Anyone else have a disappointing test drive?

4TangledKites

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Acura RDX
Country flag
Just got home from test driving a Select AWD (maybe w/ Tech package). This is the first time I got to see the MME in person. I've read just about everything on this forum, and watched all the YouTube reviews. After all the positivity, I feel like my experience was lacking. Maybe I built it up to much?

First of all, the car looked great - I was very happy that the pictures online did it proper justice. It was smaller than I had expected from the exterior, but plenty big in the main cabin. The rear storage was smaller than I'd hoped, but no big deal. The interior was very nice. The screen interaction was plenty fast - no lag.

The driving experience....I'm not sure what I think yet. I'm new to BEVs - drove a model S once many years ago. The MMW was certainly fast, deceptively fast I think due to the lack of sound. It was super quiet. But it just didn't feel right. I played with 1 Pedal on/off and mostly in Unbridled. I'm wondering if the lack of noise feedback just threw me off (even with the fake sound on). I used to have a 2011 BMW 335i that was absolutely a dream to drive. I did not feel the same in the MME.

I only drove for ~20min, and not really on any "fun" roads. So maybe just not enough time to get comfortable? I have a Premium 4X on order, and my dealer should have a FCTP coming in a few weeks. So I should have plenty of chance make up for today's experience. Planning to test drive a MY and an e-tron as well just for comps.

Anyone else had motion sickness concerns? I do get motion sick when I'm a passenger, and I almost felt like I could feel it in the MME even as a driver. Worried my kids will have trouble in the back seat!
Sponsored

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Just got home from test driving a Select AWD (maybe w/ Tech package). This is the first time I got to see the MME in person. I've read just about everything on this forum, and watched all the YouTube reviews. After all the positivity, I feel like my experience was lacking. Maybe I built it up to much?

First of all, the car looked great - I was very happy that the pictures online did it proper justice. It was smaller than I had expected from the exterior, but plenty big in the main cabin. The rear storage was smaller than I'd hoped, but no big deal. The interior was very nice. The screen interaction was plenty fast - no lag.

The driving experience....I'm not sure what I think yet. I'm new to BEVs - drove a model S once many years ago. The MMW was certainly fast, deceptively fast I think due to the lack of sound. It was super quiet. But it just didn't feel right. I played with 1 Pedal on/off and mostly in Unbridled. I'm wondering if the lack of noise feedback just threw me off (even with the fake sound on). I used to have a 2011 BMW 335i that was absolutely a dream to drive. I did not feel the same in the MME.

I only drove for ~20min, and not really on any "fun" roads. So maybe just not enough time to get comfortable? I have a Premium 4X on order, and my dealer should have a FCTP coming in a few weeks. So I should have plenty of chance make up for today's experience. Planning to test drive a MY and an e-tron as well just for comps.

Anyone else had motion sickness concerns? I do get motion sick when I'm a passenger, and I almost felt like I could feel it in the MME even as a driver. Worried my kids will have trouble in the back seat!
where are you at in kentucky?

silvercurves-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW
Country flag
I also test drove Select AWD today. Overall impressed with car but completely echo your comments about motion sickness. I was in the back while my wife test drove and using one pedal driving, I was getting motion sickness. I, too, worry about my poor kids in the back seat. It was definitely better without one pedal and I am sure over time we'll get used to driving it more smoothly to avoid passenger motion sickness?

I am definitely going with GT or Performance edition. Don't get me wrong, select AWD will more than satiate most drivers but I need a little more oomph.

As noted by someone else, frunk was also pretty small but all I need to store charging cables and anything that can move around the back.

This tester didn't have glass roof and I am convinced that I would need to order this as an option for GT.

Again, overall an awesome car and hope to place an order once my reservation moves to the next phase, hopefully by later this spring.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Motion sickness does seem to be a common complaint with 1 pedal driving enabled; apparently you have to get used to it so it's not such a herky-jerky ride. Probably similar to riding with someone just learning to drive stick shift.

Dimetri0s

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender & Polestar 2
Country flag
Had concerns about motion sickness as well, it's the reason I'm getting rid of my current car. However, watching videos from EV News test drivers, they don't mention it at all. So everyone is probably right here, it takes some getting used to.

Another thing to be aware of is how silent it is. That fake acceleration sound may be more than just a neat feature. Since MME is so quiet, sound insulation and acoustic glass up front blocks out a lot of the electric motor 'whine', they may have added the noise for buyers not used to BEV silence.

Engineers have struggled with too quiet of a car before causing nausea- Rolls Royce's new Ghost had issues in development. The Rolls-Royce Ghost was so eerily quiet inside the ... - CNNhttps://www.cnn.com › 2020/09/01 › success › rolls-royce...

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium STD RWD Shadow Black
Country flag
the jerkyness and motion-sickness is definitely from 1 pedal drive and the regen. it's even more extreme in unbridled vs the mellower whisper mode. you can turn off 1 pedal drive or start with whisper mode until you get more used to it.

i've driven in all 3 modes and although unbridled is fun, the truth is for most of my day to day commute, whisper is just fine and much less jerky

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
When the first model S came out. Dear lord the pedal mapping was not that good. you would get motion sickness all the time. Still in a model 3 performance, my nephew can make your stomach like an ocean. Yes, tesla are worse on that.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'm very similar to your situation. I test drove a Select AWD two days ago (posted my review here: Groundhog Day MME Test Drive - Ann Arbor, MI | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum - MachEforum.com ). I also currently drive a BMW 328d and ordered a MME Premium AWD ER.

My review of the MME is positive, and I had my Tesla Model Y test drive only 6-7 weeks ago, so I had a good comparison. The test drive met my expectations of the vehicle, and the fact that my son loved it helped as well! No motion sickness from my end, and I actually really liked the 1-pedal driving option...I feel like you get used to it VERY quickly. Every time I'm decelerating I feel great about the fact that I'm recharging the battery AND not wearing down the brake pads.

About the comparison to a BMW: I love BMWs and have driven them the last 11 years. I think the MME is a pretty good substitute; the suspension is a bit less firm, but still stiff enough to keep me happy. The steering and braking aren't as refined, but I'm willing to sacrifice that for zero emissions, great acceleration, and a LOT less maintenance (as a fellow BMW owner you know what I'm talking about).
Sponsored