Anyone had 'Service Vehicle Soon' Alert (SVS) progress to 'Stop Safely Now' (SSN) before they managed to get HVBJB replaced?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I am just wondering what the risk is continuing to drive around with the SVS Alert on screen while I wait for my replacement HVBJB to arrive.

The alert DOES limit max output from normal 200kw for my Select to 125kw, so I am wondering if this has proven effective in preventing unexpected strandings with SSN
Sponsored

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I think it is fair to say that the SVS probably reduces but definitely does not eliminate the risk that your contactors will weld and fail. Several forum members (including @DevSecOps himself) had SSN after SVS. Of course, others have been able to drive around like nothing's wrong for a while.

I guess you have to evaluate if you're ok getting stranded somewhere and needing a tow to a dealer that might not be your optimal one. I would be wary to drive in rural areas in New Mexico where tow trucks and Ford dealers are few and far between.

Towing is so tough on this car if you have a bad tow operator, or are parked nose-in, that it seriously sucks. Even if you do have no problems with the tow itself, it's horribly inconvenient.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I think it is fair to say that the SVS probably reduces but definitely does not eliminate the risk that your contactors will weld and fail. Several forum members (including @DevSecOps himself) had SSN after SVS. Of course, others have been able to drive around like nothing's wrong for a while.

I guess you have to evaluate if you're ok getting stranded somewhere and needing a tow to a dealer that might not be your optimal one. I would be wary to drive in rural areas in New Mexico where tow trucks and Ford dealers are few and far between.

Towing is so tough on this car if you have a bad tow operator, or are parked nose-in, that it seriously sucks. Even if you do have no problems with the tow itself, it's horribly inconvenient.
yes, Northern NM would be a bad place to be stranded.... which is why I am postponing some JOBS until after Service. Stranding would be not only inconvenient, but delays are costing me jobs. ;(

parking I'm not worried about since I have a tow hitch with loops in the back, and a tow strap with proper hooks for front holes if needed.

Since I have an AWD Select, not GT, I am hoping that the SVS power cap will keep me rolling until replacement.... but I sure would like to know some actual numbers of how many people made it, and for how long they continued driving (miles/trips) before they progressed to either replacement service, or died with SSN.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Todd would have numbers on this more than anyone. It's happened a few times but is still somewhat rare. My guess is you have 1-10% chance of converting to a SSN in the first 1000 miles after a SVS. I think some people have driven close to 1000 miles on SVS before replacement without issue.

Prolonged high-speed driving, driving up mountains, and high-power DCFC may increase your risk of getting SSN even with the SVS power limit in place. There is also a large random component to how fast your contactors will degrade further.

I believe you also have a reduced risk of getting a SSN if you’ve been driving with the recall software for a longer time period (months) before getting a SVS. Because that means it was detected earlier in the failure process. The cars that had SVS pop up in the week or two immediately after the recall update was installed likely had more pre-existing damage that wasn't detected with the old software, so they were more likely to convert to SSN.

Personally I'd recommend limiting charging to <75 kW, avoid driving up mountains, and limit the speed to 70-75 MPH if I was driving with a SVS.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Todd would have numbers on this more than anyone. It's happened a few times but is still somewhat rare. My guess is you have 1-10% chance of converting to a SSN in the first 1000 miles after a SVS. I think some people have driven close to 1000 miles on SVS before replacement without issue.

Prolonged high-speed driving, driving up mountains, and high-power DCFC may increase your risk of getting SSN even with the SVS power limit in place. There is also a large random component to how fast your contactors will degrade further.

I believe you also have a reduced risk of getting a SSN if you’ve been driving with the recall software for a longer time period (months) before getting a SVS. Because that means it was detected earlier in the failure process. The cars that had SVS pop up in the week or two immediately after the recall update was installed likely had more pre-existing damage that wasn't detected with the old software, so they were more likely to convert to SSN.

Personally I'd recommend limiting charging to <75 kW, avoid driving up mountains, and limit the speed to 70-75 MPH if I was driving with a SVS.
thanks.... helpful confirmation of what I was planning to do. I NEVER have used DCFC, so thats not a problem. I'll keep an eye on power output and connector temps, but I have to drive to job sites so I am pretty nervous about getting stranded or missing appointments.

ckt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach-e Select AWD shadow black built 12/21
Country flag
So I've got the SVS message, and in fordpass it says powertrain malfunction and high voltage battery warning.

Any chance I can get a rental either from Ford or local Ford dealer today?

I've called several dealerships and the soonest to check my car is in 7 days.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
So I've got the SVS message, and in fordpass it says powertrain malfunction and high voltage battery warning.

Any chance I can get a rental either from Ford or local Ford dealer today?

I've called several dealerships and the soonest to check my car is in 7 days.

current Ford policy is that the DTC codes must be verified at an authorized Service Dealership.... even though it could be done remotely with FDRS.

