Anyone else slightly disappointed with Adaptive Cruise Control + Lane Centering (hands-on "Blue Cruise")?

geftsnowball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-E, Grabber Blue, Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Anyone else coming from a prior Ford Co-Pilot 360 with Adaptive Cruise Control + Lane Centering vehicle and feeling disappointed with how the Mach E handles the exact same thing?

I've read the accounts of Blue Cruise ping-ponging and hugging the right line and was hoping it was the hands-free version people complained about...

In the last 1.5 weeks I've driven the exact same roads that I had in a Maverick with Co-Pilot 360 ACC + Lane Centering and have been disappointed to experience that the Mach E doesn't handle the same exact roads as well as the Maverick did... The Mach E engages ACC + Lane Centering less frequently ("Blue Cruise" with hands required in the Mach E) and absolutely is less smooth at lane centering. Places where I'd lightly keep a hand on the wheel previously I now need to carefully monitor and adjust steering (Or I feel like I need to because it's bouncing around).

I thought I read somewhere (before picking up my Mach E) that there was a setting to a more aggressive lane centering that can help but perhaps I misread or misremember... is this a thing?

Hoping future updates smooth this out. I still don't regret the purchase -- just voicing some disappointment with poorer performance after what I considered an upgrade.

(Edit: thanks for the move! Didn't see the "Driving Aids" in the category name so general seemed the best match)
Sponsored

Last edited:

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I am happy with it, and it works better than the adaptive cruise on my wife's XT5. Of course her car is older, so I don't think it is a high bar.

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
I'm ping-ponging all over the place in my new GTPE whereas my Select held the center of the lane very well.

I'm going to figure out how to recalibrate or ask the dealer to.

OP
OP
geftsnowball

geftsnowball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-E, Grabber Blue, Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I am happy with it, and it works better than the adaptive cruise on my wife's XT5. Of course her car is older, so I don't think it is a high bar.
I think what's most disappointing is that I was expecting at least the -same- experience with ACC + lane centering between vehicles when moving 'up' from a Sync 3 vehicle to a Sync 4 vehicle with supposedly at least the same ACC capability.

mh58

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME P4X
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yep. My husband is always asking why the car is driving closer to right when vehicles are there and more centered when it is clear.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I have now driven 4 different Mach-E vehicles in BCHF mode. They all were different. Range from barely usable to pretty darn good.

It can be a crap shoot unfortunately.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I have now driven 4 different Mach-E vehicles in BCHF mode. They all were different. Range from barely usable to pretty darn good.

Mine is in the pretty darn good camp. Sometimes it needs to find the right lane to center properly, but after that it works great with little intervention. I often take my hands off the wheel and do stuff while the car drives for me.

sborsch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME; 2020 Lexus NX300 Hybrid
Occupation
I.T. Consultant
Country flag
My MME hugs the right side of the lane as described. It also mildly “ping pongs” within a lane, so much so that I turn it off since it is very easy to steer without it.

That said, I’d sure love to use it and rely on it.

waldo1949

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue mach e 4x
Country flag
Anyone else coming from a prior Ford Co-Pilot 360 with Adaptive Cruise Control + Lane Centering vehicle and feeling disappointed with how the Mach E handles the exact same thing?

I've read the accounts of Blue Cruise ping-ponging and hugging the right line and was hoping it was the hands-free version people complained about...

In the last 1.5 weeks I've driven the exact same roads that I had in a Maverick with Co-Pilot 360 ACC + Lane Centering and have been disappointed to experience that the Mach E doesn't handle the same exact roads as well as the Maverick did... The Mach E engages ACC + Lane Centering less frequently ("Blue Cruise" with hands required in the Mach E) and absolutely is less smooth at lane centering. Places where I'd lightly keep a hand on the wheel previously I now need to carefully monitor and adjust steering (Or I feel like I need to because it's bouncing around).

I thought I read somewhere (before picking up my Mach E) that there was a setting to a more aggressive lane centering that can help but perhaps I misread or misremember... is this a thing?

Hoping future updates smooth this out. I still don't regret the purchase -- just voicing some disappointment with poorer performance after what I considered an upgrade.

(Edit: thanks for the move! Didn't see the "Driving Aids" in the category name so general seemed the best match)
It works fine for me and almost exactly the same as ACC in my other car. This is my first car that steers itself (Lane Plumbing centering) and I love it.

waldo1949

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue mach e 4x
Country flag
It works fine for me and almost exactly the same as ACC in my other car. This is my first car that steers itself (Lane Plumbing centering) and I love it.
…(lane centering)…

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag

Yeah, that is what it seems like from reading comments. Our Blue Cruise works wonderfully and I love using it. I don't tend to use the "hands-on" mode much, just hands free. On local roads I like to keep complete control, and have the speedometer centered in the display

TD1273

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford F-350
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We have 22 Premium AWD Ext range and ours stays perfectly centered and adaptive blue cruise control works great no complaints

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

My 2021 Premium RWD SR was a ping ponging mess but BC did work well otherwise.

My last 2 MMEs have solid BCs - occasionally will trigger a brief ping pong but 95% of the time does not. 22 Premium AWD ER and a GTPE trims.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag

This is very interesting. What do you think caused the differences in your experience? I want to think the software is consistent (assuming versions get upgraded, which not all have been and that's a separate problem).

But otherwise, what could explain the differences? Hardware calibration? Mid-year or model year changes in parts?

My BlueCruise is pretty good, but I really want the "Hey, that other car is too close on the right, I will move more left to compensate" that Ford says is now BlueCruise v1.2. Which may or may not be an option to upgrade on original MME hardware.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
This is very interesting. What do you think caused the differences in your experience? I want to think the software is consistent (assuming versions get upgraded, which not all have been and that's a separate problem).

But otherwise, what could explain the differences? Hardware calibration? Mid-year or model year changes in parts?

My BlueCruise is pretty good, but I really want the "Hey, that other car is too close on the right, I will move more left to compensate" that Ford says is now BlueCruise v1.2. Which may or may not be an option to upgrade on original MME hardware.
Pretty sure it is software that is the difference. In my personal car...BCHF failed to install via dealer. Then it installed via OTA but still didn't work. 4 months later the dealer tried again and Ford said there was some corrupt software on their servers. They fixed that and BCHF worked. It worked poorly, but it worked.

Then about a month later, I received an OTA for map updates and some other "tweaks". BCHF was excellent. I really liked and posted about it. Was actually giddy about it.

Then another week later another OTA and it was crappy again. Not all the way crappy like before......about half regression.

What OTA giveth......gets taken away later. Work in progress apparently.
Sponsored