it and how it will impact battery life. For sustained performance pulls there is no reason for the limits to not have been found during development, so either there is an issue hence the pitiful 5 second time limit or there is a lot of potential still that is being held back for a true performance derivative model in the future..

Even if the time limit is upped from 5 to 10 secs it is still only 10 seconds of 480bhp, which is still a long way from the 562bhp potential combined power that both motors can provide. It sucks for early adaptors that where expecting a proper performance BEV as based on Fords rather deceptive marketing you would think you would be getting one, so hopefully there will be some updates in the future that go some way to correcting that, but anyone jumping in with an order now should at least be going in with eyes wide open.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag

Thanks, mom! We won’t forget to wear our coat when it’s cold out either!

There’s also a reason the coyote and voodoo engines have the hp rating they have, but that doesn’t stop people from putting a larger supercharger on them.

Gotta love all the Nannie’s on this forum exclaiming how “upgrades could be dangerous”. It’s a Mustang GT performance edition, not a Prius. People are going to upgrade them, want more power, and do with their cars what they want. Whether mom thinks it’s a good idea or likes to condescendingly tell people to buy a lesser performance oriented trim level ;)
Sponsored