Anybody have a solution to get rid of the max 5sec power cut off

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
Electric motors have been around for a long time... I know the Tesla lovers think Elon put some sort of magic in theirs, but truly, there's nothing really revolutionary about them. The technology to package everything in a reliable car with a ~300mi range is revolutionary, but not the motor.

You get an electric motor to accelerate faster by drawing more current through it... the question is, can the motor manage that current, and handle the stress of it repeatedly pulling that current, and can the supporting parts (in Ford's case the HVBJB) handle the electrical stress without melting down.
Sponsored

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag
I appreciate you speculating on what Ford may or may not want from its customers. But, itā€™s not rocket science. They arenā€™t powered by magic, they are powered by electricity. Electricity has been around for over 200 years, so Iā€™m pretty sure there are plenty of people smart enough to determine whether increasing a software time limit on full power can be handled by an insulation rating on a cable, or what needs to be upgraded, like active cooling, in order to make it safe to get longer power. Hell, I even did that for many years myself as an engineer at a company that makes electrical products.
What you say is true, except for the lithium-ion batteries. That technology is new and still evolving. They haven't even come to a consensus yet on what cathode formulations work best. Let alone are cost effective.

FamDocDon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red MME GTPE, 2016 Mercedes AMG GLA45
Country flag
Just out of curiosity, has anyone verified the 5 sec issue with a GTPE build since the end of June, which included the new junction box? Iā€™ve got one of those, have only had it for a week, but have goosed it around our local Denver freeways and no bars or 5 sec cut off so far.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Just out of curiosity, has anyone verified the 5 sec issue with a GTPE build since the end of June, which included the new junction box? Iā€™ve got one of those, have only had it for a week, but have goosed it around our local Denver freeways and no bars or 5 sec cut off so far.
Floor it past 70 mph.

The gray bars are also pretty small and easy to miss. I didnā€™t notice them at first either.

If you floor it from a stop, they show up around 75 mph. So it takes more than just goosing it to see them.

I would love to hear theyā€™re gone, but would be shocked.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Mine wasnā€™t built with the beefier HVBJB, I have a 2021. But had it replaced with the beefier box last month, same performance and limits.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Sadly, the HVBJB isn't the only limiting factor in the GT. There are issues with the main bus bars in the battery pack being too small to handle the current draw for any period of time, as well as issues with other supporting electronics. šŸ¤¬šŸ©

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Sadly, the HVBJB isn't the only limiting factor in the GT. There are issues with the main bus bars in the battery pack being too small to handle the current draw for any period of time, as well as issues with other supporting electronics. šŸ¤¬šŸ©
Exactly. And I think the main culprit is the battery pack. Pouch batteries.

tesla2mme

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT in the best color ever made (cyber orange!)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Itā€™s still thereā€¦

metroplex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This is a problem even on the Model 3 Performance. After a few laps on a road course, the batteries get toasty and power gets reduced significantly.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
This is a problem even on the Model 3 Performance. After a few laps on a road course, the batteries get toasty and power gets reduced significantly.
A few laps?!?! Wow, what a dream! Wish the GT could make A lap before the batteries got toasty!

Space Ghost GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GLE 450, space white GT received 11/04/22
Occupation
Nerd
Country flag
Iā€™ve got a drill and some jumper cables and a .10 cent switch from harbor freight! Jk
Ford needs to beef up everything downstream of the motors.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
A few laps?!?! Wow, what a dream! Wish the GT could make A lap before the batteries got toasty!
Lol seriously!

We get 5 seconds, they get a few minutesā€¦ā€¦.

My wife wouldnā€™t be satisfied in 5 seconds, nor should she. (It happens to most men)

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Weber Auto just posted a battery cooling system video:

Sponsored