So, make an appt.....
They will not give you a rental with SVS Alert.... you have to actually croak and get stranded with a SSN before you get a tow and a rental.

are you watching @Ford Motor Company ?!
the SVS alert , DTC verification, and HVBJB order process is being handled BADLY and creating huge PR problem, losing trust, and killing faith in the Mach-e as well as Ford's reputation

ckt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well the SVS message and related warning icons are no longer on the IPC, but still exists in Fordpass/vehicle-alerts.

Am I in the clear? I.e. very low risk of getting stranded before my service appointment?

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Well the SVS message and related warning icons are no longer on the IPC, but still exists in Fordpass/vehicle-alerts.

Am I in the clear? I.e. very low risk of getting stranded before my service appointment?
my SVS alert has stayed on screen, even after Dealer verified w/ FDRS.

were you able to read your DTC via ODB2 when the Alert was showing ?
Is it possible that Dealer cleared your DTC, or have you not been in yet ?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
thanks.... helpful confirmation of what I was planning to do. I NEVER have used DCFC, so thats not a problem. I'll keep an eye on power output and connector temps, but I have to drive to job sites so I am pretty nervous about getting stranded or missing appointments.
I’ve read on here that SSN has happened to people who never DCFC and rarely (never) engage in WOT events, but I’d defer to @DevSecOps for the definitive answer on that. I’ve ceased giving friends “launch tunnel” rides (0 - a bit above our legal speed limits in this area 😀) and I have no reason to DCFC. I’m hoping that there will ultimately be a general HVBJB recall, but things don’t look too promising.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I’ve read on here that SSN has happened to people who never DCFC and rarely (never) engage in WOT events, but I’d defer to @DevSecOps for the definitive answer on that. I’ve ceased giving friends “launch tunnel” rides (0 - a bit above our legal speed limits in this area 😀) and I have no reason to DCFC. I’m hoping that there will ultimately be a general HVBJB recall, but things don’t look too promising.
I have NEVER used DCFC
I have an AWD Select SR, so was in a 'lower' risk group than GTs for sure
I *only sometimes* hit the afterburner with repeat WOT and regen.... in the mountains mostly

.... I did not get the SVS until I allowed the 'recall' software update OTA. SVS popped up a couple weeks after update after no more memorable hard driving 'events'. The SVS Alert also clamps down on max output from 200kW (in a Select AWD) to about 125kW as far as I can tell looking at my ODB2 display, so I am hoping to limp along until physical HVBJB can be replaced per TSB 22-2178

Say Watt

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE (Bought back), 2022 Kia EV6 GT-L, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Retired Electronics
Country flag
3,297 miles and two DCFC charges. I just got my SVS and a "POADE" code today while doing 65MPH on the freeway. The dealer said they can't look at it until October 25th :mad:. I called Ford to open a case and they said they wouldn't do it until the dealer actually diagnosed the issue.

And I got another update...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone had 'Service Vehicle Soon' Alert (SVS) progress to 'Stop Safely Now' (SSN) before they managed to get HVBJB replaced? IMG_3395.PNG

...with Video Games! Whoopie! Prefaced with this note...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone had 'Service Vehicle Soon' Alert (SVS) progress to 'Stop Safely Now' (SSN) before they managed to get HVBJB replaced? IMG_5A78F00C92B8-1

"enhance the quality, capability and convenience of the vehicle"??? It will give you something to do while waiting for the tow truck - if the 12 volt battery still works.

I'm going to leave it at the dealer on Monday. I'm not going to risk SSN. Fortunately, I have a reliable Kia EV6 to drive until then.

ckt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
my SVS alert has stayed on screen, even after Dealer verified w/ FDRS.

were you able to read your DTC via ODB2 when the Alert was showing ?
Is it possible that Dealer cleared your DTC, or have you not been in yet ?
Hmm, the SVS related alert is now gone from my Fordpass. And sadly no, I haven't taken it to dealer yet or got the DTC when it happened. Here's my current DTC code (attached).

The only thing I can think of that might have cleared the alerts is I've received 2 OTA updates since the SVS message.

I'm thinking of cancelling my service appointment since this just might be a false alarm?

Screenshot_20221015-123342.jpg

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Hmm, the SVS related alert is now gone from my Fordpass. And sadly no, I haven't taken it to dealer yet or got the DTC when it happened. Here's my current DTC code (attached).

The only thing I can think of that might have cleared the alerts is I've received 2 OTA updates since the SVS message.

I'm thinking of cancelling my service appointment since this just might be a false alarm?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone had 'Service Vehicle Soon' Alert (SVS) progress to 'Stop Safely Now' (SSN) before they managed to get HVBJB replaced? Screenshot_20221015-123342
I don’t think your SVS was related to the HVBJB, seems like a soft error. There are multiple causes for a SVS besides the HVBJB. I’m not seeing anything there.

Reactions: ckt

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone had 'Service Vehicle Soon' Alert (SVS) progress to 'Stop Safely Now' (SSN) before they managed to get HVBJB replaced? Screenshot_20221015-123342
The SVS code can be cleared by a dealer or you (using Car Scanner as an example). This does not repair the damage to your contactors, and the DTC code will come back and/or you're probably going to get stranded with a SSN....

Reactions: ckt