Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
You knew that going in. I, and many of us here, ordered April 28, 2021. Waaaaay before we knew of the schenanigans.
Yup (well, April 27, 2021 for me), and we reserved a lot earlier based on these claims. We knew top speed would be gearing limited, but we had no idea about 5 seconds of WOT and then loss of 35% (or more) of motive power or just a couple of seconds (or less) of full power if already at speed. šŸ™šŸ©
Sponsored

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
Doesnā€™t matter.

It should be able to perform as advertised.

Name a single other car being sold today that wonā€™t make it around a road course.
I would like to see Ford fix it, same as you, I guess I'm just a little more reserved in my expectations. You would not be the first person to be swindled by a company's marketing department.

Honestly, 0-60 in 3.5 seconds @ $70k is sort of a pipe dream.

Last edited:

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I would like to see Ford fix it, same as you, I guess I'm just a little more reserved in my expectations. You would not be the first person to be swindled by a company's marketing department.

Honestly, 0-60 in 3.5 seconds @ $70k is sort of a pipe dream.
A pipe dream that Tesla fulfilled with TWO of their modelsā€¦ā€¦

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
As an owner of multiple Mustang GTs, I agree that Ford does have to address this. The MachE GTPE is a great carl, don't get me wrong, but it was advertised as an Electric Mustang GT, a track prepared vehicle. It is completely understandable that some customers feel the vehicle sold and marketed is not everything Ford advertised we would get.
It is the equivalent of the Hybrid EPA advertised on their hybrid Fusions and CMax that the courts agreed was misrepresented and thus a settlement was reached and owners made whole.

While some may not have seen the MPG difference significant, some did and they were made whole.

newmme

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
My Tesla Model 3 (Long Range, not performance) was $50k (+$2k acceleration boost) and does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds.
How did you get an acceleration boost? Did you have to take it to the Tesla service center for new hardware? Or did you have to hook your car to a laptop (like people do here with FDRS?) and hack it?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How did you get an acceleration boost? Did you have to take it to the Tesla service center for new hardware? Or did you have to hook your car to a laptop (like people do here with FDRS?) and hack it?
Pretty sure itā€™s neither of those.

You pay $2k and itā€™s an OTA update.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Tesla did it OTA. Basically, they had a 5 second limit (of some sort) that they didn't advertise, and when they lifted it they marketed it as a performance boost. At least, that's what it looked like to me at the time.

newmme

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
Tesla did it OTA. Basically, they had a 5 second limit (of some sort) that they didn't advertise, and when they lifted it they marketed it as a performance boost. At least, that's what it looked like to me at the time.
Why isn't Ford doing this then??? An OTA to remove the 5 sec limit on the MME?

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Because we don't really know if it is an actual hardware limitation of just Ford being conservative to avoid any potential warranty costs further down the line. Until we see the actual test data from Ford as to why they nerfed the vehicle so much all we have is speculation.

In the case of the model 3 long range it was using the exact same motor set up as the performance, just with the performance you got better brakes, different wheels etc more power and some other differences. So in simple terms they just gave owners the option to upgrade to similar power levels.

As the GT/GTPE has a different motor setup from the other trims if a higher powered Shelby variant turns up in the future that unleashes the full 562hp potential of the GT/GTPE twin motors without any 5 second nobbling using the same battery hardware then maybe we might get thrown a bone.

Ideally Ford should fix the 5 second limit and actually deliver what marketing promised. However if there are some hardware limitations I really do not understand why there have not been various cost option Ford performance upgrades in the works to fix it after all it is an EV so it is not like they have to worry about dealing with carb certification red-tape..

The platform has a lot of potential, give it the option of some better brakes, improve the steering response from that of a bus and the ability to use the full power available from the motors and apart from the low top speed which is really only going impacts those on Mexican highways and autobahns the GT/GTPE will be a very compelling performance product in regards to current a the forthcoming Korean competition as it stands right now it is not and once the tax credits run out it going to become a very hard sell as a performance EV.

MacheeeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE
Country flag
I have the GTPE. It's not the take off from a stop that's super annoying on the GTPE, but when you're already cruising and you give it some power you literally feel the power cut off. Ford needs to fix this.

DadzBoyz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach-E GTPE (ordered), 20 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Software Systems Integrator
Country flag
One acronym.

HVBJB

Now, with the new, supposedly better, stronger and/or more robust HVBJBā€¦.. Maybe they could provide the option to get rid of the 5 second penalty box.

Then again, they canā€™t until they replace a sufficient number of HVBJBā€™s to not CAUSE more warranty visits by people with the old, defective version burning them up without the 5 sec limit.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One acronym.

HVBJB

Now, with the new, supposedly better, stronger and/or more robust HVBJBā€¦.. Maybe they could provide the option to get rid of the 5 second penalty box.

Then again, they canā€™t until they replace a sufficient number of HVBJBā€™s to not CAUSE more warranty visits by people with the old, defective version burning them up without the 5 sec limit.
I donā€™t agree with this theory.

If they knew at the time the weak link and created the 5 sec limit for that reasonā€¦ā€¦. We wouldnā€™t have a recall right now, they would have just programmed it as such.

That and the fact that the non-GT vehicles have the same HVBJB issues and no limitā€¦ā€¦ and no limit post recall.

Basically the 5 seconds and the recall issues are unrelated.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I donā€™t agree with this theory.

If they knew at the time the weak link and created the 5 sec limit for that reasonā€¦ā€¦. We wouldnā€™t have a recall right now, they would have just programmed it as such.

That and the fact that the non-GT vehicles have the same HVBJB issues and no limitā€¦ā€¦ and no limit post recall.

Basically the 5 seconds and the recall issues are unrelated.
Since we are throwing out theories, my theory is the limit is due to the battery pack and cooling capability. The pack uses pouch batteries, with soft casings, which are known to swell.

Controlling the temperature of the batteries is very important, and Ford likely is being very conservative to protect the batteries and prevent damage. The soft casing allows the batteries to be packed closer together, and results in a lower weight compared to metal cased batteries. But they are more likely to swell.

So that is my theory. Maybe after lots of real world results, Ford may decide the 5 second limit can be increased to 8 or 10 seconds. But if I am placing bets, I am not betting on that. Especially after the HVBJB drama. Maybe Ford will give us less gray bars when traveling at highway speed, but I doubt the 5 second limit is going away for existing cars.
Sponsored