Anyone go from Electric back to ICE?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4669
  • Start date
  • Watchers 9

Deleted member 4669

So I have a situation that I am not sure how I am going to handle. SO Just about 2 years ago I put in a reservation for a Bronco. I had a very early (first 12 hour) reservation, so when they started shipping last spring and being a very high number at my dealer I sold my F150 in April as prices for use cars had gotten really high (didnt realize they would stay high). I figured I would be good without a car for a couple months while i waited as I was working from home. Well a month later all hell broke lose with the Bronco hard tops and I was told I wouldn’t be seeing my car until some time in 2022.

So I guess I got super lucky but after weighing my options I decided to get a Mach-e. Found a dealer who sold it at xplan pricing. I figured with the tax incentive and used car prices being high I wouldn’t really lose financially if i had it for 6 months. Well over a year later I still have it and after all this time my bronco was just built this past week and is supposed to arrive first week in august. Though now I am honestly not sure I want to keep it.

I never thought this would be the case. While I was really interested in the Mach-e to try out eletric, I am not crazy about the exterior looks. I do like the interior, the sound system and honestly the way it drives and performs is amazing. I drove my wife’s jeep a couple weeks ago and hitting the gas and having it do nothing was a bummer, lol. I have really come to love all aspects of driving an electric vehicle. Except for reload trips. Ram into a ton of issue trying to find charging in Rhode island that really blew up our plans.

But the acceleration, the upgradability, the quiet, the handling, all of these things have been great. I also finally found a real use for the frunk and use it to store all my smelly mountain biking gear instead of keeping it in the car.

SO I am not sure I can go back to an ICE vehicle. Gas prices aren’t helping. I am considering taking delivery, maybe drive the bronco for the the last month of summer and then sell it and helping to pay down the mach-e. I actually I am seriously considering a rivian. I did put in for a reservation a couple months ago and think at this point it would better suit my needs. Many of the wants from a more rugged vehicle but all the pluses I have enjoyed in the Mach-e.

So not sure where this is going to land, but interested if anyone else has done the switch back.
Sponsored

Shelbeast

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT Delivered 9/9/22, GT500
Occupation
Sausage Maker
Country flag
I read a few years ago, 1/3 of EV owners (Cali?) go back to gas.

smcnair

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Platty, Explorer Platty, '23 Premium
Country flag
I have a ME on order just to test the waters. Ordered the basic RWD Select with all available options at that trim. I may like it, I may not. If I like it I'll order a GTPE and sell the Select once it comes in. I will continue to drive the F-150 though as I use it for hauling and towing every week. It's not replaceable and with the equivalent Lightning over $90,000 I am not going that route.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have both and will probably stay that way. We do drive the Mach almost exclusively but the Expedition and F150 are better at hauling things. The real question for me is what will I do in the future with regards to a second vehicle? Go with ICE or a second BEV?

1969Camaro

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium, 2018 Prius Prime, 1969 Camaro
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
my ideal vehicle would go 75 miles on battery only and have ICE capability for long trips. The RAV4 Prime is a nice fit but are impossible to find unless you are willing to pay a very high premium.

CompilerBreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
I wouldn't go back to full ICE but our next vehicle will definitely be a plug-in hybrid. Love having full electric around town where I can just rely on my own charger, but for roadtrips the DC fast charging infrastructure just isn't there yet (also not as cost effective, but still better than gas).

River Rat

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach Ex Iced Bue, 23 Lightning Ext SW
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Originally wanted a Lightning to replace F150 Eco 2013 but they closed the order booking. So went Mache ext Premium which should be here Aug. Loved test driving and I'll see how it goes and maybe a Lightning down the road.

Puttyandnapalm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gladiator, Soon to be Mach E GT, Triumph Trophy
Country flag
I took the plunge and went full ev.

but I’m probably going to buy a beater truck orsuv for hauling/camping/light off-roading/backup in case the Mach e bricks on me or is tied up in the shop for something or other

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
After driving a Focus Electric around for 3ish years I picked up a C-Max Energi. It always bugged me in that when the ICE fired up--even though I loved the heat in the winter LOL.

Of course the Bolt and now Mach-E have large enough batteries that heat isn't an issue in winter.

Having said all that we still have the RV and the wife's car both being ICE.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Charging infrastructure was severely inadequate a couple years ago.
It still is in many regions with a lack of and/or reliability issues
Green Bay Wisconsin, 140 miles north of Milwaukee has zero dcfc ccs chargers. The state of West Virginia has only one dcfcccs. A poky 25kW one at the Harley Davidson dealerdhip in Morgantown. Michigan, home of the Federal head of Transporatation has installed mulyiple 50 and 62.5kW ccs chargers. And only one in tje Up thst has been malfunctioniing for 9 months now. The electrical infranstructure in many ares needs dignificant upgrades to support L3 charging.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Yeah. It was totally fine. Human beings are capable of enduring great hardships. This is not one of them.
Sponsored