Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
So, we’re back to this topic again I see 🤣. Brings back memories. I’m done waiting for Ford to fix the GTs, hence our Blazer SS reservation. Our 4X has been great so far, but we really did want to get a GTPE with used values being so ridiculous.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Since we are throwing out theories, my theory is the limit is due to the battery pack and cooling capability. The pack uses pouch batteries, with soft casings, which are known to swell.

Controlling the temperature of the batteries is very important, and Ford likely is being very conservative to protect the batteries and prevent damage. The soft casing allows the batteries to be packed closer together, and results in a lower weight compared to metal cased batteries. But they are more likely to swell.

So that is my theory. Maybe after lots of real world results, Ford may decide the 5 second limit can be increased to 8 or 10 seconds. But if I am placing bets, I am not betting on that. Especially after the HVBJB drama. Maybe Ford will give us less gray bars when traveling at highway speed, but I doubt the 5 second limit is going away for existing cars.
And that theory is backed up by people who supposedly talked to the Ford engineers. It’s about cooling and not wanting to rely on sensor feedback when things get too hot. So they put in a time limit and a discharge rate limit.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, we’re back to this topic again I see 🤣. Brings back memories. I’m done waiting for Ford to fix the GTs, hence our Blazer SS reservation. Our 4X has been great so far, but we really did want to get a GTPE with used values being so ridiculous.
When we line up our GTPE vs your SS, are you going to make us wait 5 minutes while you hit all the buttons for WOW mode, then complain when we quit racing after you’re 2 car lengths behind at 80 mph? 😜

I’m sure you will enjoy your trap speed win though.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
When we line up our GTPE vs your SS, are you going to make us wait 5 minutes while you hit all the buttons for WOW mode, then complain when we quit racing after you’re 2 car lengths behind at 80 mph? 😜

I’m sure you will enjoy your trap speed win though.
Bro. Dial it down a notch haha. It’s gonna be my wife’s Blazer, as you well know. Not gonna drag race it against every moron with something to “prove”. If 3.8 or 3.9 or 4.0 to 60 isn’t quick enough, oh well, we’ll live I’m sure.

And you know from my prior umpteen posts on this matter that our use case of frequent driving at 85-95mph on TX highways and high speed tolls just isn’t conducive to owning a GTPE if you want any passing reserves. Right?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bro. Dial it down a notch haha. It’s gonna be my wife’s Blazer, as you well know. Not gonna drag race it against every moron with something to “prove”. If 3.8 or 3.9 or 4.0 to 60 isn’t quick enough, oh well, we’ll live I’m sure.

And you know from my prior umpteen posts on this matter that our use case of frequent driving at 85-95mph on TX highways and high speed tolls just isn’t conducive to owning a GTPE if you want any passing reserves. Right?
We all know that if you want highway passing speeds you need the Accord 2.0t. 😉

I am anxious to see the final specs when it comes out. Unless they nerf the power delivery on the launch (possible) or it’s crazy heavy, it should be fast with those specs.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
We all know that if you want highway passing speeds you need the Accord 2.0t. 😉

I am anxious to see the final specs when it comes out. Unless they nerf the power delivery on the launch (possible) or it’s crazy heavy, it should be fast with those specs.
GM’s recent history in the last decade plus is to overdeliver for the most part. And their chassis team is 2nd to none nowadays, meaning the performance vehicle group specifically. I suspect the Blazer SS will be fully baked and pull hard for 10 secs or more and have a final “boost” and “normal” power output. We shall see.

Plus, my wife’s first vehicle was a red ‘89 S-10 Blazer, so, there’s that sentimental aspect. I was always the Mustang owner until recently.

And why tf have a 2.0T when you can open up a 6.2 LS3? Haha 😎

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Agreed. For the moment. Hopefully Ford is gathering data on whatever their limit is and may be able to extend the 5 seconds. I just think we need to let them work through it rather than trying to tell them we know better. A conservative approach isn’t always a bad thing. But they may have jumped the gun on the “performance” moniker.
I agree with Murse-In-Airy. Hopefully Ford figures it out sooner rather than later. I'm waiting to see the specs on the 2023 GTPE. If improved to at least 10 seconds of boost, I'm putting in my reservation mid to late August.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If Tesla can figure it out, then so can (why can't) Ford!

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
I think it's as simple as: They under-engineered the car/fucked up.
Certainly a possibility. I think it's a finer line than that, though. I suspect the engineers over-enginerded it, and the bean counters over-cheapified it. Question is, who won more often, and on more critical components?

I haven't seen (but admittedly haven't looked that hard) anyone complain about the general quality of parts that matter, other than the heebyjeeby, and even that's still being debated. Enginerds tend to overbuild and over-conserve, and hopefully the lawyers over-lawyered, too, to counteract the accountants.

I think Ford will reduce some of the nannies over time. I got the "power up" on my 2019 Model 3, and Tesla was a good 8 years in on data analysis by then. Hopefully Ford can collect and process data faster than that, but I'm not holding my breath. 5 seconds of max power is generally enough to take it away, in any case.

My bet is they improve the higher end acceleration first - no real reason to limit that unless it's part of a 0 to max run or the battery pouches and cooling system are just garbage. That would solve my biggest (though still not that big) complaint.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
GM’s recent history in the last decade plus is to overdeliver for the most part. And their chassis team is 2nd to none nowadays, meaning the performance vehicle group specifically. I suspect the Blazer SS will be fully baked and pull hard for 10 secs or more and have a final “boost” and “normal” power output. We shall see.

Plus, my wife’s first vehicle was a red ‘89 S-10 Blazer, so, there’s that sentimental aspect. I was always the Mustang owner until recently.

And why tf have a 2.0T when you can open up a 6.2 LS3? Haha 😎
Because VTeC yo!

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I've said it before and I'll say it again: If Tesla can figure it out, then so can (why can't) Ford!
Tesla doesn't use pouch batteries. They use metal cased batteries. That is a significant difference.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Certainly a possibility. I think it's a finer line than that, though. I suspect the engineers over-enginerded it, and the bean counters over-cheapified it. Question is, who won more often, and on more critical components?

I haven't seen (but admittedly haven't looked that hard) anyone complain about the general quality of parts that matter, other than the heebyjeeby, and even that's still being debated. Enginerds tend to overbuild and over-conserve, and hopefully the lawyers over-lawyered, too, to counteract the accountants.

I think Ford will reduce some of the nannies over time. I got the "power up" on my 2019 Model 3, and Tesla was a good 8 years in on data analysis by then. Hopefully Ford can collect and process data faster than that, but I'm not holding my breath. 5 seconds of max power is generally enough to take it away, in any case.

My bet is they improve the higher end acceleration first - no real reason to limit that unless it's part of a 0 to max run or the battery pouches and cooling system are just garbage. That would solve my biggest (though still not that big) complaint.
Probably the bean counters…someone here posted a picture of the Mach E battery pack next to a Tesla pack and the size of the *insert technical term I forgot here* on the Tesla was much more robust. Ford cheaped out on a $70k car.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Probably the bean counters…someone here posted a picture of the Mach E battery pack next to a Tesla pack and the size of the *insert technical term I forgot here* on the Tesla was much more robust. Ford cheaped out on a $70k car.
The main bus bars. I still have my reservations about some of the associated electronics as well, but the entire battery pack needs to be upgraded. Starting with one of the most basic parts… 😱🐩

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
Tesla did it OTA. Basically, they had a 5 second limit (of some sort) that they didn't advertise, and when they lifted it they marketed it as a performance boost. At least, that's what it looked like to me at the time.
lol, enjoy that Model 3
Sponsored

Last edited: