Anyone else have a noise from 29-31 MPH?

Finkerton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag
There is a particular noise I hear from 29-31 MPH -- it's hard to describe but maybe like if you circle a wet finger around a wine glass. Not super high pitched (that's the instrument cluster PWM ? ), not super low, not super loud but definitely noticeable. As I accelerate, it's basically like the pedestrian sound and the sound of the engines spinning up fades to nothing as I get to about 25...then at 29 this other sound starts up and goes away at about 32.

My first thought was that there's some kind of resonance being caused by wind, maybe because the rear panel under the hood broke a clip when I had to jump my LVB so it doesn't stay perfectly flush. Then I thought maybe it has to do with the automatic vents in the front under the logo -- I know they open up at some speed, so maybe I'm hearing some kind of wind resonance that abates when they open up. But this is all spitballing and neither feels likely.

Extended AWD in case that matters.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Finkerton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag
I came from a Bolt and we have electric public transit trains here so I'm quite familiar with electric whine as EVs accelerate and decelerate. This is not a sound that I can match to one from either.

I'm not saying it's a problem. I'm just trying to figure out if it's normal for this car.

cjljr41

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e Premium 4X, '23 Escape Platinum Hybrid
Country flag
Yes, I've noticed it too. I was wondering if it there was something wrong with the motors, but now that someone else has noticed it, I'm gonna assume it's normal. I also have the ER AWD.

dww

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Jaguar XJ8, 2000 Ford F250 SD XL 4WD
Occupation
Winemaker
Country flag
There is a particular noise I hear from 29-31 MPH -- it's hard to describe but maybe like if you circle a wet finger around a wine glass. Not super high pitched (that's the instrument cluster PWM ? ), not super low, not super loud but definitely noticeable. As I accelerate, it's basically like the pedestrian sound and the sound of the engines spinning up fades to nothing as I get to about 25...then at 29 this other sound starts up and goes away at about 32.

My first thought was that there's some kind of resonance being caused by wind, maybe because the rear panel under the hood broke a clip when I had to jump my LVB so it doesn't stay perfectly flush. Then I thought maybe it has to do with the automatic vents in the front under the logo -- I know they open up at some speed, so maybe I'm hearing some kind of wind resonance that abates when they open up. But this is all spitballing and neither feels likely.

Extended AWD in case that matters.
I just saw a post that there is possible fix......I have this also from 28-32 mph. TSB 23-2168 and I'm trying to find out if I have to take it in? See the forum post on this today.
Sponsored