Anyone find a phone mount for the Mach-E dashboard?

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext Range
Country flag
OK so I realize with the huge LCD screen, Apple Car Play and the wireless charging pad the first thing everyone will ask is "why do you need a phone mount?". Granted the car has a huge screen and the interface is supposed to be great and I admit I have not gotten my order yet so i haven't tried to work with the built in interface but I have Apple CarPlay on my current car and I never use it because its too dumbed down (too many missing apps and limited accessibility to some features). Unless they have made a dramatic modification I would rather not be stuck using that.

The problem is that the dash leaves very little opportunity to put a phone mount anywhere near the driver. A vent mount would get in the way of the ignition button and the speaker fabric seems to make a dash mount difficult to attach. I'm guessing Ford just figured everyone would use their interface and leave the phone on the wireless charging pad. If anyone has tried to mount a Phone I would be interested in hearing how you did it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone find a phone mount for the Mach-E dashboard? iphone mach e

Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 5.18.24 PM.png

AFVolt

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
Just curious what you feel are the limitations of Apple CarPlay?

I know it has Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Waze. Along with Apple Music and Podcasts, I think It has everything I need.

Not trying to being snarky with your question, I currently don’t have CarPlay so am not familiar with its limitations vs the apps on the iPhone.

OP
OP
macgyver60

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just curious what you feel are the limitations of Apple CarPlay?

I know it has Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Waze. Along with Apple Music and Podcasts, I think It has everything I need.

Not trying to being snarky with your question, I currently don’t have CarPlay so am not familiar with its limitations vs the apps on the iPhone.
Not snarky at all. It's an obvious question. I use a lot of different apps on my phone but not always the ones Apple thinks are best. I use Stitcher for pod casts, I use the find friends app to figure out where family members are as I'm headed home, my job requires that I use an encrypted communication app that is not in CarPlay and there are several others. I can understand why Apple CarPlay would be more than adequate for 90% of people or more but I find it too limited and need access to iPhone's interface.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
OK so I realize with the huge LCD screen, Apple Car Play and the wireless charging pad the first thing everyone will ask is "why do you need a phone mount?". Granted the car has a huge screen and the interface is supposed to be great and I admit I have not gotten my order yet so i haven't tried to work with the built in interface but I have Apple CarPlay on my current car and I never use it because its too dumbed down (too many missing apps and limited accessibility to some features). Unless they have made a dramatic modification I would rather not be stuck using that.

The problem is that the dash leaves very little opportunity to put a phone mount anywhere near the driver. A vent mount would get in the way of the ignition button and the speaker fabric seems to make a dash mount difficult to attach. I'm guessing Ford just figured everyone would use their interface and leave the phone on the wireless charging pad. If anyone has tried to mount a Phone I would be interested in hearing how you did it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone find a phone mount for the Mach-E dashboard? Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 5.18.24 PM

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone find a phone mount for the Mach-E dashboard? Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 5.18.24 PM
How about one of WeatherTech's cupholder phone mounts (CupFone)? https://www.weathertech.com/products/weathertech-cupfone/

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
In my current car, I am using an Arkon that mounts on the windshield and extends out over the edge of the dash.
https://www.arkon.com/product/SM6-CM117-long-windshield-phone-mount.html
Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone find a phone mount for the Mach-E dashboard? 1612209125890

This is terrific, as it keeps the phone up at eye level. I think it would work fine in the MME. The pic above has the phone in landscape mode, but I use it in portrait and it is great and very secure.

IMHO, the WeatherTech cupholder mount is ridiculous because you have to take your eyes off the road and look way down to see it. Their marketing machine is good, but the phone mount is unusable in my opinion and very unsafe.

I also find it very helpful to have both the phone and Carplay active at the same time. In the Maps app, different info is displayed on each screen (turn-by-turn directions on the small phone screen, and the map on the large display). You can obviously switch to a different app on the phone while Carplay stays on the map app.

OP
OP
macgyver60

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In my current car, I am using an Arkon that mounts on the windshield and extends out over the edge of the dash.
https://www.arkon.com/product/SM6-CM117-long-windshield-phone-mount.html
1612209125890.png

This is terrific, as it keeps the phone up at eye level. I think it would work fine in the MME. The pic above has the phone in landscape mode, but I use it in portrait and it is great and very secure.

IMHO, the WeatherTech cupholder mount is ridiculous because you have to take your eyes off the road and look way down to see it. Their marketing machine is good, but the phone mount is unusable in my opinion and very unsafe.

I also find it very helpful to have both the phone and Carplay active at the same time. In the Maps app, different info is displayed on each screen (turn-by-turn directions on the small phone screen, and the map on the large display). You can obviously switch to a different app on the phone while Carplay stays on the map app.
I think this might be the best option for me but how do you stop it from bouncing around. When I've used anything with a long stem in the past it seemed to swing and bounce too much

Last edited:
OP
OP
macgyver60

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How about one of WeatherTech's cupholder phone mounts (CupFone)? https://www.weathertech.com/products/weathertech-cupfone/
I did consider that but If the phone is down in the cup holder its difficult to access the screen to launch an app. Granted we're not supposed to be touching and looking at the screen when we're driving but pulling it out of the holder to see if a notification is important enough to pull over for seems pretty dangerous.

OP
OP
macgyver60

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Possibly a mount to the back of the large lcd with a horizontal arm coming to the left. Or the space on the dash in front of the large LCD.
I just took a look at a photo I took of the car at the dealer a few months ago. If you look through the front window it appear that the rear of the LCD is not a smooth surface. It would be difficult if not impossible to attach something there. It was a good thought though.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone find a phone mount for the Mach-E dashboard? IMG_3356.JPG

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
I think this might be the best option for me but how do you stop it from bouncing around. When I've used anything with a long stem in the past it seemed to swing and bounce too much
I've used this on two cars and bouncing has never been a problem; never even thought about it. You can tighten the "joints" so there is no play and it stays stationary.
If you end up going this way, please let us know how it works with the MME. When I get my car, which probably won't be until summer at this point, I will transfer from my Clarity to the MME, but can't check it until then.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
I just took a look at a photo I took of the car at the dealer a few months ago. If you look through the front window it appear that the rear of the LCD is not a smooth surface. It would be difficult if not impossible to attach something there. It was a good thought though.

IMG_3356.JPG
I would say the double sided tape may work, the same stuff used for dash cams. 3M VHB. Long strips of it attached to a channel bracket. May not necessarily look the best, but all black might be okay.