Anybody tried Emergency Flat-tow w Regen to charge when stuck in the boonies?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I haven't tried it, but I am concerned with an upcoming trip I have to make in Northern New Mexico.... way off main roads, NO level 3 chargers within 200 miles, and NO Level 2 even anywhere close. Trip research shows I will be right on the edge of safe range, and would be in trouble if temps drop and range is reduced much.

So, I have purchased a front tow 'bridle' for the ePony that will fit the approved tow holes under the front, and a tow strap that I *could* hook up to anybody willing to give me a tow if needed. My thought is that if my MME is 'on', and I am in 1-p with my CarScanner displaying actual kW regen 'realtime'.... I *should* be able to moderate regen braking drag to something less than 50kW so the tow vehicle doesn't bog down too badly and it would basically be like going down a long steep hill with regen to put a few kWhr back in.

10,000 strap: $26
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BFB7K8V

5,400 cluster hook bridle $56
https://www.amazon.com/Straps-Bridle-Cluster-Hooks-5400WLL/dp/B0753KSRMG

Anybody try it?
Comments?

...obviously, just for Emergencies, but what do you think?
Sponsored

Last edited:

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
I'm curious to see this bridle you mention. I think hooking it up safely is the biggest question in the proposition.

I believe the Lightning manual specifically says you shouldn't flat tow it to charge, though I don't believe the MME manual addresses it.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Won't work IMO. Manual says to put Emergency Tow mode on, and don't drive more than 35mph for a distance of 50 mi or less. Brakes are going to be next to non-existent. Also illegal, but if you're in the boonies maybe there's no police. Same exact wording in the Lightning manual.

Given we get free Roadside Assistance to the nearest charger, I would not try it. Downside is huge.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Those bridles aren't really meant to "stay in" and are just for winching rather than towing. If the cable goes slack the hooks might fall out and the bridle might end up wrapped around a wheel or something. You would have to be very coordinated (open phone line) with the tow driver and do all the braking as the follow car.

I've watched videos of people doing that with other EVs, it does work but I wouldn't want to go faster than about 30 MPH while towing. It's illegal for a reason due to safety risk to you and other drivers.

So it's possible, but would be risky, illegal, and carry chance of damaging something. It's very "redneck" IMO. I think you would be better off just finding a L1 plug and having to sit for a couple hours if you run short.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I'm curious to see this bridle you mention. I think hooking it up safely is the biggest question in the proposition.

I believe the Lightning manual specifically says you shouldn't flat tow it to charge, though I don't believe the MME manual addresses it.

not saying we *should*.... just trying to be prepared, and wanting to know if anyone *had* done it.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Won't work IMO. Manual says to put Emergency Tow mode on, and don't drive more than 35mph for a distance of 50 mi or less. Brakes are going to be next to non-existent. Also illegal, but if you're in the boonies maybe there's no police. Same exact wording in the Lightning manual.

Given we get free Roadside Assistance to the nearest charger, I would not try it. Downside is huge.
roadside assistance.... in Northern New Mexico ?! LOL

Hence my question.... NOT using Emergency tow mode, but using regen and monitoring input seems like it should work just fine. I don't see how the MME could distinguish the difference between regen going down a long hill and moderate flat tow with 1-p throttle management.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Those bridles aren't really meant to "stay in" and are just for winching rather than towing. If the cable goes slack the hooks might fall out and the bridle might end up wrapped around a wheel or something. You would have to be very coordinated (open phone line) with the tow driver and do all the braking as the follow car.

I've watched videos of people doing that with other EVs, it does work but I wouldn't want to go faster than about 30 MPH while towing. It's illegal for a reason due to safety risk to you and other drivers.

So it's possible, but would be risky, illegal, and carry chance of damaging something. It's very "redneck" IMO. I think you would be better off just finding a L1 plug and having to sit for a couple hours if you run short.
yes, it's very redneck.... but that's where I'm headed, rural Northern NM.... people towing each other is almost commonplace. ;)

maintaining strap tension *should* be easier with 1-p regen than it is with 'regular' braking. I could just watch my CarScanner display and maintain 20-50kW regen until I have enough kWhr to make it to the nearest L2....

areas where there are NO houses, NO businesses, NO chargers for 50-100 miles.... If it gets cold, and my range drops an extra 20 miles, I don't want to have to call for flat bed tow from the nearest city and wait 4 hours for them to maybe arrive and maybe not even have a flat bed available.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Not sure wether the area had RV campgrounds or not, but many remote destinations do. Bring your mobile charger and most RV campgrounds have a 240V outlet for shore power. You can typically pay for a site for the night and get charged up in 6-8hrs in case of emergency.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
agreed.... flat-towing is never 'safe'. But might be better than stuck on rural road 50 miles from the nearest anything.

I'm not too interested in what the manual recommends. I want to be 'as safe as possible, but get the job done'. For example, I had NO hesitation installing a rear tow hitch; to use for my bike rack, and provide emergency tow loops in case I bury my nose in a snowbank.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Not sure wether the area had RV campgrounds or not, but many remote destinations do. Bring your mobile charger and most RV campgrounds have a 240V outlet for shore power. You can typically pay for a site for the night and get charged up in 6-8hrs in case of emergency.

RV campgrounds in NNM forests are generally closed October-May, so that's not an option. There are areas in the middle of some of the larger Natl forests I will be passing through where there is NOTHING but forest for 50 miles in either direction, nearest town is further than that, and maybe just a few cars/trucks passing by per hour.

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
I haven't tried it, but I am concerned with an upcoming trip I have to make in Northern New Mexico.... way off main roads, NO level 3 chargers within 200 miles, and NO Level 2 even anywhere close. Trip research shows I will be right on the edge of safe range, and would be in trouble if temps drop and range is reduced much.

So, I have purchased a front tow 'bridle' for the ePony that will fit the approved tow holes under the front, and a tow strap that I *could* hook up to anybody willing to give me a tow if needed. My thought is that if my MME is 'on', and I am in 1-p with my CarScanner displaying actual kW regen 'realtime'.... I *should* be able to moderate regen braking drag to something less than 50kW so the tow vehicle doesn't bog down too badly and it would basically be like going down a long steep hill with regen to put a few kWhr back in.

Anybody try it?
Comments?

To get to the root of your question without the ifs ands and buts, and nannies, yes, there should be no reason why it wouldn't work. Car won't know any difference. For all it's concerned, you've just been slowing down forever...lol

I'm sure there's a safety factor, a heat factor, etc. But if it's the risk you and the tow vehicle are willing to take, then by all means, go for it.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Isn’t the the use case for: buy a Honda generator at Home Depot AND a 5 gallon gas can. Fill the gas can. Put the generator and the gas can in the back. Hope you don’t have to level 1 charge to get you to the nearest gas station to buy more gas for the generator?

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Rent a vehicle - is it worth the risk? If you go for it I did read a post where an owner was luckily able to charge at a shut down for the winter RV park.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Rent a vehicle - is it worth the risk? If you go for it I did read a post where an owner was luckily able to charge at a shut down for the winter RV park.
no, it's not worth renting a vehicle for the *fairly low* risk. I just want to have a plan, and was looking for any technical gotchas I might have overlooked. So far, its looking like a decent technical emergency solution.... despite the nannys. I figure that jumper cables, tow strap, and tow bridle are a good thing to have in the car when traveling rural roads. I'd like to be able to give OR get an emergency tow out of a ditch, or for a few miles...

It was me that found a live L2 outlet in Abiqui at a closed camp area on my last trip to Chama... but that was pure luck, and it might not be available in the future.
Sponsored