Anyone gotten a ridiculous buy offer for your used MME?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I do have a CarMax, they offered me laughably low. They didn’t even take into account my extended range battery. They said with or without it, same offer.
good on you for checking everywhere :)

sounds like their stuff hasn't caught up with the model yet since not taking into account the battery size is insane.
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
About to trade my GB FE w 10,500 miles in for $51k towards a GT. Got several quotes including carvana and all were $50-51k.
I just got my quote from Carvana on my GB FE with 10,300 miles. $52,000

tman

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
Y'all are getting me very excited. My GT is supposed to get delivered the last week of Oct and I was going to start next week on getting prices for my 2021 Honda Accord Touring Hybrid. Bought it in May for $36K and it has about 3000 miles on it now.

Mach-Tony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Grey Premium AWD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Remember to add in all of the taxes, insurance, and registration you paid to really see what you're making off of the deal, plus whatever taxes you will pay to get into a new vehicle.

Vroom offered $48k back in August for my Premium SR AWD with 4000 miles. Even with the $14k in rebates and paying MSRP, I wouldn't come out that much ahead (registration is $500 per year here).

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Remember to add in all of the taxes, insurance, and registration you paid to really see what you're making off of the deal, plus whatever taxes you will pay to get into a new vehicle.

Vroom offered $48k back in August for my Premium SR AWD with 4000 miles. Even with the $14k in rebates and paying MSRP, I wouldn't come out that much ahead (registration is $500 per year here).
I have to think about taxes/registration, Plus another $3k for ceramic coating and PPF.

buying a 2nd EV in one year, $15,000 in tax credits does help with a lot of that though.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I have to think about taxes/registration, Plus another $3k for ceramic coating and PPF.

buying a 2nd EV in one year, $15,000 in tax credits does help with a lot of that though.
Nope, don’t think about those things.

If you think about them, you won’t be able to tell your friends and family how you “made money” on a car.

Also make sure to ignore the time value of money (inflation) and opportunity cost (investments).

Math: Ruining people’s fun since the 6th Century BC.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Y'all are getting me very excited. My GT is supposed to get delivered the last week of Oct and I was going to start next week on getting prices for my 2021 Honda Accord Touring Hybrid. Bought it in May for $36K and it has about 3000 miles on it now.
most of these sites if not all have a window where the offer is valid, so you could say do the online offer process for Carvana, CarMax, and Vroom on say the 25th and likely be covered if your GT shows up on time... plus you'd have offers in hand to use to judge whatever the dealer offers if you offer them your car as a trade-in...

and if not, at least my experience was that all three sites were fine with you blowing them off (although one of them - Vroom I think - was pretty pushy by text message for a while ?) since they know it's a competitive market with ready comparisons available and that you're just as likely to not accept the offer as to accept it.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
most of these sites if not all have a window where the offer is valid, so you could say do the online offer process for Carvana, CarMax, and Vroom on say the 25th and likely be covered if your GT shows up on time... plus you'd have offers in hand to use to judge whatever the dealer offers if you offer them your car as a trade-in...

and if not, at least my experience was that all three sites were fine with you blowing them off (although one of them - Vroom I think - was pretty pushy by text message for a while ?) since they know it's a competitive market with ready comparisons available and that you're just as likely to not accept the offer as to accept it.
It really is a great tool to have if you're trading.

My last 2 cars I got an offer from CarMax before going to the dealer to make my purchase. Both times the dealer's offer was lower, One time they matched it, and the other time they wouldn't. So I just drove back to carmax, got a check, and went back to the dealer an hour later and did a straight purchase with no trade. Carmax actually gives very competitive offers, if its a car they want to sell. If its one that won't go on their lot, the offer is not as great.

My 2019 Edge ST that I traded in for my MME, Carvana and vroom gave an offer of like 22k, and then Carmax offered 28k. Dealer offered 27k and then matched carmax.

OP
OP
Skepteach

Skepteach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium RWD
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag

Very good points to consider. My friend who just sold his LR M3 for $53,500 bought it during the summer for $48k new. He paid 6.5% sales tax and a $200 register fee (flat fee for EVs here in AR...bleh). He also paid $1500 for some upgraded Tesla 20" wheels someone local was selling. Now nearly 9k miles later and getting enough to cover the original cost of the car, taxes, the wheels, and the registration, leaving a little extra as bonus...well, it's just nuts.

Incidentally, he just purchased an ID.4 Pro S and paid $500 over invoice (~$44,700, stickered at around $47k), and will get the tax credit back in February. He won't have to pay sales tax on it since the car he just sold went for more than the one he bought. So for him, this has worked out pretty nicely.

But, it certainly is something you need to fully weigh beyond just the tempting numbers you see in that email offer.

Mach-Tony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Grey Premium AWD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Very good points to consider. My friend who just sold his LR M3 for $53,500 bought it during the summer for $48k new. He paid 6.5% sales tax and a $200 register fee (flat fee for EVs here in AR...bleh). He also paid $1500 for some upgraded Tesla 20" wheels someone local was selling. Now nearly 9k miles later and getting enough to cover the original cost of the car, taxes, the wheels, and the registration, leaving a little extra as bonus...well, it's just nuts.

Incidentally, he just purchased an ID.4 Pro S and paid $500 over invoice (~$44,700, stickered at around $47k), and will get the tax credit back in February. He won't have to pay sales tax on it since the car he just sold went for more than the one he bought. So for him, this has worked out pretty nicely.

But, it certainly is something you need to fully weigh beyond just the tempting numbers you see in that email offer.
That's nice! California doesn't allow tax breaks on trade-ins, which makes sense because CA can't live without our additional tax dollars. That tax benefit is really important to take into account, like you mentioned, because you won't have to pay taxes twice!

AlbanyIan

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 2021 Mach-E GT, Former: Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Nope, don’t think about those things.

If you think about them, you won’t be able to tell your friends and family how you “made money” on a car.

Also make sure to ignore the time value of money (inflation) and opportunity cost (investments).

Math: Ruining people’s fun since the 6th Century BC.
In NY, the sales tax is based on the price after trade allowance so it’s another $2,500 or so off a trade of $30K (if you owe nothing on it…) I usually don’t find that a 3rd party exceeds that.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
I had a 2006 Mitsubishi Outlander with over 200K miles on it sitting in the driveway. Some guy rang my bell in June and gave me $5K cash for it. It wasn't for sale (it was my dog hauler) but it's gone now. :)

• Wow
Reactions: ARK

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I had a 2006 Mitsubishi Outlander with over 200K miles on it sitting in the driveway. Some guy rang my bell in June and gave me $5K cash for it. It wasn't for sale (it was my dog hauler) but it's gone now. :)
Could have been a dealer.

I was with my sister-in-law in August shopping for a new minivan and somebody made an offer on her old Camry in the parking lot. They are like ticket scalpers... creepy dudes hanging around trying to buy and sell anything they can get their hands on.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

FCCinAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache
Country flag
Makes my offer sound pretty good. MME Premium ER RWD for 49,500 and no sales tax for private sale in AZ.
Sponsored