Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It’s called damage control. Maybe it’s more about what damage it would do to Fords whole e-program if a few of them caught on fire. how do you
change that lasting first impression?
nothing to do with Nannies. Patience…
Sponsored

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Close. The engineers were given criteria and metrics targets to meet. Looks like they found a way to meet the performance target while remaining inside the boundaries for reliability. How close it comes to the boundaries is what we don't know (yet). I was hoping you knew what those boundaries are but it sounds like you are in the same boat as we are at the moment.
And where do you think those criteria came from and what drive those boundaries? (it was in my previous post).

Sorry I get triggered by online bullies being condescending. I don’t typically engage in this. This community has been pretty awful about it, especially on topics that are outside the normal (build week/finally received delivery/pissed off ford doesn’t track their vehicle well after shipping/ford ).

@Peaceowl I don’t disagree if you feel like waiting for Ford to release its own solution to the 5 second limit, or any other performance upgrades for that matter. However, I was referring to the ability for an aftermarket company to come up with their own solution, which is what certain people have consistently attacked forum members for unesecarily.

Ford has already engaged with Shelby, Steeda is also actively working on performance upgrades. there are companies like Diablo that offer similar type of solutions for gas/Diesel engines. Ford has shown that they want this car to have the mustang image, which at least in my opinion, includes a robust aftermarket that isn’t limited to PPF, ceramic coatings, and wheels.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
It’s called damage control. Maybe it’s more about what damage it would do to Fords whole e-program if a few of them caught on fire. how do you
change that lasting first impression?
nothing to do with Nannies. Patience…
Again, where are you getting the idea that giving us 10 seconds of power would result in a fire??

Has any BEV ever caught fire because someone floored it, ever?

Has a Mach E caught fire from too much acceleration?

I’m pretty sure the answer to the above questions is “no.”

So if no BEV has ever caught fire or exploded from acceleration……….. why is everyone assuming that’s a concern of Ford??

Limiting due to battery longevity? Maybe. But due to fire concerns? Doubtful.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
Again, where are you getting the idea that giving us 10 seconds of power would result in a fire??

Has any BEV ever caught fire because someone floored it, ever?

Has a Mach E caught fire from too much acceleration?

I’m pretty sure the answer to the above questions is “no.”

So if no BEV has ever caught fire or exploded from acceleration……….. why is everyone assuming that’s a concern of Ford??

Limiting due to battery longevity? Maybe. But due to fire concerns? Doubtful.
Would Ford place these limitations without having reason for concern? There must be a specification, or even data that caused Ford to place limits on a performance version.

Any discussion regarding Ford alleviating these limitations on cars that have been sold is absolute speculation.

Chicago-E

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE Iconic Silver, 2021 GTPE Space White
Occupation
Generator Technician
Country flag
Help us out. What do you think is the reason why Ford has the time limit in place? Do you think it is a thermal issue of some kind? What component or components are of concern here?
The Mach-E 1400 had a bunch of extra cooling. Perhaps it is just a matter of adding more radiators and fans to the GT?
That car has 7 electric motors

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Would Ford place these limitations without having reason for concern? There must be a specification, or even data that caused Ford to place limits on a performance version.

Any discussion regarding Ford alleviating these limitations on cars that have been sold is absolute speculation.
Of course there is a reason for the limits (only Ford knows why).

The part I think is nonsense is that people are suggesting the reasons are “fire or explosions.”

What possible evidence do we have to jump to that extreme conclusion?

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
This is what Ford has said officially-

Something like “we are continuing to work on ways to make the 2021 Mach E better.”

Unofficially the only even rumor I have seen was a random comment on a YouTube video where someone claims to have talked to some drunk Ford engineers in the Detroit airport who said “10 seconds is coming in March.”

So I take that as a gospel.
12867D0E-540A-488B-AD46-4133F346DFD0.jpeg

E8C066F6-33BC-42B0-A40F-C5D77FEDEC53.jpeg
So you want a car that was created in part by very drunk drivetrain techs? Bad judgement in the airport suggests bad judgement at the design boards.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Does the Premium AWD suffer from this issue?
No. Our 4X traps 103mph in the 1/4 at >80% SOC and runs a 12.4 0-100 and a 10.2-10.4 30-100 according to my Dragy. I believe the 0-110mph was 15ish secs. It pulled linearly to the 112-114mph limit.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So you want a car that was created in part by very drunk drivetrain techs? Bad judgement in the airport suggests bad judgement at the design boards.
As long as I get MOAR POWAA, the drunker the better!

Mr67gta

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1933 Ford, 1967 Mustang GTA, DMG 2022 Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I will give you my conclusion. If you want performance, don't take a chance on Ford enabling a longer power duration at a later time.

Buy the car that has the performance.

You have been seeing its taillights in every comparison video.

I'll even tell you how they can do it.

It's the battery pack.
You mean the ugly frog face/ catfish looking cars that Elon makes.
It's the 3 carbon fiber wrapped 20,000 rpm motors and traction, voltage control software
that makes them fast.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
You mean the ugly frog face/ catfish looking cars that Elon makes.
It's the 3 carbon fiber wrapped 20,000 rpm motors and traction, voltage control software
that makes them fast.
That is the thing. You buy the car that you like to look at and I buy the car that performs. All show and no go.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
I appreciate you speculating on what Ford may or may not want from its customers. But, it’s not rocket science. They aren’t powered by magic, they are powered by electricity. Electricity has been around for over 200 years, so I’m pretty sure there are plenty of people smart enough to determine whether increasing a software time limit on full power can be handled by an insulation rating on a cable, or what needs to be upgraded, like active cooling, in order to make it safe to get longer power. Hell, I even did that for many years myself as an engineer at a company that makes electrical products.
I would point out that Tesla Ludicrous mode had a warning if you enabled it, that the motor drive system and battery system would/could be degraded by using their high performance mode. After several years it seems they determined where the actual limits of the system were, and I think the warning was not used anymore. The cars still sometime catch fire while someone is driving though, so who knows how much or little safety factory there is.
Sponsored